Pre-Game Talk: Back to Back: Ottawa/Colorado in SWEDEN (Friday afternoon & Saturday afternoon games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I dunno where to ask this...

Borowiecki is out with "personal health issues"...that's not normal physical health issue lingo.

Anyone know what's going on? I heard someone say that he was dealing with anxiety issues? Just a little concerned, that's all.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I dunno where to ask this...

Borowiecki is out with "personal health issues"...that's not normal physical health issue lingo.

Anyone know what's going on? I heard someone say that he was dealing with anxiety issues? Just a little concerned, that's all.

I saw Dean Brown reply to someone on twitter asking the same thing saying they were assured it wasn't anything serious.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Its tough knowing other games have been on TV these past few nights, but no SENS... :(

Worst part is, it's gonna be the same next week! :mad:

sens O.jpg

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Just thinking out of the blue here....but if the NHL wants to do something like this, why not set aside a two week window where ALL NHL teams play two games on the other side of the planet? Have a few games in China, Australia, South Korea, Sweden, Finland, England, etc...

That way the NHL can turn this into a major international event, and it evens out the schedule for all teams.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Maybe Boro went to see Dr.Weiss. That sounds like personal medical reasons.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Just thinking out of the blue here....but if the NHL wants to do something like this, why not set aside a two week window where ALL NHL teams play two games on the other side of the planet? Have a few games in China, Australia, South Korea, Sweden, Finland, England, etc...

That way the NHL can turn this into a major international event, and it evens out the schedule for all teams.

While that would be really cool to see, it's almost a certainty that some of those games would fail to turn a profit financially and the owners would sour on the venture.

Say they went to 6 countries around the world over a 2 week stretch with 12 teams going. Personally I don't think there are 12 teams in the league that are marketable enough in certain countries. The NHL themselves don't think there are that many teams that are marketable in the US, as we've seen time and time again with Chicago playing in what seems like every winter classic.

Sweden and Finland are easy enough because they have stars in the league and hockey is a part of sports culture, but there are many more obstacles in other countries. I thought the NHL did a decent job with the preseason games in China with LA and Vancouver, but as they were preseason games, both teams loaded up with fringe veterans to fill the quota laid out by the NHL, partly to avoid injuries to key players. It was also to test the waters again in Asia because the NHL's first venture to Asia was a disaster (it took them 17 years after playing games in Saitama, Japan to return to Asia).

The NHL hasn't been to London since 93 (they had Boston go to Belfast in Ireland in 2010). Australia would be an interesting case as Nathan Walker is in the league now. However, it all again leads back to there would be backlash by certain teams that would say the venture is a strain on an already difficult season and the financial incentive is not large enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad