Backup switch in the works? Raanta or Darling

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I think Raanta is the more talented of the two. What gets most people is that he consistently looks "out of sorts" even when he's in control, if that makes sense. He'll make an awesome, tough save, but then makes the routine stuff look very frenetic. I think that's just the way he is. Darling on the other hand is smoother, which gives the perception of him being better. If it comes to needing someone to make the tougher, more spectacular save, I chose Raanta.

This year I don't think it really matter who we have in net as our defense has been outstanding...and that's the most important thing. But if our defense reverts back to being sloppy in subsequent years, and past history indicates that it will, I think Raanta will be the better goalie for that going forward. I think he has the ability to make those frenetic saves (consistently) whereas I haven't seen that from Darling.

Honestly I don't think it will make a huge difference who we retain either way. We're in a really good spot right now.

I would go with Darling if the defense reverts to the old ways. The biggest problem, is when the defense is playing poorly, they aren't cleaning up rebounds and loose pucks. Raanta leaves a lot more rebounds and loose pucks than either Crawford or Darling do.

Nothingman*

From watching the last two games, I would pick Darling. And that is coming from someone who wants Raanta to succeed.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
We have 5 NHL caliber goalies. :amazed: Nillson is being underrated. He is dominating in the K and played decently for bad teams in NYI and Bridgeport last year. With the money problems over there I think he comes back.

I could see one of Raanta or Darling added to a trade as a sweetener.

FinHawk

Oct 18, 2006
Finland
Perhaps we have seen that we're playing well with two cheaper goalies Raanta & Darling.

So could we trade Crawford and his massive cap hit?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Who would do us the solid? Florida already has Luongo. We're stuck with Crawfs.

Sure sucks to be stuck with a guy who was arguably our real MVP in our second Cup run. Whatever will we do!?

DayNah

Ship it donk!
Feb 11, 2010
Sure sucks to be stuck with a guy who was arguably our real MVP in our second Cup run. Whatever will we do!?

I'm not complaining. Just not a fan of his cap hit. I wouldn't lose sleep if he was traded and we were stuck with Raant/Darling.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
About the worst I can say about Crow's contract is that we paid a little extra for long-term stability in net. And that's fine by me.

SatchelRuaz

Nov 2, 2014
I think at this point given the depth the organization has in net I would start looking at the possibility of moving either Darling or Raanta.

I would prefer to hold on to Darling, but that is just because I know some people close to the situation and love his story. However, if we keep them both I'm good with that too.

Crow isn't an elite goaltender, but in his time this year he has showed me plenty to justify the $ he is getting. I really don't understand why everyone is so tough on him. He's a Stanley Cup winner and likely should have been the MVP. Just because backups are getting W's doesn't mean that Crawford is irrelevant. He has stolen games several times this year when we needed him too.

Don't worry....Be happy! We have won 9 of 10 without #10 and have missed #50 too. Relax.

Nothingman*

Before this team started playing the best hockey of the year Crow was our best player. People are quick to forget.

Exactly. Easily the best player. Why people are thinking after a small sample size that either of these two G would or should replace Craw.

Q rode Craw so hard he had to go out and tie one on. Just needs to be more careful next time.

Xinji

Apr 27, 2014
And if people think we get by St. Louis or Minnesota last year with either this years Raanta or this years Darling in net, they are on some crazy drugs.

That's a bold statement with how little we've seen of Raanta and Darling. I do, however, easily feel the most comfortable with Crow in the net - then Darling - then Raanta.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Before this team started playing the best hockey of the year Crow was our best player. People are quick to forget.

I think we've seen over the years, that Crawford and his backups go with how the team is playing. When they play great defense, Crow and his backup(s) have great numbers. When they play mediocre defense, Crow and his backup(s) have mediocre numbers.

The Hawks struggled to score goals early in the season, which led to some losses where they probably should have won. But they've played great team defense and pk pretty much all year. That's why all 3 goalies have had a lot of success and similar numbers. Calling Crawford the team's best player is missing the bigger picture IMO.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Not when he was consistently stopping break aways, being a huge back stop to the PK (not giving him all of the credit here because the team has been great) and just being really consistent all year.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think we've seen over the years, that Crawford and his backups go with how the team is playing. When they play great defense, Crow and his backup(s) have great numbers. When they play mediocre defense, Crow and his backup(s) have mediocre numbers.

The Hawks struggled to score goals early in the season, which led to some losses where they probably should have won. But they've played great team defense and pk pretty much all year. That's why all 3 goalies have had a lot of success and similar numbers. Calling Crawford the team's best player is missing the bigger picture IMO.

A good post. Yes, CC looked solid before he was injured but there were many "one and done" type of opportunities against him, and that has pretty much continued with Raanta and Darling, and the team is scoring now.

Maybe Q should have the team play run and gun hockey to find out where these goalies stand. :laugh:

That said, I'm still amazed that we landed Darling. IMO, he's gotta stay.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006

Why I partly agree, it can't be denied that Crawford has upped his game over these past years, last years playoffs and the beginning of the season, Crawford has been keeping the team in the game when they had problems scoring.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
That's a bold statement with how little we've seen of Raanta and Darling. I do, however, easily feel the most comfortable with Crow in the net - then Darling - then Raanta.

It's far more bold to claim that either of those goalies could replace a Stanley Cup winning goalie.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

We won more than a handful of games because Crow stood on his head while this team went through the motions. Crow is a big reason why this teams posted such strong numbers.

He's a causation, not a byproduct.

He was our best player early in the season. Him or Keith.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
It's far more bold to claim that either of those goalies could replace a Stanley Cup winning goalie.

Its how Crow go his chance, replacing the cup winning Niemi. They seen something in Crow that in their eyes put him as suitable replacement for Niemi, at least when factoring in the cap issues. We find ourselves in a similar situation this coming offseason, having to unload salaries, except this time we have a goalie eating up 6 mil of cap space. Depending on how the cap moves we could trade Crow and keep pretty much everything else. I am not saying we should do this, I can just understand how it would need to be considered.

This injury to Crow could be significant regarding the future. If Raanta and Darling play outstanding and we continue to blow through everybody it just might get Stan thinking. Until the playoffs last season everyone was saying how bad the Crawford contract was and how we would have trouble trading him if we wanted to. Now that he has played well this year everyone has changed their tune. I must admit getting rid of his 6 mil salary, getting a good haul of picks in return, and not losing any of our other key players is something worth thinking about. Of course this is only if we feel one or both of the two guys behind him could replace him suitably.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad