Backup switch in the works? Raanta or Darling

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Something is going on. I could see a morin trade/ bring up Teravainen type deal going on.

Nothingman*

Let's be frank. This has zero affect on the every day Hawks. It means little to nothing unless there is a trade to be made.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
What?!?! Why is twitter not sending updates to my phone tonight?! WHen there are actually things happening!!!
Anyways, this is weird. Don't really see the point. But... okay

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Sorry Raanta, I really enjoy you as a player and a human being.

Congrats Darling on a long fought battle for your dreams to become reality.

Wonder if this may hint at a potential trade, like what Taze Em suggests.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Chris Block just explained this away.

Darling played Fri/Sat, Leighton is hurt. Didn't want to play Darling 3 in 3 so they bring him up to sit behind Crawford tomorrow and play Raanta in Rockford.

Nothing to see here folks.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
I think this might actually be good for Raanta, to get some games. I don't really see it as a demonition rather than both allowing Raanta to play and rewarding Darling for his good play in AHL with a call-up that at least rewards him financially.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Chris Block just explained this away.

Darling played Fri/Sat, Leighton is hurt. Didn't want to play Darling 3 in 3 so they bring him up to sit behind Crawford tomorrow and play Raanta in Rockford.

Nothing to see here folks.

I figured it was something along these lines. If nothing else, it gets Raanta some much needed action after sitting since CC returned from injury.

That said however, I reckon Darling will get a start soon and this is the beginning to he becoming Hawk's back-up goalie..... and with the inevitable cap crunch approaching, who knows about the future. Hawks are going to be rather desperate to keep in tact their core. Could Crawford get moved in a year or so? Hmmmmm .... Never say never.

SatchelRuaz

Nov 2, 2014
As for Darling, I thought they might do this. He played extremely well when he was up, but they wanted him to play as much as possible with the Hogs.

The next two weeks we have two stretches with three games in four nights. Now that he is going to actually play up here they brought him up.

So happy for him. Guy on my men's league team played with him in the SPHL and has just raved about what a personal turnaround he has made off the ice. Definitely some big lifestyle changes had to be made for him to get where he is. Really cool story.

mtxed

Aug 17, 2007
As for Darling, I thought they might do this. He played extremely well when he was up, but they wanted him to play as much as possible with the Hogs.

The next two weeks we have two stretches with three games in four nights. Now that he is going to actually play up here they brought him up.

So happy for him. Guy on my men's league team played with him in the SPHL and has just raved about what a personal turnaround he has made off the ice. Definitely some big lifestyle changes had to be made for him to get where he is. Really cool story.

So you actually think Darling will get a few more NHL games in, or will Raanta be sent back up to the NHL in a few days to play those B2B games?? Let me understand this. Is this for a game or two or for the next few weeks?

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
So you actually think Darling will get a few more NHL games in, or will Raanta be sent back up to the NHL in a few days to play those B2B games?? Let me understand this. Is this for a game or two or for the next few weeks?

It makes sense that Darling plays those games. He has been the better of the two since training camp; his stellar play has been consistent, with Hawks and RFD.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
I figured it was something along these lines. If nothing else, it gets Raanta some much needed action after sitting since CC returned from injury.

That said however, I reckon Darling will get a start soon and this is the beginning to he becoming Hawk's back-up goalie..... and with the inevitable cap crunch approaching, who knows about the future. Hawks are going to be rather desperate to keep in tact their core. Could Crawford get moved in a year or so? Hmmmmm .... Never say never.

I would want Crawford moved the least of Sharp and Seabrook based on his play this year so I hope he is not the one moved.

However, even if Crawford isn't moved, there are cap reasons to roll with Darling over Raanta as the backup THIS SEASON because it makes it easier cap-wise to call up guys like McNeill, Teravainen, etc...

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I would want Crawford moved the least of Sharp and Seabrook based on his play this year so I hope he is not the one moved.

However, even if Crawford isn't moved, there are cap reasons to roll with Darling over Raanta as the backup THIS SEASON because it makes it easier cap-wise to call up guys like McNeill, Teravainen, etc. ..

Yes, quite true. This move makes sense in several ways, short term and long term. I hope Darling can keep progressing under these conditions, as he was the first to admit he wanted to play, even if it was in RFD.

I may be getting ahead of myself here, but I have a funny feeling that Q is going to have difficulty keeping Darling on the bench. He has impressed me that much.

Last edited:

SatchelRuaz

Nov 2, 2014

I think that, right now, they believe Darling is the better goaltender, but they want him to play as much as possible so they don't want him to sit behind Crawford all the time.

I think when Crow needs rest over the next two weeks Darling will be in the net. Two maybe three games over the next two weeks.

Crow

May 19, 2014
During the broadcast they made it sound like darling came up to ride the pine and raanta will be back with the team for the road trip.

Raanta seems to not want to say or not know during that interview.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Finnish media story says Quenneville said immediately that he wanted to give Raanta playing time and that he'll get games during the 6 game road trip, most likely the latter of the back-to-back games.

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA
Coming in peace trying to figure out some fantasy stuff.

Is Raanta looking like he is going to stay down in Rockford for a while to get some PT? Or has Darling taken over that back-up role?

Not sure whether it's worth hanging on to Raanta as a 4th goalie.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Coming in peace trying to figure out some fantasy stuff.

Is Raanta looking like he is going to stay down in Rockford for a while to get some PT? Or has Darling taken over that back-up role?

Not sure whether it's worth hanging on to Raanta as a 4th goalie.

At least per the team, sounds like they just sent him down to get some ice time prior to the circus trip. As far as we know, he's going to get brought back up and hasn't been demoted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad