Post-Game Talk: Bah Humbug - Jets lose 4-1

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
It's here, it's what you've all been waiting for, it's the 2016 Winnipeg Jets liquidation sale!

We've got short defensemen (Enstrom)! We've got tall defensemen (Myers)! Yes, we've even got jumbo luxury defensemen (Buff)! Not in your price range? Don't worry! Take a look through our discount defenseman rack, buy one get one free!

Fancy looking Russians, shaky backup goalies, we've even got captains, yes you heard right, slightly used captains just as good as new!

No reasonable offer refused! Holiday budget crunch, no worries, we will retain salary! Prices so low, you'll think our management was completely incompetent!

It's the 2016 Winnipeg Jets liquidation sale, we simply cannot let this inventory sit around, call now!

Funny ..... but as they say a picture is worth a thousand words

jets_2016_liquidation_sale.jpg

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Obviously Peluso slots in on the 4th, the games the Jets won with a physical style of play Peluso was in the lineup (seems lost on some people).

Jets got out-hit 2-1 by the Flames and only managed 12 hits. Last season when the Jets were winning low scoring games they consistently out-hit the opposition, I can recall games where the Jets had 30+ hits. Problem with the Jets right now its that they have no identity, there playing a game that there not suited to play, if Mo was any kind of coach he would recognize that.

It's all fine and dandy to have a Ehlers, Burmi, Armia line but only as long as they are contributing, right now there not!

Yesterday's game by the Jets was a gutless performance!

Hitting is probably the second most flawed stat in hockey (the worst giveaway and takeaway are worst for same reasons, but even more inconsistent). 1) It is taken by the HOME TEAM, subject to whatever idiot they hire wants to call a hit. It means rink to rink hits vary by such a degree as to make the stat useless. 2) It is taken by the HOME TEAM, meaning it invariable has a high bias for the home team.

So using to defend any argument is a dubious at best proposition. What I notice is that the Jets win more games with more skill when Thorburn was #12 forward and Peluso had no chance to ever dress. That's what I notice.

And from a hockey side, when guys can't identify the attack angle it makes their hits USELESS and any coach worth their salt will tell you the same. Peluso can't identify attack angles. His hits are irrelevant at best, cost the team penalties at worst for the most part. "Punishing the opponent" is a nice catch phrase pro coachs will toss out to satiate fans, but it doesn't really mean anything. Anyone in NHL is used to taking a hit or two. It can matter as a team over a playoff series maybe, but game to game and one player, no one cares.

Jets2014

Feb 8, 2014
Wait... do you actually think Peluso would have been the difference in that game? And on top of that you think he should be playing AHEAD of Ehlers, Burmi and Thorburn? I think we have bigger problems to worry about.

We are 5th worst in GA, we have the 2nd worst powerplay, we have the 4th worst penalty kill and people are complaining about 4th line players? If we look at the Jets, more depth would definitely help. However, who plays on the powerplay our top end guys, who plays on the penalty kill, Wheeler, Ladd, Stafford, mostly our top end guys, and as for GA, the 4th line rarely plays close to 10mins a night. So how can you blame the Jets current problem to 4th line players.

Whether it's coaching or the players, right now Wheeler and Schief have been our only good top 6 forwards, because Little's been up and down this season, Ladd's been just awful, Perrault is good but belongs a third line for a playoff team, as well as Stafford.

Edit: We are also 4th worst in faceoff %, another factor that I think gets overlooked.

I will give you Wheeler has been solid all season, Schoef good all season?? Wow we must have set the bar low for him.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
What's the difference between the Jets at the beginning of the season and the Jets play of late.
The PK and PP is the difference ... that's it. You can add a lucky or unlucky bounce in that picture too.
How many goals against the Jets have gone off a Jets player lately?

The Jets can turn it around but one thing the have to do right away is play defensive hockey and forget about trying chances and pinching in the D. Let the other teams make the mistake.
Taking Ladd of the #1 line would be a good ideal too.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
Hitting is probably the second most flawed stat in hockey (the worst giveaway and takeaway are worst for same reasons, but even more inconsistent). 1) It is taken by the HOME TEAM, subject to whatever idiot they hire wants to call a hit. It means rink to rink hits vary by such a degree as to make the stat useless. 2) It is taken by the HOME TEAM, meaning it invariable has a high bias for the home team.

So using to defend any argument is a dubious at best proposition. What I notice is that the Jets win more games with more skill when Thorburn was #12 forward and Peluso had no chance to ever dress. That's what I notice.

And from a hockey side, when guys can't identify the attack angle it makes their hits USELESS and any coach worth their salt will tell you the same. Peluso can't identify attack angles. His hits are irrelevant at best, cost the team penalties at worst for the most part. "Punishing the opponent" is a nice catch phrase pro coachs will toss out to satiate fans, but it doesn't really mean anything. Anyone in NHL is used to taking a hit or two. It can matter as a team over a playoff series maybe, but game to game and one player, no one cares.

Thank you for this post...the Jets as a team consistently hit the opponents in their end on the wrong side basically making the contact pointless. They don't impede the progress of the player, nor interrupt the movement of the puck.

Kamo

Jul 10, 2011
I will give you Wheeler has been solid all season, Schoef good all season?? Wow we must have set the bar low for him.

Yes, maybe a few games he hasn't been outstanding but for the most part he's been good. You have to remember he's only 22 years old and has been getting better every season. I don't know about you but I like Scheif's progression.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I've come to terms already that the Jet's won't be close to the playoffs this year. Disappointing to say the least. I definitely think there needs to be some tweaking but I'm not too sure what can be done. I just hope if there are not going to resign Buff or Ladd they at least get some picks for them at the deadline.

Trouba has only had a few games at LD so I'm going to cut him some slack there. Hopefully he improves quickly if he is going to stay there.

To be honest I'm more upset that our two #1's are not going to be at the Jrs. than with the Jet's. As a Winnipegger i am used to mediocrity

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
LLW Troub + Buff were pretty awful. Maybe the ice time they played the night before impacted their performance? Falling behind early and chasing the game, seems to be the norm this year... It didn't happen much last season.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The thing is, they should have won that Edmonton game. Then they go into Calgary against a rested team having such a physical and psychological let down the night before. I can cut them slack for that.

I can't cut Ladd any slack though - he was bad in both games, and has been bad pretty much all season by my eye test. Has his sports hernia removed a step like Getzlaf?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad