NHL Backes suspended three games

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
George Parros to me is human feces.Where was he when Corey Perry blindsided Chris Letang ?Yup former team mate so not even a hearing.This League is corrupt.Now on the more stars that go down the more I cheer.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
It’s not fair, but Backes is a repeat offender, so the 3 games is understandable.

The issue I have is all the hits that go completely unpunished (like the one on Donato) or the ones like Borowiecki on UV. He’s a repeat offender like Backes, but he gets 1 game for knocking a guy out, while Backes gets 3 and the player stays in the game.

Where is the logic and consistency?

Repeat means crap.Lots of guys would be repeat if rules applied the same.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
This is just really a bad decision by Backes. He definitely means to clock Coleman hard but misses as he makes some shoulder to shoulder contact (his left elbow is definitely tucked in) and gets Coleman’s head. You can see Backes shift to his left just before making contact and misses with the shoulder

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
George Parros to me is human feces.Where was he when Corey Perry blindsided Chris Letang ?Yup former team mate so not even a hearing.This League is corrupt.Now on the more stars that go down the more I cheer.
I've always been of the belief that a former player in a role like that shouldn't have that position until all players he played with retired.

That being said, the inconsistency of DoPS per usual is yet again an issue. I have ZERO issue with Backes missing a game for that hit. But 3 games? Because of a bogus nonsense suspension last year is unfair to the player.

I get that they are trying to take these kind of hits out of the game, as they should, but they seemingly pick and choose what hits to review. The forearm/crosscheck Donato took the the face that led to I believe the 3rd NJ goal was just as egregious, but not a peep from anyone on that one, just a "hockey play" (hint: it's not).

All fans and teams what is consistency. Parros has shown time and time again that he is incapable of doing that.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
This is just really a bad decision by Backes. He definitely means to clock Coleman hard but misses as he makes some shoulder to shoulder contact (his left elbow is definitely tucked in) and gets Coleman’s head. You can see Backes shift to his left just before making contact and misses with the shoulder

I haven’t gone back and looked in slo mo at the hit, but I agree, and felt when I was watching the game, that he definitely did shift his body and look with his eyes at the opposing players head. To me, it was definitely intentional and you could see that he knew he effed up within a millisecond of doing it. I’m not here to crucify him for it, but just a momentary lapse of judgment.

If I’m him, I’m not even remotely thinking of laying that kind of hit, at that point in the game, with my own history of concussions. Just a bad move.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
It’s not fair, but Backes is a repeat offender, so the 3 games is understandable.

The issue I have is all the hits that go completely unpunished (like the one on Donato) or the ones like Borowiecki on UV. He’s a repeat offender like Backes, but he gets 1 game for knocking a guy out, while Backes gets 3 and the player stays in the game.

Where is the logic and consistency?

Parros may have a degree but he is not qualified. The NHL has been striking out for many years in that position.

Reactions: TCB

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I haven’t gone back and looked in slo mo at the hit, but I agree, and felt when I was watching the game, that he definitely did shift his body and look with his eyes at the opposing players head. To me, it was definitely intentional and you could see that he knew he effed up within a millisecond of doing it. I’m not here to crucify him for it, but just a momentary lapse of judgment.

That’s pretty much what I thought at the time too. Only I thought he caught him with an elbow which would have been much dirtier than what actually happened.

Good summary

Reactions: LSCII

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Parros may have a degree but he is not qualified. The NHL has been striking out for many years in that position.

It’s really puzzling that the NHL has had, what 3 former players in Shanahan, Quintal and now Parros over the past 5 years who have pretty much done the same exact thing.

The consistency is the inconsistency which tells me that there definitely is bias (although Boroweicki getting only a game for the Vaakanainen hit is really a head scratcher)

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
It’s really puzzling that the NHL has had, what 3 former players in Shanahan, Quintal and now Parros over the past 5 years who have pretty much done the same exact thing.

The consistency is the inconsistency which tells me that there definitely is bias (although Boroweicki getting only a game for the Vaakanainen hit is really a head scratcher)

Pronger was involved too shortly I believe.

That role needs to go to the VICTIMS of dirty play. They're the ones more likely to crack down on it. I bet Steve Ott or Torres are next.

Reactions: Chief Nine

markwart

Jan 27, 2006
I have been watching the Bruins for over 40 years. I have watched them when they were good and watched them when they have been pretty bad. Unfortunately, these last few years have gotten to the point where I am starting to turn the channel and stop watching. I try to keep an unbiased view of every game I watch but to me, there seems to be something wrong with the league officiating in game and via player safety. From my view, I have seen nothing but blatant bias against the Bruins. The league has made it abundantly clear that it is open season on any and all Bruins players. Hits to the head on Bruins players, no calls, blind side hits, no calls. Blatant high sticks, no calls. But it always appears that the Bruins are under a microscope. If there is even the slightest hint of a stick getting close to another player's head, all the opposing player need do is flip his head and there is a call, contact or not. I see interference, hooking and tripping go uncalled on Bruins players but always called against them. I see free punches to the face on Bruins players uncalled all the time but see a Bruin so much as push a player after the whistle and they are in the box. I have seen numerous goals called back against the Bruins that replay shows were actually goals. I have seen goals that were goaltender interference called goals against the Bruins but never the other way around. They seem to always call no goal when it is a Bruins goal. This brand of hockey is very frustrating to watch and I find myself not willing to do it anymore. Also, is it me or is this Bruins team just plain weak or what? They don't hit, they get pushed around all the time and there is never any physical push back. Just my opinion.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`ve said before it always disturbed me watching players who have suffered head injuries apply those same kind of hits against an opponent so can`t change my tune now because it involves a Bruin. He got what he deserved

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Pronger was involved too shortly I believe.

That role needs to go to the VICTIMS of dirty play. They're the ones more likely to crack down on it. I bet Steve Ott or Torres are next.

Yes, Pronger was in there before Quintal I believe. Either way it seems it doesn’t matter who’s the face of DoPS, the suspensions, number of games and overall decision making have been maddening

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I have been watching the Bruins for over 40 years. I have watched them when they were good and watched them when they have been pretty bad. Unfortunately, these last few years have gotten to the point where I am starting to turn the channel and stop watching. I try to keep an unbiased view of every game I watch but to me, there seems to be something wrong with the league officiating in game and via player safety. From my view, I have seen nothing but blatant bias against the Bruins. The league has made it abundantly clear that it is open season on any and all Bruins players. Hits to the head on Bruins players, no calls, blind side hits, no calls. Blatant high sticks, no calls. But it always appears that the Bruins are under a microscope. If there is even the slightest hint of a stick getting close to another player's head, all the opposing player need do is flip his head and there is a call, contact or not. I see interference, hooking and tripping go uncalled on Bruins players but always called against them. I see free punches to the face on Bruins players uncalled all the time but see a Bruin so much as push a player after the whistle and they are in the box. I have seen numerous goals called back against the Bruins that replay shows were actually goals. I have seen goals that were goaltender interference called goals against the Bruins but never the other way around. They seem to always call no goal when it is a Bruins goal. This brand of hockey is very frustrating to watch and I find myself not willing to do it anymore. Also, is it me or is this Bruins team just plain weak or what? They don't hit, they get pushed around all the time and there is never any physical push back. Just my opinion.

100%.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Been watching some of the last game for various reasons and got to the hit straight to Donato's head. That hit was intentional and dirty, and in my estimation worse than what Backes did. Donato didn't even have the puck. Ref saw it and didn't even call so much as interference. f*** you NHL! And even more at this point -- f*** you Bruin's front office for letting your players continue to get treated with a different standard while not calling them out. It's dangerous. It's cowardly. It's not working.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Parros first reaction when offered the job.

maxresdefault.jpg

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
I`ve said before it always disturbed me watching players who have suffered head injuries apply those same kind of hits against an opponent so can`t change my tune now because it involves a Bruin. He got what he deserved

Agreed. Whether he intended to or not, it was a clear hit to the head and he deserves to sit as a result. Doesn’t matter the crest on his sweater. Now the Noesmen elbow... why is the DoPS ignoring that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad