Speculation: Ball Arena

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Kroenke will be 87 in 2034. I don't think he'll be that good at negotiating by then.
Oh yeah a lot can change, but wouldn’t shock me. And Josh is cut from the same Missouri cloth.

More or less, just don’t count on loyalty here. The family has shown to follow the money.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Josh is clearly going to take over the empire at some point. His role in all the teams has been steadily growing since about 2009.

He seems to love the Nuggets too. Seems doubtful he'd ever want to move them, unless the plan is to just cash out on everything they built in Denver. That doesn't seem like the way the Kroenke's do business though. They like their empire and legacy.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Nothing will ever be worse than my college football stadium's urinals. It was literally a circular trough in the middle of the room that 30 guys at a time pissed into. Always with the old dude that walked up, ripped a fart, and commented, 'don't be scared boys, we all have the same parts.'
No joke the only time in my life I ever had"performance anxiety" peeing was at a college football game with the trough haha.

We had the same setup in elementary schools and that never bothered me for some reason.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
No joke the only time in my life I ever had"performance anxiety" peeing was at a college football game with the trough haha.

We had the same setup in elementary schools and that never bothered me for some reason.
I have ptsd peeing anxiety from that trough to this day. The worst was always when eye contact was made. :laugh:

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
He seems to love the Nuggets too. Seems doubtful he'd ever want to move them, unless the plan is to just cash out on everything they built in Denver. That doesn't seem like the way the Kroenke's do business though. They like their empire and legacy.
It would take someone of absurd wealth to cash out everything the Kroenkes have in the Denver area. Just their 4 local sports teams and Altitude were valued at an estimated 4.3 billion dollars this June by Forbes. Add in the rest of the stuff they own and tack on another couple decades of increasing real estate and franchise values and you're looking at one ridiculously huge check to write.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It would take someone of absurd wealth to cash out everything the Kroenkes have in the Denver area. Just their 4 local sports teams and Altitude were valued at an estimated 4.3 billion dollars this June by Forbes. Add in the rest of the stuff they own and tack on another couple decades of increasing real estate and franchise values and you're looking at one ridiculously huge check to write.

Yeah, I didn't mean all of it to one buyer, but I agree.

Jazzguitar

Feb 25, 2012
Denver
Yeah I think the views in Ball arena are as good as you can expect for a stadium. There’s hardly a bad seat in the house.
Really? My experience is that If anyone in front of you wears a hat or leans forward you can’t see anything. I got a 14 game pack one year and went to three games because the person in front was there every time wearing a hat blocking my view.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
No one is saying Kroenke will move the clubs or want to move the clubs, just that of the owners I know of, he would be one of the few to get an upper hand on the situation and would consider moving a viable option. Look at Katz (Oilers owner), he threatened to move the team to Seattle at the time if he wasn't ever going to get government funding. Of course, the city called him on his bluff because he never ever was going to move them out of Edmonton, but Kroenke has no affiliation with locations. He grew up in Missouri and moved the Rams to LA. He owns a team in London that officially joined to make a Super League. He bought a ranch the size of Rhode Island in Texas. He owns homes in Montana, Colorado, Missouri, Wyoming, British Columbia, London, and Los Angeles. Supposedly he also has a penthouse inside the Pepsi Centre, but don't quote me on that. His bluffs about moving clubs are always backed with a good pair of cards because he will if he needs to get his way.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Really? My experience is that If anyone in front of you wears a hat or leans forward you can’t see anything. I got a 14 game pack one year and went to three games because the person in front was there every time wearing a hat blocking my view.
Interesting. Well I am quite tall so I guess that issue doesn‘t affect me much. But my girlfriend and I I go pretty regularly and we usually sit in the same spot, but we’ve sat up
high, down low and never really had issues with sight lines.

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Atlanta is a trash market that doesn't support any of its teams and has already had two NHL teams pack up and leave.

Oh, FFS. The Braves are #5 in overall total attendance, and at a higher percent of the stadium sold than all four of the teams ahead of them. They've sold out 45+ games so far. https://www.si.com/fannation/mlb/fa...st-park-following-sweep-over-new-york-yankees

Atlanta United is #1 overall in MLS attendance, with an average of 47,000 a game, a full 12,000 people above even second place. 2023 MLS Attendance - Soccer Stadium Digest

The Hawks draw over 100% capacity, and the Falcons are sold out, too.

The real reasons that the Flames (owner going bankrupt in his primary real estate business) and the Thrashers (intentionally murdered by their owners) relocated are well-documented.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5280

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
No one is saying Kroenke will move the clubs or want to move the clubs, just that of the owners I know of, he would be one of the few to get an upper hand on the situation and would consider moving a viable option. Look at Katz (Oilers owner), he threatened to move the team to Seattle at the time if he wasn't ever going to get government funding. Of course, the city called him on his bluff because he never ever was going to move them out of Edmonton, but Kroenke has no affiliation with locations. He grew up in Missouri and moved the Rams to LA. He owns a team in London that officially joined to make a Super League. He bought a ranch the size of Rhode Island in Texas. He owns homes in Montana, Colorado, Missouri, Wyoming, British Columbia, London, and Los Angeles. Supposedly he also has a penthouse inside the Pepsi Centre, but don't quote me on that. His bluffs about moving clubs are always backed with a good pair of cards because he will if he needs to get his way.

Yup... he has a solid history of this and when people call his bluffs, turns out he has a royal flush. There are less ties to him in Colorado than Missouri and he F'd over Missouri. Odds are when the issue of replacing Ball Arena comes to a head, KSE will use every card they have to get the most advantageous deal. Which I personally think is well within their rights (and well within the rights of the populace to despise this action). Personally I think Denver is going to have to play ball on initiatives to keep the teams.

The Katz in Edmonton is pretty much how I see this going if Denver doesn't play ball early. A threat, stoke some rumor, get concessions by the local gov't. Edmonton put in over $300m into the project, there was a tax increase, and Katz ended up only paying for something like 26% of the arena. Another recent one is Calgary where Calgary will foot just under half of the new arena and Edwards putting up about $350m.

Denver won't be able to play hardball on zero public funding like the situation in Arizona because the teams are popular locally. Nor do they have a Foley like owner who is staunchly against public subsidies.

Oh, FFS. The Braves are #5 in overall total attendance, and at a higher percent of the stadium sold than all four of the teams ahead of them. They've sold out 45+ games so far. https://www.si.com/fannation/mlb/fa...st-park-following-sweep-over-new-york-yankees

Atlanta United is #1 overall in MLS attendance, with an average of 47,000 a game, a full 12,000 people above even second place. 2023 MLS Attendance - Soccer Stadium Digest

The Hawks draw over 100% capacity, and the Falcons are sold out, too.

The real reasons that the Flames (owner going bankrupt in his primary real estate business) and the Thrashers (intentionally murdered by their owners) relocated are well-documented.

This poster simply had a nerve touched. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not that it matters one way or another, but the denials that anyone was talking about Kroenke moving his teams is a little weird, when multiple posts are suggesting circumstances where Kroenke might move his teams, and why he's more likely than other owners to do so.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
There has been an article posted at my work for years about him and the dispute he got himself in with the ranchers in Merritt over cutting off their cattle trail access that ran through his property. It literally reads like the plot to that KOTH episode in Montana with Henry Winkler

I don’t know why it’s posted though. It has absolutely nothing to do with our work. Also not sure why it’s on the safety board…

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
To be honest, I'd probably try for a world record myself if I saw one of those things today.

Don't want to be the guy on the other side.

iu

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So Kroenke is fighting with FIFA over SoFi Stadium for the next World Cup. As mentioned, another example where he wants to get his way.

E: Also Kroenke joined a group in building an NHL/NBA level arena in San Diego. San Diego Avs and Nuggies?

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
So Kroenke is fighting with FIFA over SoFi Stadium for the next World Cup. As mentioned, another example where he wants to get his way.

E: Also Kroenke joined a group in building an NHL/NBA level arena in San Diego. San Diego Avs and Nuggies?
Go read the proposal and you'll understand it's not really a major league sports arena. It could in a pinch but it seems more aligned with concerts and events. And no way the league and it's So Cal franchises allow a move there. You don't just say oh that market looks pretty, I'm going there.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Go read the proposal and you'll understand it's not really a major league sports arena. It could in a pinch but it seems more aligned with concerts and events. And no way the league and it's So Cal franchises allow a move there. You don't just say oh that market looks pretty, I'm going there.
How good is the arena that the Gulls play in? This potential one could be the next good home for them if it ever comes to fruition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad