NHL Backes suspended three games

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
Pressure and frustration I bet. Lost it
Probably payback for the head shot on Marchand and elbow to Donato that the refs deemed legal hits! I think you are going to see more of this as long as the officials pick and choose what rules they enforce and which teams they choose to penalize .

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
If I'm Brad I go back to being Brad. Keep the other team on edge thinking he can snap at any minute.

The word has been out for a while now and every dirtbag in the NHL knows its open season on Marchand and they can get away with any short of shooting him on the ice.

Protect yourself in any way you need to Brad. Oh and Backes you're an idiot and I wish you would just go away. Looking forward to seeing the equally useless player Noel Acciari take your spot.

I think 63 has been keeping it simple because of all the injuries early in the season and the fact that he wants to play in the WC this time.

I bet he moves the line after the WC.

And I am not condoning Backes' hit or headshots or intents to injure blah blah blah......

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Sounds about right. Sucks for him that he has to miss the WC. No loss on the ice though so, meh

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I still don't understand why Backes did this- he's had concussion issues himself ffs.
I fully believe his intent was go to shoulder-to-shoulder, but he missed. I don’t think he was aiming for the head.

However, he’s got to know not to follow through on that hit unless he’s certain he can do so legally. I agree that as a guy who has been concussed by dirty hits, it should make him extra aware.

I take zero issue with the three games and that’s taking into account his other BS suspension and bogus reputation as a repeat offender. In fact, I think one could make a case for more than three.

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
easily. I do. he has a quick temper, violence, awareness of dangers, history of discipline. three games is a vacation. that's a significantly bad move and no history. this was a significantly bad move from a guy who could get kicked out of anger management, so I was thinking five to seven would have been fair. three wasn't too lenient, but it was generous. I see Backes as, uh... "on bad vectors with concussions and suspensions." I am trying to not lay out an intricate assassination of character on a family man reaching the end of a long career, but I do believe he is both a risk and at risk. he is a serviceable player signed to an absurd contract, but it seems to me to be an obvious case of knowing when to fold them.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I'm fine with that. Just wish the many hits which were equal to or worse than the Backes' hit also received suspension. The inconsistency of DoPS is a downright joke.

sucks when one of ours gets suspended... but sucks more when one of ours gets knocked out of action for 15 games or more due to this crap

suspensions need to get tougher

what I get p!$$#) at is when they don't hit the other guys hard enough

marchand and backes and the rest of our boys need to obey the rules on dirty hits

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Got him in the head and suspension is fine...

The double standards are NHL typical however and a major flaw. Not a peep about NJ.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Cannot argue with this, it was a headshot. Backes is clumsy not dirty, slow reactions but it was not intentional.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Meant to post this in this thread instead of the Backes player discussion.

Honestly, going back and watching the replay like the Zapruder film, I think the hit itself is more bad luck than malicious. He doesn't come in way late, he has his elbow tucked in.

My personal opinion, is that he's coming in to make a hit on a player with the puck. Coleman releases the puck, and is leaning a bit forward. When Backes hits him, he gets him in the head no question about it, but it's with his shoulder/upper arm, not his elbow.

It's definitely a poor hit, and I can understand the suspension, but I don't think there was any malice there whatsoever.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I still don't understand why Backes did this- he's had concussion issues himself ffs.

He went after Blake Coleman after the latter went after Marchand.

To me, this was not an egregious hit, as #42 had his arm tucked tight. If the league says three games, I guess so.

For those who wonder why suspensions are seemingly random & penalties so inconsistent, I'd say there is, indeed, a "star system," in which certain players get a pass & others get nailed. And, as with referees -- and goaltenders, and everyone else -- those who make these decisions are human. They're fallible and they make mistakes.

Give me that over "instant replay" any day.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
easily. I do. he has a quick temper, violence, awareness of dangers, history of discipline. three games is a vacation. that's a significantly bad move and no history. this was a significantly bad move from a guy who could get kicked out of anger management, so I was thinking five to seven would have been fair. three wasn't too lenient, but it was generous. I see Backes as, uh... "on bad vectors with concussions and suspensions." I am trying to not lay out an intricate assassination of character on a family man reaching the end of a long career, but I do believe he is both a risk and at risk. he is a serviceable player signed to an absurd contract, but it seems to me to be an obvious case of knowing when to fold them.
All hockey players should have anger management issues, would make the game much better. This team in particular needs a few guys with anger issues.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I wish we got the dirty player and malicious out of this argument

High sticking used to be... it wasnt malicious... hes not dirty

Now high sticking is... you got to keep your stick down... 4 mins for blood

I dont really care if a player is dirty or not... i dont want bergeron finishing his career at 34 because some clumsy player pancaked his head

Teach these guys to not crunch each others head. I mean they took dirty low hits out of game but not before we lost orr, kluzak, neely

You can get dirty hitting out of the game if you make the penalties stiff enough

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I agree with this. DoPS being their usual inconsistent selves.

It’s not fair, but Backes is a repeat offender, so the 3 games is understandable.

The issue I have is all the hits that go completely unpunished (like the one on Donato) or the ones like Borowiecki on UV. He’s a repeat offender like Backes, but he gets 1 game for knocking a guy out, while Backes gets 3 and the player stays in the game.

Where is the logic and consistency?

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
I wish we got the dirty player and malicious out of this argument

High sticking used to be... it wasnt malicious... hes not dirty

Now high sticking is... you got to keep your stick down... 4 mins for blood

I dont really care if a player is dirty or not... i dont want bergeron finishing his career at 34 because some clumsy player pancaked his head

Teach these guys to not crunch each others head. I mean they took dirty low hits out of game but not before we lost orr, kluzak, neely

You can get dirty hitting out of the game if you make the penalties stiff enough
Take the money Backes loses and give it directly to the victim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad