Bad look for Evan Bouchard...ducks a hit and controller disconnects

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The issue isn't the offence, the issue is that he flat out refuses to even try to play like an NHLer in his own zone. When you're that much of a defensive liability, you're hurting the team no matter how many points you put up.
You are talking about GF and GA... The problem is that you don't know what Bouchs is.

You think it will is 50GF and 100 GA... It's not even close. You should look it up for March.. or February... Or January.

You might be surprised. But, for sure, Mack and Matthews made him look silky. That was 2 goals against March.

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton
He's a lot like John Carlson, they're both about the same size, both take a lot of shit for their D lapses at times, both are elite offensively. Carlson has three 70+ point seasons under his belt, Bouchard just got his first.
Except Carlson has never had good possession numbers in his entire career, Bouchard is having an amazing season. For his career Carlson has 47.91 HDCF% and 47.77 xG%.

Reactions: Bank Shot

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Reminds me a bit of Barrie. Great offense but terrible D. That said, he needs to be paired with a shut down type D to bring out his strengths and cover up his weaknesses.
Only difference being that he's way better offensively than Barrie ever was. Look Bouchard's defensive game still isn't good, but it has improved significantly over the past 2 years. Even with a poor defensive game he's still an elite D.

Wow they both get massive boosts playing with each other, it's almost like good players make each other better. This will truly be a shocking revelation to some people on this website.
Wait you're telling me an elite offensive puck moving D with a generational dual threat centre makes the dual threat centre better?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The issue isn't the offence, the issue is that he flat out refuses to even try to play like an NHLer in his own zone. When you're that much of a defensive liability, you're hurting the team no matter how many points you put up.
This is just straight up false. He has moments where he tries and puts in the effort and has adequate defensive results, and there are times when he doesn't. Let's not mistake inconsistency for inability or refusal. There is also nothing to support your claim that he hurts his team more than he helps it. In fact every stat available says the opposite.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
It seems like you feel that if you repeat this enough times, it will make it true, but Bouchard's "liability defence" never seems to show up in the goals allowed column at the end of the season.

Weird.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Excellent article on Bouchard:

An in-depth analysis of Evan Bouchard’s game using stats and video

Cliffs notes of article:

Offensize zone poise:

Dzone denials:

Zone exits:

Retrievals:

Defensive mistake:

Defensive metrics:

Area to improve:

Anyone calling this guy a 3rd pair/Barrie 2.0 is very lost.

He will be one of the best defenders in the league for many years to come.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It seems like you feel that if you repeat this enough times, it will make it true, but Bouchard's "liability defence" never seems to show up in the goals allowed column at the end of the season.

Weird.
It must be because of the Oilers truly exceptional team defense and goaltending! :sarcasm:

Seriously, its actually hard to believe how a narrative that flies in the face of reality and that can be so easily disproved can be so entrenched.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Bouchard is just slow. Good hockey player but he skates like Dana Murzyn. He soaks up a ton of points playing on an offensive juggernaut but he isn’t in my top 20 list for D men.

Good for him though he’s come a long way. Ekholm has really settled him down.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Excellent article on Bouchard:

An in-depth analysis of Evan Bouchard’s game using stats and video

Cliffs notes of article:

Offensize zone poise:

Dzone denials:

Zone exits:

Retrievals:

Defensive mistake:

Defensive metrics:

Area to improve:

Anyone calling this guy a 3rd pair/Barrie 2.0 is very lost.

He will be one of the best defenders in the league for many years to come.

Oh boy, here we go again.

Do you guys remember when we were doing this kind of shit all the time with Pens fans a few years ago? Like... I don't remember if Maata actually made the list before his unfortunate situation but... Dumoulin and John Marino come to mind immediately and I think I'm still forgetting one. Remember how Marino was surely going to "be a fixture in the league for years" with potential that made him sound like what Adam Fox actually is, how they listened to absolutely nobody, and then shortly enough flipped the script when he was traded to Jersey and went "yeah he works but he's not all that"?

Defensemen in this league win their respect by attrition, it takes a lot of fans and teams trying to find new ways to tear somebody down before we can all say "okay, yeah, he's a stud" and you're not going to break through with metrics in a sample size we've seen before.

Three years of this and we're there. We aren't right now, as good as this season is.

• Haha
Reactions: Steven Toast

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Bouchard is just slow. Good hockey player but he skates like Dana Murzyn. He soaks up a ton of points playing on an offensive juggernaut but he isn’t in my top 20 list for D men.

Good for him though he’s come a long way. Ekholm has really settled him down.
It is actually possible to check claims like this out now.

It seems as far as speed goes he is basically right in the middle for NHL defensemen.

Reactions: Czechboy

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
You all are just hating on a young and upcoming defenseman. Dude is a stud who will only get better.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
I said he’s a good young D. He isn’t in the Makar, Hughes, Dobson, Heiskanen, Dahlin, Fox class. Doesn’t mean he isn’t a good player.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Oh boy, here we go again.

Do you guys remember when we were doing this kind of shit all the time with Pens fans a few years ago? Like... I don't remember if Maata actually made the list before his unfortunate situation but... Dumoulin and John Marino come to mind immediately and I think I'm still forgetting one. Remember how Marino was surely going to "be a fixture in the league for years" with potential that made him sound like what Adam Fox actually is, how they listened to absolutely nobody, and then shortly enough flipped the script when he was traded to Jersey and went "yeah he works but he's not all that"?

Defensemen in this league win their respect by attrition, it takes a lot of fans and teams trying to find new ways to tear somebody down before we can all say "okay, yeah, he's a stud" and you're not going to break through with metrics in a sample size we've seen before.

Three years of this and we're there. We aren't right now, as good as this season is.
You really comparing Bouchard to Dumolin and Marino?

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I really don't understand the hate for a guy who is scoring at a PPG rate like its easy to do just because he plays on the Oilers...if that was the case it would be easy for any team with a high GPG to have a defenseman with that type of production.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Last I checked +- is more of an offensive stat than D. You clearly need goals to get a "+" and having Mcdavid in your line tends to help with that category.
So being on the ice for more goals for than goals against is helping the team right?

It doesnt matter if you win every game 10-8 or 2-1.

a win is a win.

He's got a hard slapshot though

Typical game for him. Minus 2 with some horrible defensive plays but got 2 points with the extra man to make those stats look juicy for his next contract

PPG defensemen looking for a Nurse-like contract
This isnt a Morgan Reilly thread.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Being +31 at 5on5 is hurting the team?

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
So being on the ice for more goals for than goals against is helping the team right?

It doesnt matter if you win every game 10-8 or 2-1.

a win is a win.

This isnt a Morgan Reilly thread.
Please find me a player with Mcdavid stats or even less where another player plays with that said player, and is a minus. I'll be waiting....
Point is, I could lace up my skates, play along Mcdavid, and be a positive player.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Please find me a player with Mcdavid stats or even less where another player plays with that said player, and is a minus. I'll be waiting....
Point is, I could lace up my skates, play along Mcdavid, and be a positive player.
Point was the right word here. Brayden Point plays with Kucherov and is right now a -15. Kucherov himself was a -2 last year.

Bouchard is +8 in 553 minutes at ES away from McDavid. He is a +4 in 345 minutes this year playing at ES with neither McDavid or Draisaitl on the ice. When none of the the three are on the ice the Oilers are -4.

Would you be a +ve player playing with Matthias Janmark??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad