NFL: Baker Mayfield requests trade

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Honest question... is there anything that'd make Mayfield back down barring a major and guaranteed overpay of an extension? What's the worst that happens to him otherwise, he loses a year's pay and his commercials have to be filmed somewhere else? Some middling team will still take a shot at him next offseason.

Say what you will about Baker but a bullshitter he is likely not.

If he believes the relationship is severed, I do not think he'll risk getting a very serious injury playing for any team when there's clearly no possibility of a long-term extension.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Can you blame him? His team openly courted another QB after committing to him. Yes, Watson is an upgrade but they did not try to hide their intentions at all. Should have just outbid everyone else if they were willing to eviscerate their relationship with their QB.

Its not saying much but he is bar far their best QB current Browns have ever had. He's embraced the city and even played through a major injury this year.

What a clown show.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I said it in the free agency thread: Same ole sorry ass Browns.

I get it. Baker didn't live up to the hype and is a pretty meh QB. If you're going to pull something like this, you better be damn sure you're getting the other guy. Because now you're going to have to probably trade assets for someone who's the same or worse.

Good job. This is why bad franchises stay bad.

Cleveland saw Cincinnati win the AFC and go to the Super Bowl with Joe Burrow.

In Clevelands eyes, that should’ve been them with the talent they have. They got punked by Bakers inconsistent play and now there back to square one with looking for another QB.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Can you blame him? His team openly courted another QB after committing to him. Yes, Watson is an upgrade but they did not try to hide their intentions at all. Should have just outbid everyone else if they were willing to eviscerate their relationship with their QB.

Its not saying much but he is bar far their best QB current Browns have ever had. He's embraced the city and even played through a major injury this year.

What a clown show.
Because he's absolute garbage.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
NFL Network absolutely LAYING INTO the browns and owner Jimmy Haslem on how they handled this and did so so publicly.

Essentially saying in the first phone call with the Texans GM you ask if the Watson would consider the browns and if any of this leaks to press on our involvement and he isn’t interested you have to come out and say the browns never contacted us about Deshaun

Reactions: Voight

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

What a clown show.

Atlanta made the same mistake.

I'd argue it looks worse for them optic wise since Matt Ryan is the best player in that franchises history and they just did him extremely dirty.

Baker getting it is bad too but it looks so, so much worse when you're f***ing over a 15 year veteran of your team and the best thing to ever happen to you.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Atlanta made the same mistake.

I'd argue it looks worse for them optic wise since Matt Ryan is the best player in that franchises history and they just did him extremely dirty.

Baker getting it is bad too but it looks so, so much worse when you're f***ing over a 15 year veteran of your team and the best thing to ever happen to you.

Not to mention Ryan has been the face of the team during the most successful era in franchise history. Consummate pro as well.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Haslem is a horrific owner, and this has his fingerprints all over it. Can't go more than 18 months without serious controversy.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Cleveland saw Cincinnati win the AFC and go to the Super Bowl with Joe Burrow.

In Clevelands eyes, that should’ve been them with the talent they have. They got punked by Bakers inconsistent play and now there back to square one with looking for another QB.
Finally! Finally, we've done something that has made another NFL team jealous!

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
browns were incredibly dumb to leak the watson stuff but baker isn't going anywhere. he'll get over this and be the browns starter for next season at least

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

What a clown show.

Not to mention the Browns let leak they wanted an "adult" as a QB.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Say what you will about Baker but a bullshitter he is likely not.

If he believes the relationship is severed, I do not think he'll risk getting a very serious injury playing for any team when there's clearly no possibility of a long-term extension.

If he doesn't show up to camp he will incur huge fines, 40 grand per day, no way he does that and forfeits his salary on top of it

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
If he doesn't show up to camp he will incur huge fines, 40 grand per day, no way he does that and forfeits his salary on top of it

Normally I'd agree with you but Baker strikes me as an extremely emotional guy and he very well might just want nothing to do with the Browns, money be damned.

I'm dumb as hell so who knows.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
NFL Network absolutely LAYING INTO the browns and owner Jimmy Haslem on how they handled this and did so so publicly.

Essentially saying in the first phone call with the Texans GM you ask if the Watson would consider the browns and if any of this leaks to press on our involvement and he isn’t interested you have to come out and say the browns never contacted us about Deshaun
The Texans weren’t letting anyone speak to Watson until they agreed on the trade package. That’s the real leverage they had and they used it and it was up to other teams not to burn their bridges.

It’s actually a really good play on their part.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Normally I'd agree with you but Baker strikes me as an extremely emotional guy and he very well might just want nothing to do with the Browns, money be damned.

I'm dumb as hell so who knows.

Baker strikes me as a guy who will show up regardless. Even if he's not happy, he isn't the type to let his team down and just not be there because of reasons.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Baker strikes me as a guy who will show up regardless. Even if he's not happy, he isn't the type to let his team down and just not be there because of reasons.
Could be. He's an emotional guy.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It's also best for his future. After this season, he's either a free agent or eligible for a very expensive franchise tag. He wants a big payday like any QB, but he needs a good season to make that happen. Sitting out is not going to help him get there.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The Texans weren’t letting anyone speak to Watson until they agreed on the trade package. That’s the real leverage they had and they used it and it was up to other teams not to burn their bridges.

It’s actually a really good play on their part.
Yeah, it's strange for anyone to think there was a way to court Watson without it getting leaked by both the Texans and Watson's agent.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Baker might be the most overrated player in NFL history. How does he have so many commercials? Crazy he is so mediocre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad