Ballparks you have been to (current and present)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Starting up my trip in 10 days. I have most of it mapped out, but I have ~24 hours unplanned for Kansas City. Any tips with BBQ/food in the area?

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Starting up my trip in 10 days. I have most of it mapped out, but I have ~24 hours unplanned for Kansas City. Any tips with BBQ/food in the area?

I had to stay in the city, so I didn't go to the famous one. But, Jack Stack was FANTASTIC.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I had to stay in the city, so I didn't go to the famous one. But, Jack Stack was FANTASTIC.

Jack Stack was the one that my friend (who moved there several months ago) recommended as well. I was thinking doing that for BBQ and then maybe a steakhouse somewhere else.

I was trying to avoid renting a car, but it looks like the stadium/airport are pretty spread out from the city.

StatesideSensFan

Jun 29, 2003
Atlanta
Jack Stack was the one that my friend (who moved there several months ago) recommended as well. I was thinking doing that for BBQ and then maybe a steakhouse somewhere else.

I was trying to avoid renting a car, but it looks like the stadium/airport are pretty spread out from the city.

Yea it is. KCI is closer tof Omaha than KC I think.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Safeco Field
KingDome
Oakland Coliseum
Angels Stadium
SkyDome 4 times, was just there almost a year ago for Jays/Rays

Stadiums I want to check out.

1. AT&T in SF
2. Wrigley
3. New Yankee stadium since I cant check out Old Yankee Stadium
4. Dodgers Stadium
5. Fenway
6. PNC
7. Minute Maid

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA

You need a car for sure, the airport, stadium and downtown are completely spread out. Stadium is probably 15-20 minutes from downtown or the Plaza assuming it is not rush hour.

Jack Stack is great, a little more upscale-ish than the granddaddy's like Gates and Arthur Bryant's and of course Oklahoma Joe's/Joe's KC (the original in the gas station). Joe's has a couple other locations in the Kansas 'burbs. Jack Stack has 3 or 4 locations around town. BB's Lawnside is another great little place and they have live blues all the time. There are too many great little BBQ places to name and depending on who you ask, you'll get different and very opinionated responses on which is the best. Don't step into a BBQ argument between locals, it can get ugly. Just stay away from the chain places like Famous Dave's. And know that the KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce you see in your local grocery store is, in fact, considered far from a masterpiece in KC. More along the level of excrement from the cow or pig you are eating. Make sure to get burnt ends, whatever you do...can just be as a side...it's a local delicacy.

If you go downtown at all, the Power & Light District is the biggest concentration of food and entertainment. I much prefer the older Country Club Plaza (locally...just, "the Plaza") to the south of downtown though. I find it much more walkable, with stores, restaurants and apartments lining a creek. Plaza III is one of the older, more famous KC steakhouses although I haven't been in forever so I don't if it is still good. Same for the Majestic downtown, it's a landmark but haven't eaten there in forever. Anton's Tap Room downtown is a newer joint with good steaks, great drinks and a hipper location in the revitalized warehouse district known as the Crossroads (just south of the downtown loop but north of the Plaza). Rye might be my personal favorite restaurant in town but you'll spend a lot and it is well south in the tone-y Kansas suburb of Leawood.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. Lived here all 36 years of my life, first half on the KS side, second on the MO side.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Thanks for the post! Last night I tentatively settled on Gates/Jack Stack/Arthur Bryant's as my three meals plus the Indians/Royals game.

Definitely looking forward to trying burnt ends and performing the pull test on brisket. I ended up getting a hotel closer to my friend's place in Overland Park.

I did spot Plaza III by one of the Jack Stack locations. I figured I ought to get a Kansas City strip steak at some point, but a couple of the reviews I read on Plaza III weren't too kind.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Looks like I'm going to Busch next Monday.

I wasn't too impressed. A completely open upper level concourse, are you serious? Can't see the field from the lower level concourse, not a fan of that either.

I really liked the outfield area. Ballpark Village was cool, but pricey.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Past Stadiums:

Shea Stadium - It was a dump, but it was my dump. I basically lived at Shea Stadium during Summer Vacation in high school.

Yankee Stadium - Not a Yankee fan so the history didn't do anything for me. Take that away, and it wasn't that great of a stadium.

RFK - Awful. trapped the heat, terrible design, lacking basic amenities.

Current:

Citi Field - Not terrible but not great. Definitely grew on me alot more with the Mets actually playing playoff games there

New Yankee Stadium - They tried as hard as they could to remake the old Stadium with modern amenities, and its pretty close. Not bad, but not overly remarkable.

Citizens Bank Park - Nice Ballpark, good atmosphere, easy to get to. There aren't too many bad seats there either. My only issue would be how it tries to be this intimate old timey baseball stadium, yet is built in the vacant lot in south philly surrounded by 2 other stadiums and a sea of parking spaces.

Camden Yards - Beautiful Ballpark, great atmosphere, right by the inner harbor. One of my favorites

Nationals Ballpark - Nice ballpark with good sight lines, but lacked a bit of character IMO

PNC Park - Best ballpark I have ever been to. Great atmosphere, great view of downtown Pittsburgh over the right field wall, very clean, no bad seats.

Progressive Field - only been once, but I very much enjoyed this park.

Oakland Coliseum - its been 18 years but from what I remember its was alot like Shea Stadium

Minors: (I don't remember the actual names)

Binghamton Mets park - Boring

Harrisburg Senators Park - Its on an island in the Susquehanna river. Saw Bryce Harper get himself a golden sombrero in 2011 at Cliff Floyd Bobble head night. Fun time

Brooklyn Cyclones - If you get the chance to see a game here, go.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Shea, New Shea, Yankee, New Yankee, Vet, New Vet, Camden Yards, PNC, The Jake, Wrigley, Comiskey, Fenway. Been to the Skydome for an Argos game. Took a tour at the Big O. Expos had been long gone, but the seating and I think turf were still in. They had a heavy construction equipment convention about to start.

Minor league- Brooklyn, Staten Island, Binghamton, Scranton.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Adding two more to the collection since making this thread

-Yadkin Bank Park: Greensboro. A 7500+ seat park in Downtown Greensboro that opened in 2005. The stadium had rave reviews when it first opened. Has nice views of the skyline. Cool bar area in left field, picnic area w/ umbrellas in right, and theres even a putting green. Banners hang on the support beams in the concourses that illustrate the history of the game in the city. A large net runs behind right field to keep balls from flying onto Eugene Street. A "grasshopper cannon" sits outside the team store, the team was named after the cannons, which played a part in local civil war battles. Nice place, I would go back again. Trying to go to BB&T Field in nearby Winston-Salem soon.

-CMC NorthEast Stadium: Kannapolis- Meh stadium. Located right off I-85. One way in and one way out. Feels older than it really is despite opening in the mid 90s. Perhaps the lack of cover from the elements has something to do with that, unless you're sitting in the skyboxes there is no where to hide if it rains. You can hear the traffic from the interstate (especially the 18 wheelers) during play. I have never seen concrete seating in a professional sports stadium, but this place has it on the 3rd base side, although you can bring your own chair. Don't really have a desire to return, but wouldn't say no to it either.

I still have yet to go to a game at the new Knights Stadium :laugh:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Just got back from my trip. Some quick thoughts:

13654269_10104074187203014_5727696149751581587_n.jpg

Kauffman was a nice park and I have to give kudos to the fans for selling it out on a Monday night. Fans were completely into the game which is a major departure from most games I see in California. Location wise, it was a little bit out of the way. Hall of Fame in left field was a nice spot to soak in some history and get some AC on a hot day.

13775947_10104076725241764_1844985397062211983_n.jpg

St. Louis ended up being the glitch on my trip. A few days beforehand, I had three browser windows open to buy tickets for three different games. I goofed and bought the wrong day for the Cardinals game. Ticket was only $20, but I was annoyed at myself out of principle.

Fantastic view as expected. Unfortunately they delayed the start of the game due to an impending thunderstorm. Storm didn't come until 9:15pm, but the weather was fine before that. At around 8:45pm, I figured that there was a good chance that the game would be wiped out so I better head back to the hotel rather than walk through a downpour.

I was only in St. Louis for the day, so it was a bit of a bummer to not actually see the game. But as a consolation prize, I did spot a sad Derick Brassard fan (he was traded the day before):

13731523_10104077115175334_7963641970568239386_n.jpg

13770516_10104078392909744_5309401453939033540_n.jpg

Flight delay + other hiccups meant I was 30 minutes late for the Mets/Cubs day game. This was my 2nd time at Wrigley. Probably should have stuck around at Wrigleyville afterwards to soak in the ambiance but I wanted to head back to the hotel and get settled.

13754427_10104079696402534_5544215370850136883_n.jpg

Not baseball related, but somebody started up a Saved by the Bell late night diner in Chicago. As a grown adult, I probably shouldn't admit how geeked I was for that.

13690760_10104081509414244_7422193248197725753_n.jpg

Snuck into better seats for this one after roasting in the outfield bleachers for a few innings. Bo Jackson was also in the house. Thunderstorm hit right after the 7th inning stretch which led to a fun jaunt to the train station.

13781713_10104086109345944_8267248370595491683_n.jpg

Some times it's easier to travel solo and this game was a reminder of that. My friends lagged and I didn't have a ton of time to check out the surrounding area around Camden Yards. Spent the first half of the game in a great standing room area in RF. Pedro Alvarez hit the warehouse but on a foul ball that just barely missed the pole.

13769396_10104087949353554_1771290200589974608_n.jpg

Another scorcher as fans retreated from the sun. It was Bryce Harper youth jersey day and Bryce Harper was given the day off.

13626367_10104094830593494_1602252757602844481_n.jpg

End the baseball portion in Toronto. The Padres playing in Toronto was the last combination to happen since interleague play began. Chuckled to myself as Melvin Upton got a standing ovation before his first AB as a Jay. Went to a pair of games, including one where the Padres bullpen blew it with a 6-4 lead going into the bottom of the 12th.

In terms of fan support, probably the 2nd most vocal home crowd to KC on this trip.

Canada also got Crystal Pepsi a few weeks back while it won't be available in the US for another week+.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I guess Miller Park has the most unnecessary roof among all the parks with retractable roofs?

Why would you think that? Miller Park is too far away from the lake to get a lake breeze. Our average low doesn't hit 50 until May 26th (i.e. it's really cold when you're sitting in the stadium for the first two months of the season)

That and the area gets quite a few storms that pop up and since they want to draw fans from all over the state, it's easier to get them to come when they know the game is actually going to be played.

The one thing they were cheap on was no air conditioning except in the club level and stadium clubs. If there's a storm in summer and they have to close the roof, good luck. You'd be more comfortable in a sauna.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad