Bad look for Evan Bouchard...ducks a hit and controller disconnects

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Ftr... I don't think he's a Norris contender.

I do think there is a huge gap between being a Norris contender and being a lousy D. He's much closer to the top than the bottom.

Ok, but wouldn’t playing most minutes with two of the game’s best players heavily impact those stats? Honest question, I like advanced stats when used properly- unless these numbers are isolated, which I don’t see how you can do, of course more goals are expected when he’s combined with some very good players. I’d think, like, Seth Jones would see a lot more expected goals for and fewer against were he in that position, for instance.

Reactions: BM14

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Ok, but wouldn’t playing most minutes with two of the game’s best players heavily impact those stats? Honest question, I like advanced stats when used properly- unless these numbers are isolated, which I don’t see how you can do, of course more goals are expected when he’s combined with some very good players.
Name a top D that plays with shitty forwards?

I'd argue Hughes and Makar have more talent around them. Same with Hedman. Maybe Josi has a weaker supporting cast?

Reactions: PaulD

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Name a top D that plays with shitty forwards?

I'd argue Hughes and Makar have more talent around them. Same with Hedman. Maybe Josi has a weaker supporting cast?

Those guys are kinda uniquely game breaking though, come on now. It’s the fact that there’s two of em, and one is clearly on another level. We also aren’t even getting into details of usage- if Makar plays 14 minutes a night with Mac and they often start in the dzone that’s very different from Bouchard playing 13 with McD and 10 with Drai, with more offensive draws. I’m just making numbers up, but you get my point- the specifics of any given player’s usage is gonna be reflected in these stats, so it’s removing key context to hold up these numbers as evidence.

And yes, Jodi’s supporting cast is much worse.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Those guys are kinda uniquely game breaking though, come on now. It’s the fact that there’s two of em, and one is clearly on another level. We also aren’t even getting into details of usage- if Makar plays 14 minutes a night with Mac and they often start in the dzone that’s very different from Bouchard playing 13 with McD and 10 with Drai, with more offensive draws. I’m just making numbers up, but you get my point- the specifics of any given player’s usage is gonna be reflected in these stats, so it’s removing key context to hold up these numbers as evidence.

And yes, Jodi’s supporting cast is much worse.
I get your point but I don't agree.

You are saying Bouch is good because of McDavid and Drai. At this point in the season I've read the 'because McDavid' argument for pretty much every player on the roster including the water boy.lol

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
His overtime last night is the perfect encapsulation of why people shit talk him all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I get your point but I don't agree.

You are saying Bouch is good because of McDavid and Drai. At this point in the season I've read the 'because McDavid' argument for pretty much every player on the roster including the water boy.lol
Not only that, but Drai is also a 60 point forward who is a byproduct of McDavid ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
He's got a hard slapshot though

Typical game for him. Minus 2 with some horrible defensive plays but got 2 points with the extra man to make those stats look juicy for his next contract

PPG defensemen looking for a Nurse-like contract
Yeah a typical night for him is going -2 and getting 2 points on the pp yet he is somehow 6th in +/- among defensemen in the league with +26, funny how that works.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yeah a typical night for him is going -2 and getting 2 points on the pp yet he is somehow 6th in +/- among defensemen in the league with +26, funny how that works.
I'm also loving the 'without his shot' argument.

Ok, let me try a few others

Without his speed, McDavid would not be as good
Without his shot, Matthews would be worse
Without his reflexes, Hasek wouldn't have been as good
Without his size, Lindros wouldn't have been as good

Why are we eliminating players best qualities and then calling them trash?lol

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I'm also loving the 'without his shot' argument.

Ok, let me try a few others

Without his speed, McDavid would not be as good
Without his shot, Matthews would be worse
Without his reflexes, Hasek wouldn't have been as good
Without his size, Lindros wouldn't have been as good

Why are we eliminating players best qualities and then calling them trash?lol

without their arms and legs Makar and Hughes would be so much worse that the average Hfboards member would be a better Defenseman than both of them combined

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Reminds me a bit of Barrie. Great offense but terrible D. That said, he needs to be paired with a shut down type D to bring out his strengths and cover up his weaknesses.

Reactions: Dieseloil

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Oiler fans don’t think this guy is Norris level, but some of the takes on here suggest the guy isn’t one of the most elite offensive dmen in the league and is only getting better. He has a top 3 shot and breakout pass in the league as a dman

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Oiler fans don’t think this guy is Norris level, but some of the takes on here suggest the guy isn’t one of the most elite offensive dmen in the league and is only getting better. He has a top 3 shot and breakout pass in the league as a dman
This... Not Norris but an absolute awesome elite offensive Dman. Love watching him play.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He's got a hard slapshot though

Typical game for him. Minus 2 with some horrible defensive plays but got 2 points with the extra man to make those stats look juicy for his next contract

PPG defensemen looking for a Nurse-like contract
Just out of curiosity, given your description of his "typical game" how does he manage to be +27 on the year?? More to the point how is it that amongst all defenseman who have played 500+ minutes he has the best xGF% and the 11 best actual GF% to go along with the best HDCF%? Could it be that what you describe as typical is not really that?

Just to add to the above Bouchard has been a -ve 18 times in 71 games. Five of those were in the Oilers disastrous first 12 games. In comparison, Morgan Rielly has been a -ve 23 times in 65 games, Cale Makar has been a -ve 21 times in 68 games Quinn Hughes 16 times in 73 games...

Last edited:

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Just out of curiosity, given your description of his "typical game" how does he manage to be +27 on the year?? More to the point how is it that amongst all defenseman who have played 500+ minutes he has the best xGF% and the 11 best actual GF% to go along with the best HDCF%? Could it be that what you describe as typical is not really that?
Because Canuck fan inferiority complex (I’m guessing, since he’s already blocked for me and I have half that fanbase blocked 😂)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's a lot like John Carlson, they're both about the same size, both take a lot of shit for their D lapses at times, both are elite offensively. Carlson has three 70+ point seasons under his belt, Bouchard just got his first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad