Management Back To The Future post deadline edition

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
hopefully DS can turn Koko, Ferlin, hayes into some picks at the draft or trade for another serviceable winger for the left side on the 2nd or 3rd line.

Ferlin?? Guys had a concussion practically all year. Oh yeah, he'll draw tons of interest. Teams will throw draft picks at the Bruins for him:sarcasm:

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
You're way of thinking is......interesting.:amazed:

I'm just saying based on the quick blog article that Loui's not likely going to go to CHI or TB or WASH (contenders) for a 6x6 deal is all. he won't be able to have his cake and eat it to, he'll certainly get a good deal but he may have to make some changes on his desired location.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm just saying based on the quick blog article that Loui's not likely going to go to CHI or TB or WASH (contenders) for a 6x6 deal is all. he won't be able to have his cake and eat it to, he'll certainly get a good deal but he may have to make some changes on his desired location.

Those teams won't be able to afford him long term if he was traded this past week Boston could have retained salary if needed

Loui will likely get $6 per if he doesn't Boston may be an option

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
If the Bruins had offered Stempniak a contract last fall, I guarantee HF Boards would have exploded with furious cries of "why are they signing a washed-up veteran?"

And if he performs like Jagr did down the stretch when we acquired him, we might still hear those sentiments.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If Loui get's to July 1st, would anyone be oppose to seeing what it would take to sign Okposo instead of Loui.

Natural RW, 3 years younger, plays a harder game.

I don't think the Bruins have money for either if they want to bring in a top D-man and extend Spooner and Pasta for 2017-18, AND give Marchand his well-deserved raise, but IF they are going to spend 5-6 million per on a winger long-term, I'd be more comfortable spending in on Okposo than Eriksson, if just for the age difference alone.

Marchand - Bergeron - Okposo
Belesky - Krejci - Pastrnak
Vatrano - Spooner - Hayes/Connolly

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Frank Cannon could not carry Barnaby Jones jock.

I used to be worried he would die of a heart attack on the show not realizing it was taped. :shakehead

My favorite detective was Stephanie Zimberlist or however you spell it. No one could solve a problem like her.

The correct answer is Columbo.

Now back to our regularly scheduled ***** fest.

McGarrett. 5-0. Book 'im, Danno.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
I realize it's only one game, and I realize that the Hawks are coming in after a game last night, but it's hard for me to comprehend the massive criticism that Sweeney is getting from some here.
-He's saved the Bruins from cap hell (Chiarelli would have already had Loui signed by now...for 6 years/$48 million...with a full NTC...but signed none the less).
-He's put together a team that's competitive most nights, and is 3rd in the league in offense. They're flawed for sure, but they can score.
-They're likely bound for the playoffs...something I thought was totally inconceivable coming into this year.
-Barring trades, they're likely going to have infused their pipeline with 9 prospects picked in the 1st and 2nd rounds in a single calendar year...that's crazy to me.

What are we whining about exactly? I'm not ready to fuel up the Duck Boats quite yet, but he's done enough positives up to this point to earn some rope with which to hang himself with in my opinion.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
I realize it's only one game, and I realize that the Hawks are coming in after a game last night, but it's hard for me to comprehend the massive criticism that Sweeney is getting from some here.
-He's saved the Bruins from cap hell (Chiarelli would have already had Loui signed by now...for 6 years/$48 million...with a full NTC...but signed none the less).
-He's put together a team that's competitive most nights, and is 3rd in the league in offense. They're flawed for sure, but they can score.
-They're likely bound for the playoffs...something I thought was totally inconceivable coming into this year.
-Barring trades, they're likely going to have infused their pipeline with 9 prospects picked in the 1st and 2nd rounds in a single calendar year...that's crazy to me.

What are we whining about exactly? I'm not ready to fuel up the Duck Boats quite yet, but he's done enough positives up to this point to earn some rope with which to hang himself with in my opinion.

Agreed. I feel this place has been like attending a funeral for the past couple of weeks. I don't get it. I don't understand what some were expecting to happen this year to have so much angst and anger over what is actually happening - which for me, is actually a lot better than I thought we would be this year. They are right now where I was hoping they'd be able to get back to by next year (playoff team, but likely out after 1 or 2 rounds) after the essential tear down of our team. They're a season ahead of schedule as far as I'm concerned.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Agreed. I feel this place has been like attending a funeral for the past couple of weeks. I don't get it. I don't understand what some were expecting to happen this year to have so much angst and anger over what is actually happening - which for me, is actually a lot better than I thought we would be this year. They are right now where I was hoping they'd be able to get back to by next year (playoff team, but likely out after 1 or 2 rounds) after the essential tear down of our team. They're a season ahead of schedule as far as I'm concerned.

Personally I am pleased with the Bruins season to date and it has been a bit better than what I expected and I think they are fairly well set up for the future to, in part to moves made over the summer. I don't however attribute this season success much to the moves they made recently, they are mixed: Belesky a pretty good signing, Hayes trade a dud, etc, the primary reason they are better this year is because veterans who have been here for many years are having a much better season than last: Chara, Seids, Krejci, Marchand, Bergeron has found a way to be even better. It takes several years to accurately evaluate a gm's work.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I see this is as an ok B- team that has a bright future and soon. What is surprising is their down turn retooling years will be 95+ point seasons. That is rare

I still think they get knocked out in the first but are decent enough to pull a stunner or more likely lose with dignity

Liles & Stempniak are gifts from the Gods to Claude. His heart must have been racing knowing Liles over Trotman/Morrow and Stempniak over Rinaldo/Kemp

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I see this is as an ok B- team that has a bright future and soon. What is surprising is their down turn retooling years will be 95+ point seasons. That is rare

I still think they get knocked out in the first but are decent enough to pull a stunner or more likely lose with dignity

Liles & Stempniak are gifts from the Gods to Claude. His heart must have been racing knowing Liles over Trotman/Morrow and Stempniak over Rinaldo/Kemp

I am SHOCKED at how many goals they are scoring.

Their d will come around, especially with the coach they have. But wow, lots of goals.

Wile E1

Feb 27, 2002
cartoon exile
Visit site
If Loui get's to July 1st, would anyone be oppose to seeing what it would take to sign Okposo instead of Loui.

I'm not necessarily opposed, but I'm not sure that Okposo's game is any 'harder' than Loui's. Okposo has been inconsistent and frustrates a lot of NYI fans (and poolies :help:) because he is supposed to be a power forward but he doesn't always play like one. He shows flashes but then reverts to a mostly soft perimeter finesse game.

Loui, on the other hand, isn't afraid of the high traffic areas and plays very well along the boards - he's responsible defensively and you know exactly what you are getting, in our system. I think Okposo would be a higher risk use of the money so I'd have to be pretty sure that I'm getting a higher reward.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I am SHOCKED at how many goals they are scoring.

Their d will come around, especially with the coach they have. But wow, lots of goals.

They have 3 offensive centers so they are thinking about offense and not get back and apply back pressure

They got a lot of offensive wingers coming along like Pasta, Frank the Flash Vatrano, Sensyshyn.

DeBrusk got 40 last year and Gabrielle could get his 40th tonight. Heinen has real good offensive skills and instincts

Oh and Marchand will have 40 goal scorer on his resume right above 'rat'

I'm buying a lounge chair for the parade

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I think Neely was pretty frank with Felger & Mass yesterday. They didn't get the offers they were expecting on Loui, and they weren't giving him away for nothing. That makes total sense. If Stemp & Liles play like they did last night down the stretch, then I think we are in fine shape.

The rumor here was that they were fairly close on Shattenkirk, I know Dom eluded to taking salary back. Seems like something we could revisit in the off-season. If they wanted Loui long term in St. Louis, his rights might be worth something to them. Maybe something around Krug, Koko, and Loui's rights for Shattenkirk and Berglund. We'd be taking back 3.7 million in salary for them, but only for the one season.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you

Good post DKH. The way Sweeney restocked last year and with the way the prospects are layered age-wise, I don't think our actual "re-build" starts for another couple years. In the mean time, we have one hell of a core group and I'm excited as a fan that management is going to make an effort to utilize that core in their prime. Try and have our cake and eat it to.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Oh and Marchand will have 40 goal scorer on his resume right above 'rat'

The fact Marchy may be an actual 40 goal scorer before Phil "The 40 Goal Scoring Thrill" Kessel warms the cockles of my heart. :nod:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Okay, so it was two seconds. The way I heard it, I thought Cam said a single second round draft pick, which would certainly qualify as a red flag.

Neely also said JJ had not "ordered" (my word) mngmt to make the playoffs.

No I'm sure he didn't. He probably "strongly suggested" it though :sarcasm:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

I don't think the Bruins have money for either if they want to bring in a top D-man and extend Spooner and Pasta for 2017-18, AND give Marchand his well-deserved raise, but IF they are going to spend 5-6 million per on a winger long-term, I'd be more comfortable spending in on Okposo than Eriksson, if just for the age difference alone.

Marchand - Bergeron - Okposo
Belesky - Krejci - Pastrnak
Vatrano - Spooner - Hayes/Connolly

I've seen a lot of both and Loui is by far the "tougher" player IMO. I do agree with the I'd take Kyle over Loui right now though, but only because of age.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Assuming that Stempniak plays well with Bergeron and Marchand, I might be alright if they sign him for half what it costs to sign Loui or Okposo. He isn't much older than Loui, and plays a little heavier.

Then Trade Eriksson's rights for something

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I know it is only 2 games, but the Defence looks somewhat stabilized with Liles, as much as that surprised me. Wondering what he impact would be if Chudinov is also added before the playoffs.

If 4 of our defensemen are completely disabled, he could be a factor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad