Baltic Hockey League

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
With Google translate from hockey.lt:

The two teams taking part in the Lithuanian championship will try their hand in the next season and have submitted applications to participate in the Baltic League on the International Energy and Hockey Punks. We would like to remind that four Latvian and two Lithuanian and Estonian teams won the competition in the newly established league in the debut season.

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
Only one team from Estonia will be competing in the inaugural season of BHL.

But that's not bad news. I was already worried if there will be any.

Now I'm excited to hear the Latvian participants.

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
After all the league is not happening. At least this season.

So sad. But not surprising. Every attempt to raise the level of Estonian club hockey fails.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Funny you say that since it was Estonian teams that refused to participate. So the effort wasn't even made.

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
First rounds of BHL are finally happening next weekend 27.-29.11. in Tartu (EST) and Vilnius (LTU). Teams participating in Tartu are home team Välk 494, HK Mogo (LAT) and Kaunas Hockey (LTU). In Vilnius group are playing home team Hockey Punks, HK Liepāja (LAT) and HC Everest (EST). Kohtla-Järve HC Everest took Narva PSK's place due to bad covid situation in Narva.

Final tournament will take place in Rēzekne, Latvia 18.-20.12. Two best teams of both first round groups will get there and determine the first Baltic champion in 19 years.

Last time teams played for Baltic club championship was in 2000-01 season:
Baltic League (ice hockey) - Wikipedia

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Latvian federation states that LT group will also be broadcast on Hockey Lietuva accounts on FB and YT.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Of all the games, I'm probably most interested to see how Hockey Punks look vs Liepaja. I doubt they have a real chance, but the game won't be a blowout, that's for sure. Depends, of course, on the roster both teams can ice. As guys under 18 are not currently allowed to compete in Latvia due to local Covid rules, I wonder, whether Liepaja will give a few of them a chance to play in these games, where, I guess, they can technically participate in.

KTl

Apr 11, 2019
Valk-Mogo game was cancelled, not sure why though. Sucks, I was looking forward to watching it.
Four Valk players were tested positive for Covid19. The BHL board will discuss who will go to final four, although the two teams both won their first game and hence should be qualified.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Sejejs, head coach of Liepaja and former long-time GM of Dinamo Riga: Baltic league would be more useful as a pre-season tournament. Teams from Poland or Sweden should be attracted.

Reactions: Kalv

KTl

Apr 11, 2019
Any chance that the final tournament is going to happen this season?

tornaado66

Dec 12, 2019
Tallinn, Estonia
Estonian Champion Tartu Välk 494 will not participate in the final tournament, due to many injured players. They decided that they cant play well at a high level with a short bench.

I think it is understandable as they had 10 games in october in total. But it is a shame, because I dont believe Hockey Punks is able to challenge the Latvian teams.

Will the final tournament be streamed (internationally)?
It should be. I guess we will find out when the games start. I might be able to share a link then

Reactions: Pardus

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
Finnish 2nd league Mestis has expressed interest to include teams from Riga and Tallinn to join it.

My suggestion for divisions would be like this:

North division: 7 teams from Finland

South division: Tallinn, Riga and 5 teams from Finland

Regular season within the divisions, four best of each divisions to playoffs. Last ranked Finnish teams of both divisions to qualification with Finnish 3rd tier teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad