NFL: Baker Mayfield requests trade

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
He gets his wish, he’s done in Cleveland
The Browns were done with this idiot and told Watson to sign a blank check and for him to put down a # that would satisfy him in order to move on from Mayfield and add a top #5 QB.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He was a top 5 QB when he took his last snap, but not even close when he takes his next snap

Why not? Many notable QBs have missed entire seasons before (mostly due to injury) and upon their return nobody suggested they weren't anywhere near their previous level of play.

In Watsons case thats a year of full rest / no wear & tear.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Why not? Many notable QBs have missed entire seasons before (mostly due to injury) and upon their return nobody suggested they weren't anywhere near their previous level of play.

In Watsons case thats a year of full rest / no wear & tear.
because QB's have progressed while he has been sitting out, even if he goes back to his old self he was a fringe top 5 at the time. Allen, Burrow, Kyler, Herbert, Stafford with a competent team.... I mean he doesn't rank ahead of any of those guys let alone the very top guys.

We'll have to wait and see

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
because QB's have progressed while he has been sitting out, even if he goes back to his old self he was a fringe top 5 at the time. Allen, Burrow, Kyler, Herbert, Stafford with a competent team.... I mean he doesn't rank ahead of any of those guys let alone the very top guys.

I'm not sold on Watson but he is better than Murry. Not a fan of that dude.

Reactions: BSHH

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Just heard a Browns reporter say Baker's trade demand didn't make the Browns phones start ringing. Apparently, teams aren't exactly beating down the door to get ahold of Baker. Poor guy.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

He is certainly better than Murray.

Not sure I'd rank Stafford or Herbert ahead of him

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Just heard a Browns reporter say Baker's trade demand didn't make the Browns phones start ringing. Apparently, teams aren't exactly beating down the door to get ahold of Baker. Poor guy.
Most of the teams already made their move. He wasn’t included in the trade with the Texans. I don’t think the Falcons do it unless Ryan is adament about leaving now (there hasn’t been much reporting). Who is left? Saints, Colts, maybe Seahawks, maybe Panthers. Saints can easily go back to Jameis. Colts can go to Garoppolo. Seahawks and Panthers don’t have to do anything, both are in position to draft someone. There’s a scenario where he doesn’t have a seat at the table.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Most of the teams already made their move. He wasn’t included in the trade with the Texans. I don’t think the Falcons do it unless Ryan is adament about leaving now (there hasn’t been much reporting). Who is left? Saints, Colts, maybe Seahawks, maybe Panthers. Saints can easily go back to Jameis. Colts can go to Garoppolo. Seahawks and Panthers don’t have to do anything, both are in position to draft someone. There’s a scenario where he doesn’t have a seat at the table.
Yup. He overplayed his hand by thinking he was part of the elite and that’s been his biggest mistake since he stepped foot in the NFL. He asked for a new coach, gave OBJ the middle finger and the Brows moved him because of that and he tried to flex his muscle by asking for a trade. The Browns got fed up and just decided to give him a jab-uppercut combo to the chin that has him down for the count with literally no place to go.

You don’t go all in with a pair of 4’s and that’s exactly what Baker just did. I honestly don’t know if the Browns would’ve went all in on Watson if Baker wouldn’t of pulled that hissy fit via Instagram and publicly demanded to be moved.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yup. He overplayed his hand by thinking he was part of the elite and that’s been his biggest mistake since he stepped foot in the NFL. He asked for a new coach, gave OBJ the middle finger and the Brows moved him because of that and he tried to flex his muscle by asking for a trade. The Browns got fed up and just decided to give him a jab-uppercut combo to the chin that has him down for the count with literally no place to go.

You don’t go all in with a pair of 4’s and that’s exactly what Baker just did. I honestly don’t know if the Browns would’ve went all in on Watson if Baker wouldn’t of pulled that hissy fit via Instagram and publicly demanded to be moved.
Baker is the QB, he is in a collaborative position. He has been their QB, and hadn’t had a good coach until last year. He had a good hand, the Browns are just able to call and raise because they can. Baker didn’t do anything wrong other than think he is better than he is, which he has good reason to be, he’s a starting NFL quarterback. They are told everything they needee to be told to own their position and role in the organization. Watson was only ever available because the team he was on didn’t understand that.

As I said, teams can only ever be all-in or all-out. Browns were all-out. Mayfield, if he didn’t know that, was smart to acknowledge it which is why he asked for the trade. And he was right.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

When you're the first overall pick and are the best QB a team has had in ~30 years, you're going to feel like a king.

But I don't put any coaching moves on Baker.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I'm not sold on Watson but he is better than Murry. Not a fan of that dude.

He is certainly better than Murray.

Not sure I'd rank Stafford or Herbert ahead of him
I almost took out Murray. But honestly they're pretty comparable. Murray was the best QB the first half of the season and then fell off a cliff. I don't really think peak Watson has shown to be that much higher than Murray at his peak, or someone like Dak as well.

But I do agree he will likely be better than either of those guys long term

Stafford is not exactly comparable, but if I had a receiver core like the Rams do, there is no way in hell i would trade Stafford for Watson for the next 3 years. Not a chance

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I almost took out Murray. But honestly they're pretty comparable. Murray was the best QB the first half of the season and then fell off a cliff. I don't really think peak Watson has shown to be that much higher than Murray at his peak, or someone like Dak as well.

But I do agree he will likely be better than either of those guys long term

Stafford is not exactly comparable, but if I had a receiver core like the Rams do, there is no way in hell i would trade Stafford for Watson for the next 3 years. Not a chance
The league figured him out , he has to roll out because he can't see over his line. He will. Win games the first half of every season till he gets beat up because he's tiny.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
He has one year on his deal being the 5th year option. Someone will roll the dice on him for a year. My guess is Carolina or Indy. He’s not bad, he’s just nothing special ... which is a vast improvement for some clubs.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Knowing that the Browns have to get rid of Mayfield, would any team actually trade for him or just wait until he's cut?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: