Ban goalies from playing the puck?

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
Remember when goaltenders would leave the net and you'd get that rush of excitement that something might go down. I miss thinking get back in the net! Then again is doing a lot to kill my excitement for the game for quite a while now.
You are obviously not a Pekka Rinne fan then. He's like a damn lost boy out there sometimes.

We've threatened to develop a "goalie-leash" and tie him to the crossbar.
No doubt he is one of the best puck handlers in the league and helps the NSH breakouts tremendously, but there are at least 2 heart attack inducing adventures with Rinne on average per game.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Reverse the trapezoid and ban goalies from playing the puck inside it, allow them to be in the corners. Would cause more chaotic situations and mad scrambles I think.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Remove the trapezoid. Goalies will play it more, and we will see less dump and chase.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don't like it when goalies who are absolutely clueless with the puck get bailed out. That also is a large difference maker. It should be tracked(good play vs bad play) by advanced stat guys so we'd see the real difference between a guy like Price vs a guy like Lundqvist.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
Am i the only one on this site that likes the way the game is?
Only thing i'd consider changing is to actually start calling the interferences and remove coaches challenge.

SCampo98

Dec 24, 2015
Sherbrooke, QC
Just wondering, what would the game look like if goalies were banned from going behind the goal to play the puck? Would it help or hurt the game? Discuss.

I think the opposite should happen, I think goalies should b able to play the puck on any part of the ice, like it used to be in the 40s and 50s. After the goalie gets past his face-off dot though, he should be considered the same as a normal player and therefore susceptible to open ice checks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad