Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '23-'24 Thread

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Holland's remarks about Lavoie in the pre-season pretty much tells me that he's unimpressed with him but I note that Holland (as a player) was a fringe major leaguer and pretty small by NHL standards ---even in those days. Thus, I think he has a soft spot for smaller guys who are on the periphery.

Meantime, 6'4" Lavoie has 4 goals in 5 games and looks like he can fight too. Can't have that on the Oilers.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Lavoie could replace the ES goal scoring that we lost when we moved Kostin. We have a team full of passers and plumbers but this guy has an exceptional shot and he can score it in a number of ways. Instead we have Adam Erne who isn't even dropping the gloves or stirring the pot. Kane is doing his job and playing top 6 minutes. The question is does Woodcroft have a beef with Lavoie? Seems like a case of talent being wasted in the AHL IMO.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hey, remember Holland wants Lavoie to play minutes.

That clearly can’t be on the big club. No opportunity there. It’s not like they’ve got a career bottom sixer or anything on the top line…
I don't mind Janmark as a 4th liner but for the most part our bottom 6 has been ass. Ryan looks washed, Erne has been invisible, McLeod has been poor, Holloway has had glimpses but nothing to show for it, etc. Shake the damn team up by sending Erne down and calling up Lavoie ffs.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Hey, remember Holland wants Lavoie to play minutes.

That clearly can’t be on the big club. No opportunity there. It’s not like they’ve got a career bottom sixer or anything on the top line…
The Oilers don't need another goal scorer. They are already 27th in the League in goals for.

Seriously though, this team needs to give their kids a chance. At the very least inject some enthusiasm in the team.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Im all for Lavoie but I do think he could work his way up to a + at ES in the AHL before we bust out the pitchforks on his behalf. He could help PP2 today but thats like 2 minutes a night tops. Gotta come out on top of AHL matchups to earn real NHL ice.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Im all for Lavoie but I do think he could work his way up to a + at ES in the AHL before we bust out the pitchforks on his behalf. He could help PP2 today but thats like 2 minutes a night tops. Gotta come out on top of AHL matchups to earn real NHL ice.
Yup Lavoie has not had a full season where he has put it all together. Last year seems he had a hot end to the year.

Looks promising that he has taken that next step and if so he will earn a call up shortly

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Yup Lavoie has not had a full season where he has put it all together. Last year seems he had a hot end to the year.

Looks promising that he has taken that next step and if so he will earn a call up shortly
He actually slowed down a bit at the very end. He had about 5/6 points in his last 10 games.

Rather, after his slow start ended, he had 43 points in 48 games. I think that's a bit longer than a hot end, no?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He has only played 2 games but Olivier Rodrigue has the best save % in the AHL right now with a gaudy 0.968 save %.

Taking this one step farther he and Calvin Pickard had identical 0.912% save %'s last season. I think that it's time that Rodrigue starts getting the lions share of the starts and is seen as our #3 goalie.

Last edited:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

He hasn't had a minus season since he entered the league, I'm pretty sure.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
he actually is a +1 after last night but still not exactly burning the league down. Most of his points are on the PP

The good news is that usually hasn't been the case, with 34 of his 43 goals his first few years coming EV. So, I bet we'll see some more even-strength goals soon.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He has only played 2 games but Olivier Rodrigue has the best save % in the AHL right now with a gaudy 0.968 save %.

Taking this one step farther he and Calvin Pickard had identical 0.912% save %'s last season. I think that it's time that Rodrigue starts getting the lions share of the starts and is seen as our #3 goalie.
Did they change their system down there this year? Seems that last year the team had issues keeping the puck out of the net, but this year they are doing real well.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Did they change their system down there this year? Seems that last year the team had issues keeping the puck out of the net, but this year they are doing real well.
No idea, could be because maybe they have an older D group this season? Gleason is a big add as well.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

That's awesome to see Lavoie start the season motivated, hungry and productive. Let me play huge minutes and continue to rip AHL competition a new one for 10-15 games and evaluate where the big team depth guys are at. No use giving a scoring one shot guy the Erne treatment on an NHL roster.

Very early on, Lavoie is controlling what he can to force his way upward at some point in the season. I see more Gagner or Pederson as early end of roster yo yo type players if/when Woodcroft wants to tinker with fourth line guys.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
yup its time for a callup...the bottom 6 is useless right now
Idk who it was on Gregor today, some older media guy. He was writing off calling up Lavoie with his logic being Lavoie “isn’t a bottom 6 player”. Wtf does that even mean? We need scoring in the bottom 6.. nobody is scoring. Meanwhile we’ve got a hungry 6’4 one shot scorer that is willing to fight.. too much boomer logic (sorry boomers)

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Idk who it was on Gregor today, some older media guy. He was writing off calling up Lavoie with his logic being Lavoie “isn’t a bottom 6 player”. Wtf does that even mean? We need scoring in the bottom 6.. nobody is scoring. Meanwhile we’ve got a hungry 6’4 one shot scorer that is willing to fight.. too much boomer logic (sorry boomers)
How does Lavoie score his goals? Is it realistic to think that he's going to see the same opportunities playing on a fourth line?

One shot scoring is fine, but those shots need to come from good locations. Even Holloway is struggling to find that space with regularity.

Chiasson scored his goals in the same manner. But the moment he wasn't seeing regular shifts in a scoring role, he's out of the league in a couple years.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
How does Lavoie score his goals? Is it realistic to think that he's going to see the same opportunities playing on a fourth line?

One shot scoring is fine, but those shots need to come from good locations. Even Holloway is struggling to find that space with regularity.

Chiasson scored his goals in the same manner. But the moment he wasn't seeing regular shifts in a scoring role, he's out of the league in a couple years.

Chiasson had a pretty long career for a 4th liner

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Simple solution, drop Brown to the 3rd line and play Lavoie in the top 6.

Reactions: midnightcopper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad