Speculation: Backstrom (To Re-Sign or Not to Re-Sign?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Mays Here*

With Harding's MS problems being even more of a distraction than I thought they would already, I think he does get re-signed, albeit at a much friendlier cap hit of course. I'd go with a Backstrom and whichever of the three rookies earns it tandem. Backstrom in there to mentor the younger guy(s) and provide a steady presence as well.

Really leaning towards buying out or trading Harding.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
As long as it is a reasonable term and cap hit, I would be cool with this.

Personally, I think we need to have at least one vet and one rookie goalie. As much as I like Hards, I don't think it's a good fit, and we need to move on.

We either re-sign Backs, or bring in some other vet goalie, much like what we did with Theo (who I was sad to see go).

The let the two younguns duke it out for our backup position, giving them a game out of every 3 or 4.

Kaptain

WarBortles
Feb 7, 2013
Florida
We're pretty much ****ed without Backs.
So, I hope we re-sign him to a reasonable short-term deal, trade or buyout Harding and roll with Backs and one of the rookies for the forseeable future.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
I don't really see it as much of a problem. If he wants more then 3 mill then I am fine with letting him go since we have great depth. Hackett and Kuemper have all had success in the NHL. Not to mention Gustafson over in Sweden

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I don't really see it as much of a problem. If he wants more then 3 mill then I am fine with letting him go since we have great depth. Hackett and Kuemper have all had success in the NHL. Not to mention Gustafson over in Sweden

I don't think Fletcher would go into next season with two rookies in net...so if Backstrom doesn't sign, I'm sure another veteran would be brought in as a Plan B.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
I think I would go up to 3.5 for Backstrom.

I have no idea what to do with Harding, I would hate to see him bought out for something completely out of his control but I don't see any other option.

If Harding is open to it maybe a buyout and some position in the org, I'm not too sure Harding is ready to hang up the skates yet though.

Kaptain

WarBortles
Feb 7, 2013
Florida
I don't think Fletcher would go into next season with two rookies in net...so if Backstrom doesn't sign, I'm sure another veteran would be brought in as a Plan B.

Yeah. But Backs is by far the best Vet goaltender on the market unless Jimmy Howard somehow hits FA.

Fel 96

JFC
Mar 19, 2010
Little Canada
www.youtube.com
If Backs really loves MIN, he will re-sign for cheap just like what Harding did. (Not saying the exact same contract btw)

If his agent/him want the same amount as his current contract, then goodbye Backs.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i like backs but think hes way overpaid (thx again DR). hopefully backs will agree hes overpaid and take a 3.5 mill x 3 yr deal. thats what i'd offer; if he says heck no then trade him. glad im not the gm for this tuff decision.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
ah, backstrom. yet another thing for me to feel smug about.

2 year $3.5m hit.

1 year $4m hit.

seriously, he's only going to look stronger the more the team gels. He's a much better goalie than Howard, BTW.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
I would say yes and buyout Harding. Sorry but this is a business and as much as we'd love to see his excel.. Hes a MAJOR ?.

And keep Kuemper or some other young gun up here.

Kaptain

WarBortles
Feb 7, 2013
Florida
ah, backstrom. yet another thing for me to feel smug about.

2 year $3.5m hit.

1 year $4m hit.

seriously, he's only going to look stronger the more the team gels. He's a much better goalie than Howard, BTW.

Yeah, Backs looks better every week, as long as Suter doesn't try shots on his own net and Yandle doesn't send dangerous shots off the wall :laugh:

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Under leamaire he had average (at best) defense as a whole but a rock solid system where the forwards focus was on D.

under richards there was horrible D and chaos.

under Yeo we have superior defensemen, and the system is now coming into focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad