Pre-Game Talk: Bahstun Clam Chowdah, whah cahn't Ah spahk prahpahly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
That’s so stupid! He’s been ridiculously effective, even when not scoring and will be missed in what will almost certainly be a very physical game. I’d play him over Yamo. No joke.
Holland wants to keep Kostin #s down for new deal

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I wonder if the hope, with Shore who is playing well, is to have him play the PK, because they expect to give McDrai a bunch of icetime tonight in a very tough match up.

Reactions: ZJuice

OILFAN FOREVER

Feb 26, 2021
Already been said but I would have Kostin in.

Kane-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Janmark-McLeod-Ryan
Kostin-Bjugstad-Foegele
Shore

Reactions: Ruok

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
if thats the case then they need to go next level. The ASG is supposed to be about exposure. About getting the NHL into different markets. The perennial thought of ASG or Probowl games would be that the massive assembly of Stars would elicit views to put the sport on a mantle. To wit at times historically the ASG got more prominent US coverage.

But to make it bigger do what the NHL has toyed with, go to Europe, do the world. Have the first international ASG in hgh profile London England. Have it at start of October rather than mid season. then the players and their wives get the perk of going on vacay. So that the best players in the league have a legit reason to miss the tedium of TC and get a boost instead. Theres no doubt that an international themed ASG would be more exciting for the players and the fans and also the hosts who get to see ALL the best NHL players and market that instead of say Detroit playing San Jose in an exhibition game.

This idea would appear to solve multiple problems and would be popular among the allstar players and their families and would be positively viewed by the NHLPA. Players would also get extra shares of the lucrative pot.
Interesting. Allow me to play devils advocate for a moment...
I am not sure what the purpose of the Probowl is. If it is in fact a marketing tool then why play it at the same location year after year?
I do however appreciate that fact that its done after the season instead of in the middle of the season.
All that being said I have never watched the game and likely never will.
Aside from some skills events the ASG's for me are a waste of time.
If they do in fact do this in Europe in place of training camp how will that affect the ability for a team to prepare for the season when their most important players arent there?
Also...I dont think you need to go to Europe (a logistical nightmare for having actual NHL teams over there) for marketing purposes when you have teams failing right here in NA. Besides...I dont know how much more watered down I want the NHL to get by adding additional teams.
Perhaps you go to Europe to grow the game (not necessarily add teams) so you can secure a TV deal...additional merchandise sales...sure that might help the League.
There might be something to this but I think the timing is tricky and a Europe trip adds significant length to the event as well. I dont like teams flying to Europe and playing exhibition games to grow the game but at least the team is together and you can use the trip to prepare for the season. Even so it seems to negatively affect that teams regular season so I am not sure if I am a team owner if I would support that.
At least not for my team. :D

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Interesting. Allow me to play devils advocate for a moment...
I am not sure what the purpose of the Probowl is. If it is in fact a marketing tool then why play it at the same location year after year?
I do however appreciate that fact that its done after the season instead of in the middle of the season.
All that being said I have never watched the game and likely never will.
Aside from some skills events the ASG's for me are a waste of time.
If they do in fact do this in Europe in place of training camp how will that affect the ability for a team to prepare for the season when their most important players arent there?
Also...I dont think you need to go to Europe (a logistical nightmare for having actual NHL teams over there) for marketing purposes when you have teams failing right here in NA.

Just my perspective.
To be clear I'm in the "no ASG game at all camp" but if you do it, you do it for world exposure and spread it around. Doing it in NA makes no sense from a broader marketing standpoint. The NHL has the unique position to be gigger than some other sports because hockey is played throughout the Northern Hemisphere and the concept of hockey is also understood in many other places like for instance India that play field hockey.

The NHL can really with players from so many countries drastically increase its market share and ratings and particularly in Europe. But other big markets also of course exist.

I feel like Basketball and the NBA have more effectively utilized the world appeal angle. So has baseball. I think the NFL has tried often but ultimately people around the world keep preferring the other football. ;)

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
To be clear I'm in the "no ASG game at all camp" but if you do it, you do it for world exposure and spread it around. Doing it in NA makes no sense from a broader marketing standpoint. The NHL has the unique position to be gigger than some other sports because hockey is played throughout the Northern Hemisphere and the concept of hockey is also understood in many other places like for instance India that play field hockey.

The NHL can really with players from so many countries drastically increase its market share and ratings and particularly in Europe. But other big markets also of course exist.

I feel like Basketball and the NBA have more effectively utilized the world appeal angle. So has baseball. I think the NFL has tried often but ultimately people around the world keep preferring the other football. ;)
You are too quick on the draw. ;)

I edited (added to) my post because I am trying to do too much at once here and didnt really convey my point properly.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I agree about the NBA but really its just the skills competition that has any cache'.
The game itself isnt worth watching IMO.

If they took out the game and just added more skills (not sure what that would entail) that might make the event better...maybe?
Then you can do it outside of the regular season and go to places like Europe (where you correctly stated that hockey is a big deal already) and make it worthwhile for players to bring their families.

I dont know.
I do however think that I have already given too much energy to something I dont really care about...lol

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You are too quick on the draw. ;)

I edited (added to) my post because I am trying to do too much at once here and didnt really convey my point properly.
Can you imagine the immensity if the NHL toyed with having an international division with very limited interplay, say maybe with teams just having rare interlocking play but mostly within division and then the best team from that division making the NHL playoffs and competing here on this continent? For sure so many difficulties and challenges to doing but I think theres an appeal to it and really I think the thirst has been there since Canada vs Russia or the Canada Cups etc. This would explode NHL popularity in Europe and also increase the magntude and perceived importance of the game on this continent.

Right now we're just having Europe as essentially feeder territory. NHL can do much more. or some inevitable "world" hockey league might.

Reactions: guymez

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
who starts in net tonight? do we toss dirtbell to the wolves tonight and try and get the for sure dub against TO? or swap? or Skinner both?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Can you imagine the immensity if the NHL toyed with having an international division with very limited interplay, say maybe with teams just having rare interlocking play but mostly within division and then the best team from that division making the NHL playoffs and competing here on this continent? For sure so many difficulties and challenges to doing but I think theres an appeal to it and really I think the thirst has been there since Canada vs Russia or the Canada Cups etc. This would explode NHL popularity in Europe and also increase the magntude and perceived importance of the game on this continent.

Right now we're just having Europe as essentially feeder territory. NHL can do much more. or some inevitable "world" hockey league might.
Honestly...I really like the thought of that.
But then again I am old enough to fondly remember the Canada Cup glory of the 80's.
That 87 series was absolutely amazing. :handclap:

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Good lucky guys, McDavid is the head and shoulders best player I have seen in years and best of luck to you in the playoffs and the end of the regular season.

I still don't forgive you guys for 88 and 90. . . . .
Normally I'd tell an opposing fan to take a hike.... But it looks like you're a B's supporter located firmly in Canucks territory, so you get a pass :laugh:

Just kidding, of course. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the Bruins (having rivalries with Montreal and more recently, Toronto probably helps), and many of their players (Obviously Orr, but also Neely, Bourque, Chara, and now Bergeron, Krejci, Hall) so I'll extend the good wishes to you and your team as well. Looking forward to a good game tonight

Reactions: VanIsle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad