TV: Band of Brothers

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Enjoyed BoB a lot -- but definitely need to go back and rewatch it as its been so long I think it would almost feel like new.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I absolutely loathe everything that David Schwimmer has been in, especially Friends, but he is simply spectacular in BoB. He set the tone for the series during boot camp.

agreed, he was great as captain sobel. Was reading his wiki page and found out that he tried to kill himself in 1970 but only blinded himself and didn't die for 17 years later in a VA assisted living home of malnutrition and no services were held for him. Doesn't seem right that he wasn't honored for his services though.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
agreed, he was great as captain sobel. Was reading his wiki page and found out that he tried to kill himself in 1970 but only blinded himself and didn't die for 17 years later in a VA assisted living home of malnutrition and no services were held for him. Doesn't seem right that he wasn't honored for his services though.

He had a funeral, of course, and no member of Easy company showed nor did his wife and kids

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Jesus, that's f***ing terrible, poor guy.

I hope one day there is a 'BoB' show, but from the German perspective. Generation War was great, but it was half drama as well.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Jesus, that's ****ing terrible, poor guy.

I hope one day there is a 'BoB' show, but from the German perspective. Generation War was great, but it was half drama as well.
Would probably be better to do a WW1 series from the German perspective.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Capt. Ronald Speirs: You know why you hid in that ditch, Blithe?
Pvt. Albert Blithe: I was scared.
Capt. Ronald Speirs: We're all scared. You hid in that ditch because you think there's still hope. But Blithe, the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead, and the sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier's supposed to function. Without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends on it.

Just saw a doc with Winters and he addressed the stuff in the series and book that he did. When the lawyers read Ambrose original draft, Ambrose called Winters say lawyers were afraid Spiers would sue. Winters was given a list of what the lawyers were afraid of.

Winters called Spiers to talk about the list. Spiers asked Winters 'What are they afraid of'?

"You suing"

"Why would I sue"?

"Well, the book says you did some nasty stuff"

"Well since I did it, they are safe"

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He had a funeral, of course, and no member of Easy company showed nor did his wife and kids

He did not want easy company there. A few years ago my uncle who is in the military lent me one of the books he was given in order to become an officer. There was a chapter on the duality of winters and Sobal and the complex nature of leadership.

Later in life, many Easy company personal tried to contact Sobal to thank him for what he did. I think it Guernier who said (I could be wrong on the person) While Winters made Easy company. Sobal built Easy company.

I know a few places talk about him being Jewish, but there were several Jewish guys in Easy company

Sobal went to his grave jealous not only of Winters but the legacy of easy company.

Every reunion they had, Sobal was invited. He went only once but was reportedly verbally abused by some of the unit that hit drunk.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Jesus, that's f***ing terrible, poor guy.

The TV version of "Das Boot" is probably the closest thing to that. Its about the Battle of the Atlantic and therefore not completely comparable to Band of Brothers but there are still a lot of similarities and quality wise is way beyond "Generation War". A complete equivalent doesn't exist and is probably never going to happen because of budget constraints of german productions...

Reactions: NinjaKick

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I though the same thing after initially watching The Pacific. After giving both multiple watches, I've come to think that The Pacific is actually better or at least as good. The biggest contrast for me is the way they're going about telling the stories and how they focus on each. Both are top notch as far as I'm concerned and I'd watch either at any given time.

Reactions: frisco

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I love a podcast and I have been obsessed with Band of Brothers for years so I will definitely be checking this out.

One of my life dreams is to visit all the locations in Europe that still have surviving BoB monuments and attractions.

Obviously with Covid travel restrictions I haven't really been able to start properly, but I live very near the village of Aldbourne in Wiltshire, which is where they were stationed prior to D-Day and I believe is named in the 2nd episode of the series when they are training and Sobel cuts the fence when he gets lost. So I went to have a look around on D-Day last year.

There are a few acknowledgements of their presence that exist today, including the pub having one of the famous blue plaques which are mostly only found in London to mark a former residence of some deceased celebrity or other historical figure.

Here are some personal photos from my visit which I'd like to share:

IMG_20200606_132837.jpg
IMG_20200606_132848.jpg
IMG_20200606_133209.jpg

I intend to return at some point because apparently the two pubs in the village have more Easy Company memorabilia inside, unfortunately last time I went the pubs were closed.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He did not want easy company there. A few years ago my uncle who is in the military lent me one of the books he was given in order to become an officer. There was a chapter on the duality of winters and Sobal and the complex nature of leadership.

Later in life, many Easy company personal tried to contact Sobal to thank him for what he did. I think it Guernier who said (I could be wrong on the person) While Winters made Easy company. Sobal built Easy company.

I know a few places talk about him being Jewish, but there were several Jewish guys in Easy company

Sobal went to his grave jealous not only of Winters but the legacy of easy company.

Every reunion they had, Sobal was invited. He went only once but was reportedly verbally abused by some of the unit that hit drunk.

I’m sure there was a lot of jealousy that Sobel had, but from everything I read, his biggest issue was the shame he felt for not being allowed to serve.

Constantly having to explain that to people and live with it for the rest of his life, I would assume created demons in his head that he couldn’t overcome.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I’m sure there was a lot of jealousy that Sobel had, but from everything I read, his biggest issue was the shame he felt for not being allowed to serve.

Constantly having to explain that to people and live with it for the rest of his life, I would assume created demons in his head that he couldn’t overcome.

As suggested in the series he failed field combat service and training and that was the problem.

He was given a chance to run a front line unit and he failed at it. He cracked under pressure and could not multi task.

He was his own worst enemy. He was jealous of the fame the 101 got.

I have family who have served and are serving. One guy is like Winter. But two are in logistics and have mastered the job they have been given

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
As suggested in the series he failed field combat service and training and that was the problem.

He was given a chance to run a front line unit and he failed at it. He cracked under pressure and could not multi task.

He was his own worst enemy. He was jealous of the fame the 101 got.

I have family who have served and are serving. One guy is like Winter. But two are in logistics and have mastered the job they have been given

He was by all accounts a great trainer, but that doesn’t mean he would have been a great combat leader.

Just two entirely different things and I suspect that shame ate him up…. especially back then when it was such a huge thing to answer the call of duty for your country.

Many of the surviving members of the original Easy co. over the years have actually thanked his son, Michael, for what Sobel did for them.

He was apparently misunderstood and unfortunately misrepresented by Ambrose (according to many who actually knew the real Sobel)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He was by all accounts a great trainer, but that doesn’t mean he would have been a great combat leader.

Just two entirely different things and I suspect that shame ate him up…. especially back then when it was such a huge thing to answer the call of duty for your country.

Many of the surviving members of the original Easy co. over the years have actually thanked his son, Michael, for what Sobel did for them.

He was apparently misunderstood and unfortunately misrepresented by Ambrose (according to many who actually knew the real Sobel)

It is also in the book that many of the guys who served under Sobel said that what he put them through helped them make it through the way. One of them said "Winter gets the credit he deserves, but without Sobal--there would not have been an easy company"

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It is also in the book that many of the guys who served under Sobel said that what he put them through helped them make it through the way. One of them said "Winter gets the credit he deserves, but without Sobal--there would not have been an easy company"

Unfortunately, most people will just watch the series or read the book and not bother to research the man as we did.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Unfortunately, most people will just watch the series or read the book and not bother to research the man as we did.

There is a reason why I look beyond a simple narrative, many years ago I knew a man who at the time, was famous for being viewed as a villain in history(not for anything the caused any deaths). I knew he was a recluse and when I got into high school I found out why. Before he passed away I asked for his side of the story and while he did some stuff that is viewed as being under handed--he had a reason for doing what he did. But because the public has already decided he was a villain, they had very little interest in his side of the story

there is always more to any story--but every story needs a villain--whether or not the person is an actual villain does not matter

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Just saw a doc with Winters and he addressed the stuff in the series and book that he did. When the lawyers read Ambrose original draft, Ambrose called Winters say lawyers were afraid Spiers would sue. Winters was given a list of what the lawyers were afraid of.

Winters called Spiers to talk about the list. Spiers asked Winters 'What are they afraid of'?

"You suing"

"Why would I sue"?

"Well, the book says you did some nasty stuff"

"Well since I did it, they are safe"

I read this from you earlier today and, just now, while watching completely unrelated videos, YouTube recommended to me this one, in which Winters tells another version of the story:

Google can be scary. It's like they were looking over my shoulder while I was reading your post (in Chrome) and then fed it to YouTube. :laugh:

Last edited:

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I'm not sure I've ever felt such an emotional reaction to a movie or show than when the troops first entered that concentration camp. Just thinking about it makes my chest a bit heavy.

Every time I rewatch, I both look forward to and dread "Why We Fight". The scene where they make Liebgott tell the prisoners that they have to go back into the camp breaks my heart every time I see it.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Every time I rewatch, I both look forward to and dread "Why We Fight". The scene where they make Liebgott tell the prisoners that they have to go back into the camp breaks my heart every time I see it.

Cheapened a little bit by the fact that Easy company didnt actually liberate it, but great series of scenes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad