Backup switch in the works? Raanta or Darling

CPHawksFan

That's Hockey Baby!!
Jun 17, 2011
Crown Point, IN
All I know is that I don't think I've seen any of our goalies really let in a cheapie yet all season. Like one of those goals that make you say "how did he not stop that?"

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
we could easily trade Crawford while getting some value back. No Problem there.

the question... why should we?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Its how Crow go his chance, replacing the cup winning Niemi. They seen something in Crow that in their eyes put him as suitable replacement for Niemi, at least when factoring in the cap issues. We find ourselves in a similar situation this coming offseason, having to unload salaries, except this time we have a goalie eating up 6 mil of cap space. Depending on how the cap moves we could trade Crow and keep pretty much everything else. I am not saying we should do this, I can just understand how it would need to be considered.

This injury to Crow could be significant regarding the future. If Raanta and Darling play outstanding and we continue to blow through everybody it just might get Stan thinking. Until the playoffs last season everyone was saying how bad the Crawford contract was and how we would have trouble trading him if we wanted to. Now that he has played well this year everyone has changed their tune. I must admit getting rid of his 6 mil salary, getting a good haul of picks in return, and not losing any of our other key players is something worth thinking about. Of course this is only if we feel one or both of the two guys behind him could replace him suitably.
Except we just couldn't sign Niemi, it's not like he was already signed to a contract and we needed to unload him. It was either him or Hjalmarsson. We don't have that difficult of a decision this year. We can keep Sharp, Seabrook, and every other 5+mil $ player and not have to worry about the cap, completely different set of circumstances. It would make no sense to keep a Bickell, Kruger or Smith instead of keeping our Cup winning goalie. Zero.

Everyone thought Crow was overpaid? Maybe by 500k at most, but only people who thinks it's 1mil+ are clueless as to how much other goalies of lesser caliber are being paid.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I would be shocked in they dealt Crow, But Darling is restricted after this year and Raanta is signed next year for $750. My guess is they could deal one of them for something in the off season or possibly at the deadline. A team that does not have good goaltending depth and has a aging Vet as a starter and would like to get another younger player to possibly splitt time. Also Brennan is restricted and has played really well this year in Rockford. I wonder if Bowman would give him a shot out of training Camp.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Except we just couldn't sign Niemi, it's not like he was already signed to a contract and we needed to unload him. It was either him or Hjalmarsson. We don't have that difficult of a decision this year. We can keep Sharp, Seabrook, and every other 5+mil $ player and not have to worry about the cap, completely different set of circumstances. It would make no sense to keep a Bickell, Kruger or Smith instead of keeping our Cup winning goalie. Zero.

Everyone thought Crow was overpaid? Maybe by 500k at most, but only people who thinks it's 1mil+ are clueless as to how much other goalies of lesser caliber are being paid.

"clueless, imo" would be more appropriate.

That said, granted, Crawford looks like he has taken a step up this season. If his stellar play remains going forward then Hawks management was either lucky, good gamblers or geniuses. Take your pick.

However, to play devil's advocate, didn't I hear a bunch of folks here say this team didn't need great goaltending to win a SC. Wouldn't that same philosophy apply to trading CC, and having Darling/Raanta in there at a fraction of the cost? That would certainly go a long way to retaining our core of skaters, and adhering to the cap rules.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
"clueless, imo" would be more appropriate.

That said, granted, Crawford looks like he has taken a step up this season. If his stellar play remains going forward then Hawks management was either lucky, good gamblers or geniuses. Take your pick.

However, to play devil's advocate, didn't I hear a bunch of folks here say this team didn't need great goaltending to win a SC. Wouldn't that same philosophy apply to trading CC, and having Darling/Raanta in there at a fraction of the cost? That would certainly go a long way to retaining our core of skaters, and adhering to the cap rules.

Not, "imo"..look a what other goalies are making and let me know how Crawford is overpaid compared to them. (Quick doesn't count, because he is on one of those long term dealios)

Crawford is as good as he was in his Rookie season, in 12-13 and 2013-14, maybe even better. There is only 1 down season in his entire career to date (11-12).

This team needs great timely goaltending to win (see Minny and STL series last year) Darling and Raanta haven't proven a thing in the NHL long term in order to justify trading Crawford.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Not, "imo"..look a what other goalies are making and let me know how Crawford is overpaid compared to them. (Quick doesn't count, because he is on one of those long term dealios)

Crawford is as good as he was in his Rookie season, in 12-13 and 2013-14, maybe even better. There is only 1 down season in his entire career to date (11-12).

This team needs great timely goaltending to win (see Minny and STL series last year) Darling and Raanta haven't proven a thing in the NHL long term in order to justify trading Crawford.

No one is saying to trade Crawford, all that is being said is if Raanta and Darling continued to look as good as they have it is something that might be considered. I completely agree Bickell would be our best contract to dump, but who the heck wants his game at 4 mil? If we traded him it would likely be taking someone with salary back or having to pay part of Bickell's salary like the Versteeg trade.

It will depend on where the cap goes to. I would love to keep Kruger and Smith or at least one of them. Will have to see how things play out, it will be interesting!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad