Bad faith ... Wow

• Thread starter A Good Flying Bird*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanny MacDonald*

DR said:
1st off its not a hold out if he has completed his contract.

why shouldnt he be allowed to sit out until he has a contract offer that he agree's to ? is it not his human right to choose to not play hockey for less than 1billion dollars per shift ?

thats an exageration of course, but the point remains, why should he not be allowed to sit out until an agreement is reached ? was he put on this earth simply to be a gladiator for us ?

dr

And the league is not making a holdout or any sort of action where the player decides to sit as being illegal or impossible. The league has just put a drop dead date in the CBA for contracts to be signed. Anything signed after that and the player sits for a year and does not get paid. It is no different than what you or I go through (if you're at the level you claim to be at). A company tenders an offer for your services and lets you know you have until X date to negotiate and decide. If you fail to submit your contract to them by the time in question the company takes that as a no and goes to the next candidate that has been identified and recruited for the position. The players have choices as do the teams.

The nice thing about this is that it develops urgency on both parties. The players need to get signed by a certain date, and the teams need to fill out their roster by a certain date. If the player you're trying to sign doesn't want to sign, then you can spend your money on another body that will sign and hopefully provide the same bang for the buck. This type of clause has been long over-due IMO. They have deadlines all damn year, why not ones at the start for setting 50 man organizational rosters for the season? I applaud the NHL for this. Its common sense and affects both sides equally.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
barnburner said:
Being RFAs does not stop them from being able to go to Europe and play.

Big deal. It stops them, in practical terms, from playing in the NHL. Group II offer sheets are things of the past.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
DR said:
1st off its not a hold out if he has completed his contract.

why shouldnt he be allowed to sit out until he has a contract offer that he agree's to ? is it not his human right to choose to not play hockey for less than 1billion dollars per shift ?

thats an exageration of course, but the point remains, why should he not be allowed to sit out until an agreement is reached ? was he put on this earth simply to be a gladiator for us ?

dr

Did you even read the proposal?

They aren't banning hold-outs.

They are making it so that if you hold out, you miss an entire year. Both Kovalev and Peca did that under the old CBA.

I would think any fan of the game would applaud the move as holdouts have long been a problem. It's not good for fans or the league to have impact players sitting out and not playing.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
The Iconoclast said:
And the league is not making a holdout or any sort of action where the player decides to sit as being illegal or impossible. The league has just put a drop dead date in the CBA for contracts to be signed. Anything signed after that and the player sits for a year and does not get paid. It is no different than what you or I go through (if you're at the level you claim to be at). A company tenders an offer for your services and lets you know you have until X date to negotiate and decide. If you fail to submit your contract to them by the time in question the company takes that as a no and goes to the next candidate that has been identified and recruited for the position. The players have choices as do the teams.

The nice thing about this is that it develops urgency on both parties. The players need to get signed by a certain date, and the teams need to fill out their roster by a certain date. If the player you're trying to sign doesn't want to sign, then you can spend your money on another body that will sign and hopefully provide the same bang for the buck. This type of clause has been long over-due IMO. They have deadlines all damn year, why not ones at the start for setting 50 man organizational rosters for the season? I applaud the NHL for this. Its common sense and affects both sides equally.
fair enough and the teams should be able to set a line in the sand and if the player lets it pass, tough beans. i have no problem with that. whats stopping them for doing it now ? The Canucks did it with Schaefer, why dont more teams just do that ?

however, legislation that doesnt allow either party to change their mind is an unfair burden to both parties. in your example, the company can set a date and 3 months later aproach me again if they choose.

the NHL is trying to not allow it. i dont like the dynamic it creates in the negotiation.

however, and in fairness for both sides, the # of cases of players who dont agree on a contract before the season starts is not startling. its a dozen or so players per year. its not a big deal in the big picture, which is why its dumb that the owners would try to hammer another point like this, just for the sake of it.

every point in the owners offfer is a "give back" by the players. since this is really inconsequential, its a flagrant power play by the owners.

if their goal is to get a cap (linkage), the are going about it in a manner that can only be resolved by breaking the union. if they instead GAVE instead of TAKE in the other points, maybe there wouldnt be such a hard stand against them.

why fight a battle like this (14 day signing) when your goal is to win the war. what a waste and it just reaks of manouvering ande spite.

dr

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Jobu said:
Big deal. It stops them, in practical terms, from playing in the NHL. Group II offer sheets are things of the past.

Under the old CBA they are. Unless you have access to the future I don't think you can say with any authority whatsoever that RFA's might be treated differently under a new CBA. If other inflationary tools are taken out then restricted free agency may play a much bigger role.

But obviously your mind is closed to that possibility. Not surprising.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Did you even read the proposal?

They aren't banning hold-outs.

They are making it so that if you hold out, you miss an entire year. Both Kovalev and Peca did that under the old CBA.

I would think any fan of the game would applaud the move as holdouts have long been a problem. It's not good for fans or the league to have impact players sitting out and not playing.
its worse for the league to continue this work stoppage. why dont the owners make a proposal that pays each player 150k for 10 years. thats better for the league than the offer they make now, right ?

the fact is, if you want the players to agree to linkage, the owners need to stop hammering away at points that are so minor. their are what 1 or 2 players a season who extend their sit out past training camp and maybe a dozen or so who sit out training camp ? why make such a big deal out of it.

dr

SENSible1*

The owners have given up the right to add a players who's rights they hold if they can't convince him to sign a contract within 14 days.

The pressure is on both sides.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
DR said:
who says otherwise ?

under the old system, the team could not offer a player a QO and cut him completly. he could offer a QO and presumably if the player is sitting out it means that he rejected it. once the player rejects the QO, the team is free to offer whatever they want and retain rights to match and compensation.

why dont you give an example though of a player who has refused his QO, sat out into the season and should be offered a reduction in pay. hmm ? so name some one ? i bet you cant.

dr
I think you are totally missing the point.

Players have the right (and I am not arguing against the removal of said right) to hold out if they feel that the qualifying offer tenured by ownership is disproportion to his value. The player can hold out or file for arbitration. If he files for arbitration the owners have the right to walk away from the table thereby making the player a UFA (again, no risk to the player). The point I was trying to make was that owners, as of now, have no recourse to lower a player’s contract when they believe the player is paid more than his value. Basically I am stating that there should be two-way arbitration.

(And I really think the antagonistical tone of your post is unwarranted; if you were uncertain of my point, I would gladly have clarified it for you)

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Epsilon said:
This entire discussion is about players whose contracts have expired, and are now restricted free agents. Why people keep bringing up Alexei Yashin-type situations I have no idea.

To repeat: the league is trying to ban players not under contract from sitting out in hopes of a better deal. This has nothing to do with players under contract saying they won't play unless they get a new deal first. The courts told Alexei Yashin where he could stick that idea already.
How is Gonchar’s propensity to hold out at the start of each contract remotely related to Yashin?

The NHL proposal would force both sides to come to an agreement within 14 days of the start of the season (or was it camp) . . . again, this caveat is a negotiating ploy.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
HockeyCritter said:
How is Gonchar’s propensity to hold out at the start of each contract remotely related to Yashin?

The NHL proposal would force both sides to come to an agreement within 14 days of the start of the season (or was it camp) . . . again, this caveat is a negotiating ploy.

The point is some people in this thread are not paying attention to what the original post was about and are complaining about players holding out during their contracts.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
HockeyCritter said:
I think you are totally missing the point.

Players have the right (and I am not arguing against the removal of said right) to hold out if they feel that the qualifying offer tenured by ownership is disproportion to his value. The player can hold out or file for arbitration. If he files for arbitration the owners have the right to walk away from the table thereby making the player a UFA (again, no risk to the player). The point I was trying to make was that owners, as of now, have no recourse to lower a player’s contract when they believe the player is paid more than his value. Basically I am stating that there should be two-way arbitration.

(And I really think the antagonistical tone of your post is unwarranted; if you were uncertain of my point, I would gladly have clarified it for you)
well, sorry about that.

anyhow, the players offered 2 way arbitration, so there is common ground on their part.

but in reality, can you name a player who rejected his QO, sat out past training camp and really should have been paid less ? its just an uncommom combination. and if there really are no or few real case examples, why are we devising a system to control it ?

dr

Lanny MacDonald*

DR said:
in your example, the company can set a date and 3 months later aproach me again if they choose.

Then you're not at the level you claim to be at. There are no second chances when companies are looking for high profile players. You get a contract offer and you make your best deal and sign, or the boat sails. Any executive recruiter will tell you that exact same thing. Strike your best deal or don't cry in your beer when the company moves on.

the NHL is trying to not allow it. i dont like the dynamic it creates in the negotiation.

Tough. That's the real world. Its smething that both sides have to deal with. I personally love the fact that I know going into the season what players are going to be available for my team. No more of this whining about this guy being available. He isn't because of the choices made during the off-season. This issue is dead. Focus on the games taking place, not the crap off the ice.

however, and in fairness for both sides, the # of cases of players who dont agree on a contract before the season starts is not startling. its a dozen or so players per year. its not a big deal in the big picture, which is why its dumb that the owners would try to hammer another point like this, just for the sake of it.

This puts an end to half a dozen holdouts a year and works fair for both parties. Haven't we seen what this negotiation will do when there is no urgency? This creates urgency and ends a problem for the league and the off ice circus that has been a distration for years. Focus the product on the ice, not on the goofs who chose not to play.

every point in the owners offfer is a "give back" by the players. since this is really inconsequential, its a flagrant power play by the owners.

if their goal is to get a cap (linkage), the are going about it in a manner that can only be resolved by breaking the union. if they instead GAVE instead of TAKE in the other points, maybe there wouldnt be such a hard stand against them.

why fight a battle like this (14 day signing) when your goal is to win the war. what a waste and it just reaks of manouvering ande spite.

dr

And maybe its a mechnism put inplace to be given away? Or one that the league and the players have already agreed upon? We don't know. Personally I love it. I had in my mock CBA proposal as a mechanism and I think its great the league finally clued in on a really big problem with the game IMO. Too much stuff goes on off the ice that is a distraction.

Hockey_Nut99

Holdouts are just trouble. Evgeni Nabokov and Brad Stuart( who only got a a pathetic 29 poins the previous year) screwed SanJose over when he held out. Gaborik and Dupuis screwed Minny over.

Morrison held out after only playing 88 games for the devils. He didn't deserve to holdout that quick.

Elias held out after his 2nd full season with the Devils with a 50 point season. Him and Morrison signed around the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brent Burns Beard