TV: Band of Brothers

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
'What were you thinking? Dragging our ***** half way around the world, interrupting our lives. For what, you ignorant, servile scum.'

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Capt. Ronald Speirs: You know why you hid in that ditch, Blithe?
Pvt. Albert Blithe: I was scared.
Capt. Ronald Speirs: We're all scared. You hid in that ditch because you think there's still hope. But Blithe, the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead, and the sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier's supposed to function. Without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends on it.

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Also sucked to have 3 episodes with no Guarnere, Buck, Toye or Muck but they were still very very good episodes. Still though, to lose them all in such a short time was v sad.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
Imagine how weird it would have been to have those 4 guys gone, and Martin as well. Decent creative decision by them to keep him for the end of the series.

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
My only problem with Band of Brothers is that I watched the Pacific right after. Pacific's an okay series on its own, but after Brothers it was comparatively such a let down that I wish I had watched the Pacific first.

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
My only problem with Band of Brothers is that I watched the Pacific right after. Pacific's an okay series on its own, but after Brothers it was comparatively such a let down that I wish I had watched the Pacific first.

I find the Pacific has some great episodes (Iwo Jima one) and others that don't quite live up.

Where in Band of Brothers - there is really no bad episode.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

I think you meant to post in this thread:

Controversial Entertainment Opinions/Discussion Thread - Part II

:naughty:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The thread on the upcoming 3rd WWII series from HBO has sort of been the recent de facto thread for Band of Brothers and Pacific talk:

TV: HBO's The Mighty Eighth (WWII miniseries about U.S Airforce from Tom Hanks)

I watched both for the first time just last Summer and posted my thoughts in that thread. Suffice it to say, I loved Band of Brothers, agreeing with you that it deserves all of the praise that it gets, and was disappointed in The Pacific (though largely in comparison to 'Brothers').

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Band of Brothers is about as perfect as a miniseries can get. I'm actually in the middle of rewatching it right now.

The interviews with the actual soldiers from the company really hit me hard. Especially now that most, of not all, of them are dead.

Reactions: Afterburner

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The attack on the town of Foy is to this day still one of my favourite TV scenes ever.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
I find the Pacific has some great episodes (Iwo Jima one) and others that don't quite live up.

Where in Band of Brothers - there is really no bad episode.

I think The Pacific's biggest problem was the split narrative over three marines in completely different units. With Band of Brothers you are literally following along with a single band of soldiers as they move from battle to battle, bond, and deal with their losses.

The Pacific whiplashes between Basilone who's scenes are mostly of him being sent home after earning the medal of honor and two other guys Leckie and Sledge who are split between different islands, battles, and units. You never get a chance to know anyone around them in depth or, why you should care that they bought it.

If they had just focused on just one of Sledge or Leckie's viewpoints with maybe Basilone's homefront pov as a counter balance it would have made a much better narative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad