Backup switch in the works? Raanta or Darling

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
At least per the team, sounds like they just sent him down to get some ice time prior to the circus trip. As far as we know, he's going to get brought back up and hasn't been demoted.

If true, I don't get why Q would want Raanta between the pipes ahead of Darling. Guess I shouldn't be surprised, however.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
The only possibility I see for Raanta staying in Rockford is Hawks not wanting to use IR for some reason and using the Darling cap savings plus a Nordstrom demotion to be able to call up a more expensive Dman to replace TvR.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
I don't know where to post this so here goes:

Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 24m24 minutes ago
Wouldn't surprise me if #Blackhawks made a move with their backup goaltender soon. Can see Scott Darling possibly replacing Antti Raanta.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Wouldn't be shocked, but no clue. I mean... I don't think that we'd really get much for either of them, so if a backup change is in the works I'd just expect a swap.

And went ahead and moved this to a more relevant topic.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Sounds like mere guess work by Kris..........

however, I can see Hawks swapping Darling for Raanta to get Raanta some game time in RFD. He must be getting sick of warming the bench, and I also wouldn't mind seeing Darling get another start with Hawks.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Personally not sold on either of those two enough to justify trading one, and keeping the other. Both have a lot more to prove IMO.

Damn, i know it's not true but it feels like Crawford has played every game this year and we rarely see our back up goalies.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Crawford plays all the games anyway... If they really like Darling more than Raanta they should just leave him in Rockford so he can actually play.

I agree with this though if that's the case I'd rather they trade Raanta and bring up Leighton.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Crawford plays all the games anyway... If they really like Darling more than Raanta they should just leave him in Rockford so he can actually play.

Which is exactly what they are doing but I think CC gets some games off very soon. I can see Friday for example vs Habs at home. Looking at the busy schedule ahead, it's possible we see a back-up for the following dates Dec 9,13,21,23.

I reckon that I'd rather see Darling in CC's place but Hawks could do a juggling act (depending how each fares) to get both Raanta and Darling in games before the new year.

LandofLincoln*

Raanta.. is my choice although not an easy one. Darling is having a career year.

poes law

Nov 11, 2013
Personally not sold on either of those two enough to justify trading one, and keeping the other. Both have a lot more to prove IMO.

Damn, i know it's not true but it feels like Crawford has played every game this year and we rarely see our back up goalies.

Agree with this. Neither has shown enough that we should feel comfortable if the other is completely out of the organization tomorrow. The value of having both as options should the worst happen and something happens to Crawford significantly outweighs whatever value they bring back in a trade.

w00d

Remember the Roar
Oct 14, 2011
Chicago Stadium
It's important to note that both Raanta and Darling lose their waiver exemption next season due to their ages, so the Hawks will have to pick one or the other going forward.

mtxed

Aug 17, 2007
I don't know where to post this so here goes:

Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 24m24 minutes ago
Wouldn't surprise me if #Blackhawks made a move with their backup goaltender soon. Can see Scott Darling possibly replacing Antti Raanta.

So he saw Crawford's injury coming from a mile away?

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
It's important to note that both Raanta and Darling lose their waiver exemption next season due to their ages, so the Hawks will have to pick one or the other going forward.

Tough decision, but such a nice dilemma to have, compared to some of the other teams in the league.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
I think Raanta is the more talented of the two. What gets most people is that he consistently looks "out of sorts" even when he's in control, if that makes sense. He'll make an awesome, tough save, but then makes the routine stuff look very frenetic. I think that's just the way he is. Darling on the other hand is smoother, which gives the perception of him being better. If it comes to needing someone to make the tougher, more spectacular save, I chose Raanta.

This year I don't think it really matter who we have in net as our defense has been outstanding...and that's the most important thing. But if our defense reverts back to being sloppy in subsequent years, and past history indicates that it will, I think Raanta will be the better goalie for that going forward. I think he has the ability to make those frenetic saves (consistently) whereas I haven't seen that from Darling.

Honestly I don't think it will make a huge difference who we retain either way. We're in a really good spot right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad