Post-Game Talk: Bad game gets to shootout where Wings are bad

Actual Thought*

Yet another "inspired" performance and now clinging to a playoff spot by the thinnest of margins.:shakehead

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Mainly focusing on the idea that Blashill is clueless because he put Helm in the shootout.

I'm more annoyed with Zetterberg who had a gaping cage to shoot at but put it right into Miller because he had a simple set play in mind.

I honestly don't think Zetterberg has the body control anymore after a full hockey game at this point in his career to deviate from the move he had settled on in the middle of performing the move.

Larkin went into the boards after his deke. Why? Because he went all in on the move and just couldn't keep his balance. I don't think either Z or Datsuyk want to go into the boards or pull a hammy or something in a SO attempt.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
Jimmy played great in the shootout last night. That is the first time that I can say that in years. Too bad his teamates let him down.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I honestly don't think Zetterberg has the body control anymore after a full hockey game at this point in his career to deviate from the move he had settled on in the middle of performing the move.

Larkin went into the boards after his deke. Why? Because he went all in on the move and just couldn't keep his balance. I don't think either Z or Datsuyk want to go into the boards or pull a hammy or something in a SO attempt.

The problem was that Zetterberg had Miller beat but was dead-set on the "backhand five-hole" move and didn't even think to change it up. A guy with that much hockey sense should be able to adapt.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Helm is not a horrible option for shootouts, at least as the 7th shooter or whatever he was. Yes yes I know stonehands whatever. He has scored on breakaways before. At least he comes in with speed and tries to score, which is more than Datsyuk or Nyquist can say lately. Yes Helm is likely to fake himself out, but if he fakes himself out then he also fakes the goalie out, and if he accidentally puts it on net it has a good chance of going in.

Aug 6, 2012
I could care less about the shootout. This team didn't play well enough, simple as that. Fumbling the luck like crazy, trying to do too much. Time to change up the lines. Put Larkin with Dats.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Need to switch up the lines. The Larkin - Z- Abs line is stale and Nyquist - Sheahan - Tatar isn't doing anything.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

They're really dragging this stuff out, not calling anyone up. We already have just 12 forwards and should have called someone up a week ago, now we maybe lose Z too. Very easy decision to call up AA, and they should probably give Mantha a look too. XO deserves a look too. Team is in need of a bit of a jolt.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Jim Howard stopped 5 of 7 in the shootout?

Can we give credit where credit is due? Everyone jumps all over this guy any other time we lose a shootout.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Jim Howard stopped 5 of 7 in the shootout?

Can we give credit where credit is due? Everyone jumps all over this guy any other time we lose a shootout.

we had to overcome 2 soft goals so it was also his fault it went to a shoot out to begin with

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The problem was that Zetterberg had Miller beat but was dead-set on the "backhand five-hole" move and didn't even think to change it up. A guy with that much hockey sense should be able to adapt.

I saw the shootout attempt a number of times so I know what the problem was. But that problem is explained by something other than "being dead-set" or "hockey sense". There's a split second of realizing Miller bit on the move but bit so badly that the five hole isn't open but the entire side of the net is open instead.

It requires an extremely quick reaction to alter your shot at that time. Remember a shot isn't just pressing a button, it requires the brain to get your muscles to perform certain functions in just the right way. The problem really is reaction time and nimbleness. Both things that tend to be reduced with age and exertion. And let's not pretend that this *ever* was the big strength of Zetterberg.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Some people around here call every goal he gives up a "soft goal."

I don't consider myself a Howard hater (although there was a season or so in there where I couldn't stand the guy due to his shoddy play) but it actually does seem like the guy gives up a lot of soft goals. I wonder if that has to do with his body language or something. When he does give up a soft goal, he doesn't really let you forget it because he doesn't have that snap-back swagger.

Either way, happy with his play this year.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
They're really dragging this stuff out, not calling anyone up. We already have just 12 forwards and should have called someone up a week ago, now we maybe lose Z too. Very easy decision to call up AA, and they should probably give Mantha a look too. XO deserves a look too. Team is in need of a bit of a jolt.

I'm far from Kenny's biggest fan, but I'm sure there are sound business reasons behind it.

I might be wrong, but they save like $3-5k a day by not calling someone up. That's saved them around $50k recently, which is probably enough to cover a random performance bonus or two. There also might be bonuses for NHL games played in a season for guys like Mantha, AA, and XO to worry about. There's also just the fact that no one has to sit if you can keep it going.

Also, you can move Smith to forward in a pinch and put in Kindl, which maintains or even boosts (however microscopically) their value by getting/keeping them in the game.

Actual Thought*

Blashill said he is embarrassed by the job he did of preparing his team. He then said he has "unbelievable belief" in the team whatever the **** that means. :help:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Blashill said he is embarrassed by the job he did of preparing his team. He then said he has "unbelievable belief" in the team whatever the **** that means. :help:

What if Blashill said he wasn't embarrassed? Would you have also knocked him for that?

What exactly should Blashill be saying to the media?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Hank had such a nice move but what a putrid finish, why would he go 5 hole with an empty net?

He obviously anticipated the goalie to move the other way. Do you actually think he would try to go 5 hole to an open net? Why do ppl not understand this?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
What if Blashill said he wasn't embarrassed? Would you have also knocked him for that?

Blashill is saying exactly what every other coach in the league says when their team plays poorly. Babcock must've said the team 'didn't start on time' or he didn't 'do a good job preparing them' a million times.

Actual Thought*

I am glad he admitted he did a **** job of preparing his team. I don't think my post says otherwise. The team played another stinker. They have done so about 20 times this season. Nothing new there. I just think when endorsing his team he should choose words that don't make him appear to be an incoherent ****ing idiot. Too much to ask? I dunno.:dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00