Bad faith ... Wow

• Thread starter A Good Flying Bird*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Good Flying Bird*

How is the PA supposed to take the league seriously?
I just finally read a synopsis of yesterday's offer.
Not only was there a cap, which is to be expected at this time.
But the league also banned RFA hold outs?
So lemme get this straight, a player's contract expires. He's under no contract with anyone.
His only leverage to get a better contract is to hold out (or shop services in Europe).
And now the league is banning it.

This is nonsense.
This is not a serious attempt to negotiate by ANY stretch of the imagination.

It's like the owners have come up with a wish list of 10 outlandish desires and demanded every single one of them, without any understanding of the reality the league has operated under for the past 10 years.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
Newsguyone said:
So lemme get this straight, a player's contract expires. He's under no contract with anyone.
His only leverage to get a better contract is to hold out (or shop services in Europe).

This is nonsense.

It's like the owners have come up with a wish list of 10 outlandish desires and demanded every single one of them, without any understanding of the reality the league has operated under for the past 10 years.

That was an option in the arbitration section. Quite frankly, I think everything after "mutual arbitration" was fluff to be negotiated out to the point where the arbitration clause was one line indicating two-way arbitration.

Hockey_Nut99

I'll tell you what's nonsense. A player holding out like a whiny bi***....Holding a team hostage and ruining it's chances of making the playoffs if it's a long holdout. Why should they be able to hold out?

Why don't you go to work and then hold out for more money. If you have a contract and it expires, then demand more and sit out. Your a** will get kicked to the curb very quick. The players had every leverage in the last cba. Banning holdouts is a good thing. Wouldn't you want a full roster for your favourite team at the start of a season?

Stop drinking so much koolaid

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Newsguyone said:

This is nonsense.

An RFA's leverage in negotiations should be his skill. If a player is asking for so much that a team would rather lose him for a year than pay him, then maybe that player has greatly misjudged his value.

Old Hickory

Newsguyone said:

This is nonsense.

Just playing Devils advocate. What of the league put thigns like the lack of holding out and the UFA age of 30 as items to negotiate?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Hockey_Nut99 said:
I'll tell you what's nonsense. A player holding out like a whiny bi***....Holding a team hostage and ruining it's chances of making the playoffs if it's a long holdout. Why should they be able to hold out?

Why don't you go to work and then hold out for more money. If you have a contract and it expires, then demand more and sit out. Your a** will get kicked to the curb very quick. The players had every leverage in the last cba. Banning holdouts is a good thing. Wouldn't you want a full roster for your favourite team at the start of a season?

Stop drinking so much koolaid

If my contract ends with my employer, I am free to seek employment elsewhere (generally speaking). This isn't the case for NHL players due to restricted free agency. Apples and oranges.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Instead of complaining about the NHL’s proposal why didn’t the PA take the time to create a counter proposal?

And what defines good faith bargaining? Has either side truly engaged in good faith bargaining?

(And the answer to that would be no)

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
HockeyCritter said:
Instead of complaining about the NHL’s proposal why didn’t the PA take the time to create a counter proposal?

And what defines good faith bargaining? Has either side truly engaged in good faith bargaining?

(And the answer to that would be no)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NHL is the only party to call a news conference bashing the other side's offer.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Newsguyone said:

This is nonsense.

ditto - its a triple cap -

likea

Jul 9, 2004
Jobu said:
If my contract ends with my employer, I am free to seek employment elsewhere (generally speaking). This isn't the case for NHL players due to restricted free agency. Apples and oranges.

they actually can seek employment elsewhere

Russia, Sweden ect...

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
If a player doesn't want to play for the amount of their qualifying offer during RFA status they have every right to go play overseas. They can negotiate to a point but holding out while the season is going on is rediculous. Not only does it hurt the team because they are missing a player off their roster and it's a distraction, They also have to take into account how much payroll that player is going to take up once they come back. This way if a player holds out past a certain date at least a team can straighten itself out once the season get's underway.

The player's aren't going to be forced out of the league because of this, it's going to prevent teams from missing players at the start of the season. It's a deadline in negotiations, kind of like the deadline we're at now. If nothing is solved at this point then the season is lost for everyone.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Jobu said:
The players are free to seek employment elsewhere. They can negotiate a deal with any team in the NHL. They are also 100% free to join one of any number of leagues.

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
Jobu said:

Being RFAs does not stop them from being able to go to Europe and play.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
amazingcrwns said:
If a player doesn't want to play for the amount of their qualifying offer during RFA status they have every right to go play overseas. They can negotiate to a point but holding out while the season is going on is rediculous. Not only does it hurt the team because they are missing a player off their roster and it's a distraction, They also have to take into account how much payroll that player is going to take up once they come back. This way if a player holds out past a certain date at least a team can straighten itself out once the season get's underway.

The player's aren't going to be forced out of the league because of this, it's going to prevent teams from missing players at the start of the season. It's a deadline in negotiations, kind of like the deadline we're at now. If nothing is solved at this point then the season is lost for everyone.

exactly, it's a two-way street. the player can lose a season in the NHL if he pushes too hard, and the team can lose the player for the season if they are low-balling. it helps the owners by not letting players hold them hostage and keeping salaries down some, but you telling me teams aren't going to bargain hard to try and get a player signed to a fair deal so they have their services?

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Jobu said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NHL is the only party to call a news conference bashing the other side's offer.
Would that be the one and only proposal submitted by the PA? The one that the league took five days to consider before rejecting while formulating a counter proposal? I suppose it was righteous indignation that caused Linden to shoutd his injured feelings from the mountain tops.

Neither side tried to negoitate a real deal, neither side made an honest effort in resolving the problem, neither side is blameless, and neither side has been truthful.

Brent Burns Beard