Speculation: Ball Arena

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Definitely good to hear. It's showing it's age for sure. Don't think it needs a teardown but certainly it's falling behind other buildings. Could be an interesting highlight of the other developments Kroenke wants to do to the area.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
So what's out about what is expected in the area development? Also, what do you locals expect out of this reno?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
KSE needs to update dramatically. When you visit newer arenas around the leagues, you really see how far behind Ball Arena really is. Concourses are too small, entry and exit takes too long, food sucks... about the best thing for the fans is the sightlines are quite good compared to other places.

My tinfoil hat though is this is more about their re-development plan downtown. They'll use the survey to pump up how more nearby amenities are needed so they need to have nearby owners forced to sell their land to redevelop into expensive condos that overlook green space with trendy restaurants and bars.

So what's out about what is expected in the area development? Also, what do you locals expect out of this reno?

The River Mile projects is 'loosely' connected to this as well

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Kroenke does this to other areas but it takes a long time. The area around Dicks is still a work in progress 2 decades after it opened. Sofi stadium isn't exactly a village yet but they did get a few office buildings for the NFL up. Looks like it will be just an extension of LoDo with a lot of housing and some open spaces for bikes and such. I don't think it will change much, just use a lot of land that's kind of empty most of the time. Broncos have said they are going to do the same but not a bit has been done yet.

Reactions: UncleRisto

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
KSE needs to update dramatically. When you visit newer arenas around the leagues, you really see how far behind Ball Arena really is. Concourses are too small, entry and exit takes too long, food sucks... about the best thing for the fans is the sightlines are quite good compared to other places.

My tinfoil hat though is this is more about their re-development plan downtown. They'll use the survey to pump up how more nearby amenities are needed so they need to have nearby owners forced to sell their land to redevelop into expensive condos that overlook green space with trendy restaurants and bars.

The River Mile projects is 'loosely' connected to this as well

Wenk.

• Haha
Reactions: niwotsblessing

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah I think the views in Ball arena are as good as you can expect for a stadium. There’s hardly a bad seat in the house.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Kroenke does this to other areas but it takes a long time. The area around Dicks is still a work in progress 2 decades after it opened. Sofi stadium isn't exactly a village yet but they did get a few office buildings for the NFL up. Looks like it will be just an extension of LoDo with a lot of housing and some open spaces for bikes and such. I don't think it will change much, just use a lot of land that's kind of empty most of the time. Broncos have said they are going to do the same but not a bit has been done yet.

Kroenke is more about real estate than sports. The stuff around Sofi took so long to get going because he wanted to tie in his own real estate development. Until he got that approved, he wasn't going to do anything of significance. IIRC he just got that approved early last year... so it'll take a bit to get going, but is on track now.

This development has been holding up the practice facility too. They want to tie it all into this, and because this involves a lot more moving pieces, it will take a while.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Kroenke is more about real estate than sports.
Yeah, crazy weird.

"This project could prioritize electricity for thermal and hot water needs, and take advantage of Xcel's decarbonization commitment."

I say what they should do to draw more attention to this thing is rename the arena to Xcel Energy Arena.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrickNHL

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Good it’s a similar age to Rogers Arena and in both cases it shows except even Rogers has a way better entry and exit and better food selection. Rogers committed to some solid upgrades now as well so really no excuse for Ball Arena to continue how it is especially since it’s an NBA facility as well.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I wonder if this will finally be the thing that finally kills Elitch Gardens. Since I was a boy they've talked about moving it and using the location for a parking structure and other things.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Out of curiosity, what is actually needed for a great fan experience at an NHL game?

Unobscured sightlines are a must. A solid state of the art video system for replays obviously. You'd like to not have to take out a second mortgage for a hotdog and beer but...

I mean, what is it that they hope to accomplish? More comfortable seats? You don't need a focus group for that, just go buy them.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Out of curiosity, what is actually needed for a great fan experience at an NHL game?

Unobscured sightlines are a must. A solid state of the art video system for replays obviously. You'd like to not have to take out a second mortgage for a hotdog and beer but...

I mean, what is it that they hope to accomplish? More comfortable seats? You don't need a focus group for that, just go buy them.
Usually a bigger concourse. Sounds to me like that's a thing here, and it's a major thing in pretty much every reno.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

To me, Ball Arena's experience is pretty good in the seats. It is everywhere outside that where the issues crop up... concessions, entry and exit, amenities, bathrooms, parking, etc. But, back with my tin foil hat on, this focus group is more about gaining lobbying power for their other plans.

More bathrooms. And put some damn dividers in between the urinals.
Nothing will ever be worse than my college football stadium's urinals. It was literally a circular trough in the middle of the room that 30 guys at a time pissed into. Always with the old dude that walked up, ripped a fart, and commented, 'don't be scared boys, we all have the same parts.'

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
This is straight up communism.

In 2001 the amenities were fantastic - the club level food was great, you had one server per section, they called you by your name….space issues aside the service was top notch. About 2005/2006 things drastically changed - glossy fancy menus to paper menus, about 30 food items on the menu to about 5…..1 server to 2 sections….then 1 server to 3 sections (you were lucky if anyone came by 1-2 times a game). Club food went from brisket to hot dogs. They spent late 2000’s and early 2010’s chipping away at everything.

Now fast forward to 2023 and they’re gonna give you back little sprinkles of this stuff and tell you that it’s “for the people”…….This is what dictators do.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

In 2001 the amenities were fantastic - the club level food was great, you had one server per section, they called you by your name….space issues aside the service was top notch. About 2005/2006 things drastically changed - glossy fancy menus to paper menus, about 30 food items on the menu to about 5…..1 server to 2 sections….then 1 server to 3 sections (you were lucky if anyone came by 1-2 times a game). Club food went from brisket to hot dogs. They spent late 2000’s and early 2010’s chipping away at everything.

Now fast forward to 2023 and they’re gonna give you back little sprinkles of this stuff and tell you that it’s “for the people”…….This is what dictators do.
It quick be more corporatism than communism, they certainly could improve things without a massive renovation. They won’t though when Kroenke can get some handouts and below market land.

Yeah sports teams don't understand this for some reason. Pack in too many urinals when dudes are drinking too much and what do you think happens?
1134db38-61ba-43f8-a623-6559f0d9eaa8_text.gif

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Seat comfort is an issue because the seats are too narrow and rows are narrow upstairs. Even if someone stands up trying to pass them it feels like 50/50 you are going to fall over. I don't expect much on this front.

The other problems are the bathroom issues and the size of concourse as noted. Another upgrade that could drive revenue is to open things up so you can see inside from the concourse. This allows for standing room tickets to be sold. Improves the atmosphere and sense of arrival as well. Most stadiums now you walk in and get a sense of energy because you can see in. Ball Arena you walk in to get to an escalator. Just wrong.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Stan Kroenke and his family's business model is definitely about free market capitalism not communism. That's not meant as a criticism.

Reactions: Jazzguitar

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I wonder if this will finally be the thing that finally kills Elitch Gardens. Since I was a boy they've talked about moving it and using the location for a parking structure and other things.
I remember when they finally did that to the old Elitch’s. How the wheel turns. Wouldn’t hate not having it downtown, though.

Reactions: sethro109

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Kroenke is more about real estate than sports.
I don't think you buy sports teams throughout different continents just to develop housing projects. I don't think he's gotten anything out of the Arsenal purchase in terms of real estate, nor when he originally bought the Avs/Nuggets (but don't quote me on that as I originally thought he always owned the team). He's obviously going to pressure any city he's in for new stadiums, which is how he ended up with SoFi (which people say is one of the best arenas in the entire world). It would be interesting if he does end up with Elitch Gardens land because that would be a major project with major railroad lines running through the intended area as well.

E: Yeah I wouldn't say that Kroenke is communist at all, definitely under the banner of capitalism, but with the power of a dictator at this point.
Moving Elitch Gardens isn't killing it though.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I don't think you buy sports teams throughout different continents just to develop housing projects. I don't think he's gotten anything out of the Arsenal purchase in terms of real estate, nor when he originally bought the Avs/Nuggets (but don't quote me on that as I originally thought he always owned the team). He's obviously going to pressure any city he's in for new stadiums, which is how he ended up with SoFi (which people say is one of the best arenas in the entire world). It would be interesting if he does end up with Elitch Gardens land because that would be a major project with major railroad lines running through the intended area as well.

E: Yeah I wouldn't say that Kroenke is communist at all, definitely under the banner of capitalism, but with the power of a dictator at this point.

Moving Elitch Gardens isn't killing it though.
That's true. I believe the plan is to move it by the DIA. They could expand there if they want, since there's a lot of open land. However, I can't see it attracting the same amount of customers without its central location. People of the southwestern metro area probably won't want to make the drive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad