Baltic Hockey League

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
So, LHF confirms 9 teams to take part. It's still the Latvian league, under Optibet hockey league name, but winner of the playoffs will be awarded as Baltic champion. Best Latvian and best Lithuanian team - national champions. Season to begin on September 3.

Dinamo Riga replaces Olimp Riga among the participants. Still, from what we've heard over the summer, it'll probably be the same Olimp core, just playing under Dinamo brand and with their financing.

Lithuanian teams - Kaunas City, Hockey Punks, Energija.

And, as I was afraid, 4 rounds of games. So 4*8 = 32. Certainly a way to increase the level of play - decrease already the ridiculously small number of games.
Why no Estonian teams ? I know they were in negotiations with Mestis, but this league would be upgrade, and I assume cheaper, over their Coolbet league, right ?

Last edited:

GX

Dec 28, 2011
I guess Lithuanian federation has been more active and closer to the Latvian one over the years. While indeed Estonians rather attempt to develop their hockey under Finnish umbrella. You may regularly find Lithuanian youth teams playing in the Latvian junior leagues, Energija already had a decent run in the Latvian league in the past.

It is also an open question whether Lithuanian championship will be played at all? If 3 out of 5 teams play in Latvia and the winner gets the Lithuanian title, perhaps they are joining their ex-championship (or, the two teams left) together with their second-tier tournament.

LKI

May 15, 2016
Jūrmala
So, LHF confirms 9 teams to take part. It's still the Latvian league, under Optibet hockey league name, but winner of the playoffs will be awarded as Baltic champion. Best Latvian and best Lithuanian team - national champions. Season to begin on September 3.

Dinamo Riga replaces Olimp Riga among the participants. Still, from what we've heard over the summer, it'll probably be the same Olimp core, just playing under Dinamo brand and with their financing.

Lithuanian teams - Kaunas City, Hockey Punks, Energija.

And, as I was afraid, 4 rounds of games. So 4*8 = 32. Certainly a way to increase the level of play - decrease already the ridiculously small number of games.
Is this a done deal ? Or negotiations with Kurbads is still ongoing ?

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Is this a done deal ? Or negotiations with Kurbads is still ongoing ?
From the looks of it it is a done deal, I wouldn't expect anything to change, however, it's the Latvian league - I think there have been last-minute participant changes at some point during the last 10 years.

Reactions: LKI

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
What will happen with other two Lithuanian teams from last season, LTselect and Kalpieda ? Will they move to Ltu 2nd league or ?

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
How come Zemgale joined Mestis and Dinamo Riga didn't? One would assume that the parent team among the two would play on higher level, right?

LKI

May 15, 2016
Jūrmala
How come Zemgale joined Mestis and Dinamo Riga didn't? One would assume that the parent team among the two would play on higher level, right?
Dinamo Riga budget was made up from Russian gas money.
By themselves they either can't afford or don't want to afford having team in Mestis.
Still, things might change next year.. who knows.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
So, Zemgale has their old core at the camp - Jekimovs, A.Ozolins, Dikis, Cimermanis. I would expect an upgrade in the net and a few more fringe national team guys, but overall they are the likely experienced core that will be built around a few U-20 national team guys + overgrown ex-HK Riga guys.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
So, Zemgale has their old core at the camp - Jekimovs, A.Ozolins, Dikis, Cimermanis. I would expect an upgrade in the net and a few more fringe national team guys, but overall they are the likely experienced core that will be built around a few U-20 national team guys + overgrown ex-HK Riga guys.

Will this turn in to some kind of, who wins the Latvian league gets invited to Mestis? Or did I read it wrong?

Also, GX, as you are very knowledgable about Latvian league - how are Zemgale going to afford this when ticket prices are so low and attendances aren't so high?

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Will this turn in to some kind of, who wins the Latvian league gets invited to Mestis? Or did I read it wrong?

Also, GX, as you are very knowledgable about Latvian league - how are Zemgale going to afford this when ticket prices are so low and attendances aren't so high?
The deal is that Zemgale plays Mestis for at least three seasons. Historically Zemgale has been one of the teams relying mostly on public funding by the local municipality of Jelgava. Then they have some local/regional sponsors + some tiny ticket revenue.

For Mestis, they need 3-4x larger budget (EUR 1-1.5m range was mentioned by team director). At this point it's not really clear how they have managed to do it, we'll probably understand more in a few months. Very likely that the federation has helped in some indirect way (i.e., head of federation is also CEO of the main natural gas company of Latvia). Probably municipality has slightly increased its budget. And the younger players will be trading experience for barely liveable salaries.

Reactions: filip85 and Rigafan

GX

Dec 28, 2011
League ban on Russians and Belarusians will stay in place for 22/23. May be interesting, as the Lithuanian teams also had plenty of Russians last season. Ukrainians not considered imports.

The league has a 7 import limit, will it also apply to Lithuanian teams? And I guess Lithuanians on Latvian teams (and vice versa) also shouldn't count as imports anymore?

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Maybe a little bit clearer system for 23-24 season? Shouldn't they all play that Baltic Hockey League then?
It sounds interesting, but then let's do two divisions with ~8 teams each (like Baltic Basketball League did in the past). Otherwise the level of play would decrease too far.

Reactions: Pardus

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
League ban on Russians and Belarusians will stay in place for 22/23. May be interesting, as the Lithuanian teams also had plenty of Russians last season. Ukrainians not considered imports.

The league has a 7 import limit, will it also apply to Lithuanian teams? And I guess Lithuanians on Latvian teams (and vice versa) also shouldn't count as imports anymore?
Do you know if there is a ban on RUS/BLR players in Estonia ?

GX

Dec 28, 2011
So, most rosters are up and Zemgale plays Mogo on Saturday as the season opener. Like always, most games will be streamed on Sportacentrs.com/broadcast on TV4.

Overall, Latvian teams are not looking that good. Dinamo is currently a weaker version of Olimp (though they hope to attract a few more players), Mogo will 'focus' on youth and only a few experienced players remain, Prizma is also a bit weaker and Dinaburga is especially bad - it has only junior players and a few staff members.

Some remarks from today's press conference:
- Latvian federations has talked to Estonians as early as summer 2021, however, with no results so far. Hope for next season
- Lithuanian teams have a budget of EUR 80-100k (without ice expenses), which is very low even for Latvian league standards. I guess almost nobody gets a salary?

tornaado66

Dec 12, 2019
Tallinn, Estonia
Why no Estonian teams ? I know they were in negotiations with Mestis, but this league would be upgrade, and I assume cheaper, over their Coolbet league, right ?
Estonian teams were invited, but none of them wanted to join the new league. Most likely due to money and also Latvia's ban on RUS/BLR players.
Do you know if there is a ban on RUS/BLR players in Estonia ?
No ban here.

tornaado66

Dec 12, 2019
Tallinn, Estonia
Do you know if Estonian teams like HC Panter or Välk 494 are going to join next season? And is there anything new on Tallinn Mestis project?
No news on the Mestis project. But I think work for it has not yet stopped. I predict we will not hear anything new before world championships in Tallinn.

Also no info about Estonian teams joining the league. And I am not familiar with their budget situation. Although I have heard, that if Kurbads had won the Estonian championship last season, they would have joined the latvian league.
I think it is highly likely Kurbads will join next year and keep playing in the Estonian league with its youngsters, similarly to HS Riga with its second team.

The issue with HC Panter and Välk joining the Baltic league, is that other Estonian clubs cant be forgotten. Some kind second tier Baltic league should be implemented then or something like that. Otherwise we will completely kill the hockey in eastern Estonia, because those three eastern clubs playing in the Estonian league are introducing the sport of hockey to a lot of kids. Attendance is the highest in eastern Estonia and if they dont have anywhere to play at, interest in hockey will disappear there. It suddenly becomes a complicated demographic problem which I think could be solved by the cooperation of baltic's ice hockey federations or simply by money.

One possible outcome for next season is that if we manage to create a Mestis team, then Estonian championship will stay as it is. And that would create a vision for young talented players playing IN Estonian clubs. That would also create interest in estonian players playing abroad to come back home. In addition it may help develop better coaching for other estonian clubs especially to Narva, Kohtla-Järve, Tartu and other rural areas, which they desperately need.

So I think like this situation the most, as it is doable. BUT IF the mestis team will not be tied to or not cooperating with Estonian ice hockey federation then all those positives will be thrown out of the window and this project will become damaging to ice hockey in Estonia. This cannot happen, but I am worried a little bit.

My most desired possible outcome, but the most utopian is a proffesional baltic league with at least 3 teams (Tallinn, Tartu and eastern Estonia) from different Estonian cities and a second tier league system for smaller clubs. That would create the same positives mentioned in the first outcome and additionaly grows hockey in rural parts in Estonia.

Likliest outcome is that no team joins the Baltic league, no Mestis team, nothing changes and stagnation in Estonian hockey continious.

I got a bit carried away with it, but these are the thoughts that have come to my mind. :)

Estonian teams were invited, but none of them wanted to join the new league. Most likely due to money and also Latvia's ban on RUS/BLR players.

No ban here.
UPDATE:
Russian players are pretty much banned, as it hard now for russians to get work visas. Everest is the only team, that struggels with this situation, but they were hopeful they will get the visas eventually.

Reactions: Pardus

tornaado66

Dec 12, 2019
Tallinn, Estonia
How is the OHL going on so far? I am aware of the standings, but how is attendance, level of play and are the lithuanian teams making the league more exciting?

EDIT: Also what happened to Olimp and Liepaja?

Last edited:

GX

Dec 28, 2011
How is the OHL going on so far? I am aware of the standings, but how is attendance, level of play and are the lithuanian teams making the league more exciting?

EDIT: Also what happened to Olimp and Liepaja?
Well, the level of play .. is not that high. Despite that, attendance of Latvian teams seems to be in line with last season. Moreover, due to electricity bills all of the teams (except Dinamo?) finally charge for entrance or have increased the ticket price.

You can compare the level of play, while looking at HS Riga's competitiveness, as it is essentially the same team year after year. Now they may even be slightly weaker than pre-2020, as during Covid junior players couldn't practice for a longer time, so maaaany moved to play outside Latvia.

18 of the Latvia U18 and U17 national team players called up for the November exhibition games play outside Latvia. To compare, last year at a 51-player U18 camp there were 12 foreign players.

Concerning attendance, Vilnius regularly has 1000+ fans. Their arena looks better and more modern than any of the small Latvian rinks, even though it is also 20 years old.

Olimp was/is a project funded by some half-shady Kazakh betting money. It was running out fast already last year, so they were weaker than before. During summer, players approached Dinamo Riga, expressing wish to continue playing. So, Dinamo Riga is essentially a continuation of Olimp. 90% players are the same. But also Dinamo operates with a really low budget.

Liepaja still exists as a municipality-run club. In Latvia2 and all the kids leagues. Their motivation to drop out this season largely lies in resentment over the RU/BY player import ban. Last winter they had 6 RU/BY forwards, with Dmitri Pestunov as a highlight. Then, suddenly, they barely had 12 forwards to ice, and no title hopes anymore. They may return sooner than later, though, as not having a league team might influence the financing they can raise.

(Kurbads it seems has found a sustainable business model for the club, which I hope means they would return to Latvian league too. You have kids parents paying for practice and a bunch of recent retirees that both play and work as coaches. The pre-2020 model of Kurbads didn't have the kids pay-to-play part and usually had +/- 5 fully professional players. :D)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad