Pre-Game Talk: Back to Back: Ottawa/Colorado in SWEDEN (Friday afternoon & Saturday afternoon games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not sure if this has already been posted or not, but looks like Paul might actually see some ice in Sweden;

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If we can come back and not be too far behind in point totals we'll be in great shape. It's great when your team is in the hunt near the top on points with a bunch of games in hand.

I would suggest that you don't focus on "points" in the standings, when you're comparing teams that have played a different amount of games during the season ....... it's just an accurate ranking of each teams record in realtionship to other teams.

If you go to the NHL.com webite (stats - teams) and look at Points Percentage, it compared teams based on their records, to date, regardless of the number of games played.

For example, the Blue Team that play in the ACC now has more points (18) than Ottawa currently has (17) However Ottawa' record (P%) is 0.607, ninth overall in the NHL vs the Leafs (P%) is only 0.563, eighteenth overall in the NHL.

The NHL uses the points system, 2 for a win, 1 for an overtime or shootout loss, to give the appearance that lower ranked teams (in the points standings) might tactfully have a shot of catching team ahead of them in the points standings, as the season winds down. This helps drive ticket sales.

The NHL is the only Major Sports league in Canada & the States that uses this system, all other leagues use Winning percentage to rank their teams during the season, so that's why I tell people to click on the P% to see the standing, based on a teams performance, regardless of the number of games they've played.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20172018&seasonTo=20172018&sort=pointPctg

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The NHL can go suck a big fat one.

6 day break while watching other Atlantic teams pick up points. Then another 5 day break.

These should have been preseason games.

My interest in this league is decreasing year by year.

Don't worry, all teams end up playing the same number of games in the regular season. Don't get sidetracked with the points standings as I pointed out in my earlier post, look at the teams' record to date AKA points percentage, and calm down.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
The NHL can go suck a big fat one.

6 day break while watching other Atlantic teams pick up points. Then another 5 day break.

These should have been preseason games.

My interest in this league is decreasing year by year.
Karlsson gets time to heal up though.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
The loser point is still a loss.

Not as per NHL.com. It shows the SENS only have 3 loses, and this explains why they are near the top of the standings. Of course this will change as teams play more games, and they have to play catchup/ketchup!

SoA said it best....
I prefer to look at it like 6 wins, 3 losses, 5 ties

Mere days t0 g0 F0lks....... :popcorn:

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
We need 3 out of 4 points here.

Atlantic is tightening up.

But with the flu, injuries, etc. that we currently have, I can think of worse times to have a break in the season.

Exactly, I think the break is good, gives more time for players like Ryan/White to heal and potentially join the roster without missing games (as well as let those who are sick get better).

Reactions: bert

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
We need 3 out of 4 points here.

Atlantic is tightening up.
One great benefit of having made the trade now is that Duchene is subtracted from Colorado right before our two games (for us, it's a more minor change from Turris to Duchene, which is either lateral or an improvement, depending on what people think). Winning both games would be a great side benefit of the trade.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
One great benefit of having made the trade now is that Duchene is subtracted from Colorado right before our two games (for us, it's a more minor change from Turris to Duchene, which is either lateral or an improvement, depending on what people think). Winning both games would be a great side benefit of the trade.

Watch Dorion trade for a player off of every team we play going forward, mere days before the game.

cut.jpg

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
I hope Hoff and Duche light it up , Ryan goes back with Brass and Stone; and I would try Dzingel with Hoff and Duche... Smith Pageau Pyatt should be a very good 3rd line

Hoff - Duch - Dzingle would probably be the fastest line in the nhl.

Im so excited to see how he gels. Sucks we have to wait so long to see :p

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hoff - Duch - Dzingle would probably be the fastest line in the nhl.

Im so excited to see how he gels. Sucks we have to wait so long to see :p

Definitely up there.

Wonder what we'll see in terms of combos once we're healthy;

Here's what I'm hoping to see when Ryan returns

Hoffman-Duchene-Dzingel (speed)
Ryan-Brassard-Stone (smarts)
Smith-Pageau-Didomenico (shutdown 1)
Pyatt-Thompson-Burrows (shutdown 2)

I think that setup gives each line enough that Boucher will trust them against any other teams line.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
Definitely up there.

I think that setup gives each line enough that Boucher will trust them against any other teams line.

I really like those lines. You can be sure that shutdown 1 will be putting up decent points too.

Once you add in Chabot White and maybe Brown and Jaros we will be looking real good next year.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
We need Ryan to reignite Brassard who was really elite with Ryan and Stone before Ryan got hurt

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Definitely up there.

Would love to see White replace Dido on that 3rd line when ready

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad