Ban goalies from playing the puck?

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Just wondering, what would the game look like if goalies were banned from going behind the goal to play the puck? Would it help or hurt the game? Discuss.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Removing the application of any useful skillset never helps a game evolve.

You want to stop a goalie from playing the puck? Don't dump it in. Carry it in with possession.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Just wondering, what would the game look like if goalies were banned from going behind the goal to play the puck? Would it help or hurt the game? Discuss.

Hurt it.

Even the current trapazoid is garbage.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I actually want the opposite and allow goalies go hog wild and get rid of the trapezoid and let them do their thing

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Ban goalies is more like it

It would increase goal scoring..
thinking.gif

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I disagree, I personally think they should get rid of the rule that disqualifies goalies from crossing the red line.

I want more of this:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I say get rid of that annoying centre line rule too :sarcasm:

I think what would be great is when a team gets called for a penalty is instead of the goalie going to the bench for an extra player he just skates down the ice and blocks the other goalie

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Idea: 3 points for getting puck past the goalie, 2 points for hitting the crossbar and 1 point for hitting the post.

Multiplier for zone that shot is taken in. E.g. 1.0x in offensive zone, 3x between offensive blue line and red line, 6.5x between defensive blue line and red line, 10x in defensive zone above hash marks, 15x in defensive zone between hash marks and goal line, 100x for behind the defensive zone goal line. Goalies also have a multiplier of 1000x.

For example, a goal by a goalie would be worth (1)x(100)x(1000) if taken behind the goal line. Now tell me that won't help the league get goal scoring up. That would be 100,000 POINTS!

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Idea: 3 points for getting puck past the goalie, 2 points for hitting the crossbar and 1 point for hitting the post.

Multiplier for zone that shot is taken in. E.g. 1.0x in offensive zone, 3x between offensive blue line and red line, 6.5x between defensive blue line and red line, 10x in defensive zone above hash marks, 15x in defensive zone between hash marks and goal line, 100x for behind the defensive zone goal line. Goalies also have a multiplier of 1000x.

For example, a goal by a goalie would be worth (1)x(100)x(1000) if taken behind the goal line. Now tell me that won't help the league get goal scoring up. That would be 100,000 POINTS!
Throw power ups on the ice too. Rocket skates, fiery slapshots, goalies who can temporary transform into actual brick walls.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Throw power ups on the ice too. Rocket skates, fiery slapshots, goalies who can temporary transform into actual brick walls.

Keep guys like McDavid off actual teams and just have them available as an extra skater power-up at every game.

2 minutes of McDavid as a 6th attacker once you get 100 style points for goal celebrations as judged by the America's Got Talent judges.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Instead of preventing goalies from going behind the net, prevent them from sprinting up the ice to get the puck and prevent a breakaway. :sarcasm:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Allow the goalies to play the puck anywhere and be open season to be hit if they move outside of the crease.

This allows the potential for mistakes. The trapezoid just pushes goalies tighter into their creases. Less risks taken. Makes mediocre goalies look better.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd actually love to see a goalie who can evolve the game like Bobby Orr. Maybe you get a guy who is so good he can do what Roy did on that goofy play on a regular basis and at least be able to start the transition game up to the blueline? Maybe the equipment gets a little more streamlined to allow a goalie to play a rover role? Maybe you won't be allowed to pull goalies in the future and they have to be part of the attack?

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Remember when goaltenders would leave the net and you'd get that rush of excitement that something might go down. I miss thinking get back in the net! Then again is doing a lot to kill my excitement for the game for quite a while now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad