Post-Game Talk: Baby Habs vs. Baby Sens @ noon (Slaf & Guhle Will Play) (Game link in post #1)

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
If Slaf pans out, Montreal might not ever have a top 5 player, but the 1st line would be the best in the league imo.

I'd say they ruled out Liiga because having him in North America gives Montreal far greater control over his season, NHL or lesser.
This ‘greater control’ argument is strange. Many successful NHLers developed in college or CHL or elsewhere after being drafted, it is in the best interest of the players’ team and right’s owner to put them in a position to succeed and help achieve team success. The implication that a Liiga team would hamper his development is one I’ve seen a lot here but can’t understand.

The Habs pretty much declared that he’s going to play in Montréal or Laval so let’s see.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
This ‘greater control’ argument is strange. Many successful NHLers developed in college or CHL or elsewhere after being drafted, it is in the best interest of the players’ team and right’s owner to put them in a position to succeed and help achieve team success. The implication that a Liiga team would hamper his development is one I’ve seen a lot here but can’t understand.

The Habs pretty much declared that he’s going to play in Montréal or Laval so let’s see.
I'd argue that the Laval team might be a great place for Slaf to develop if he's not good enough the NHL. Laval is most likely going to be a good team again, so top 6 minutes on that team for a year will likely help a lot.

Reactions: Tyson and ReHabs

blueberry

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
One can make a case for all scenarios. The AHL might be too much for Slaf. We'll know better after training camp. If he went the OHL route he'd still be playing with older guys after all he's big but he's still an 18 year old kid. The gap between ages isn't as great there and it might be a more comfortable environment. See how he develops amongst his peers. If he fails in the AHL it might ruin him like it did to Poehling. Let's take it step by step with him. If he proves too good then bump him up a level. Let's face it none of us really know how he's going to work out. Then again I hope he blows it away in training camp and then we don't have to worry about it.
Sorry for rambling , it's late.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
One can make a case for all scenarios. The AHL might be too much for Slaf. We'll know better after training camp. If he went the OHL route he'd still be playing with older guys after all he's big but he's still an 18 year old kid. The gap between ages isn't as great there and it might be a more comfortable environment. See how he develops amongst his peers. If he fails in the AHL it might ruin him like it did to Poehling. Let's take it step by step with him. If he proves too good then bump him up a level. Let's face it none of us really know how he's going to work out. Then again I hope he blows it away in training camp and then we don't have to worry about it.
He’s already played in Liiga, going to the OHL doesn’t make much sense unless the intention was to see him dominate (or see if he can dominate). Being so much more physically gifted, I don’t think playing in juniors would make him further develop his hockey sense or have him lean less on his physical gifts.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sens fans bitching and moaning that Arber was a menace is sweet. They wish they had a Xhekaj.
Ha ha, Mapper has no filter and tells it like it is:

He’s saying that after the boarding call to Jackeye, the latter received insults from the Sens’ bench, including their coach, as he was headed to the box.

Mapper added that Jackeye didn’t give two f***s. :laugh:

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
If Slaf pans out he will really be a special player. I’d like for the Habs to be conservative and cautious in how they develop him (so: no Sink or Swim, trial by fire shit). I’d like to see him dominate his league before jumping a level.

It’s a bit concerning to feel that the Habs have ruled out a return to Liiga because he’s definitely not too good for Liiga right now. Maybe being under MSL’s tutelage is good or maybe figuring it out in the AHL is preferred. It’ll be fascinating to see how he gets on in the pro training camp. Can he keep up with Hoffman and Monahan and the like? His hockey IQ will be immediately quantifiable (so to speak!!) when he’s playing with NHLers.
I think they want to avoid Liiga because TPS coaches are dinosaurs. Slaf played his best hockey under Ramsay in an offense focused team, not in TPS with their defensive grind system.

It's also why I'm not a fan of sending him down to Houle in the AHL. He's another dinosaur, basically Julien Jr with how he favors vets over young talent. He said the prospects will have to fight the AHLer vets for their ice time a few days ago and we all know what that means: playing risk-free hockey.

Reactions: SlafySZN

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I think they want to avoid Liiga because TPS coaches are dinosaurs. Slaf played his best hockey under Ramsay in an offense focused team, not in TPS with their defensive grind system.

It's also why I'm not a fan of sending him down to Houle in the AHL. He's another dinosaur, basically Julien Jr with how he favors vets over young talent. He said the prospects will have to fight the AHLer vets for their ice time a few days ago and we all know what that means: playing risk-free hockey.

B00D693E-3754-48BE-99EA-A0C7081ED348.gif

I hope Houle is the next out if he really said this because i don’t think HuGo will be ok with this way of thinking.

Slafkovsky is already good in details and little things majority of the kids his age are not yet. He has to get the freedom to play offensively and develop his offensive game and be able
to use creativity.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
View attachment 586063

I hope Houle is the next out if he really said this because i don’t think HuGo will be ok with this way of thinking.

Slafkovsky is already good in details and little things majority of the kids his age are not yet. He has to get the freedom to play offensively and develop his offensive game and be able
to use creativity.

Houle is getting the speech.

This is the system.
This is the development plan for the players in the AHL/ECHL.
These are the things we will work on in practice.
These are the opportunities these players need to get.

If you aren't going to follow these items, you won't make it out the year.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Houle is getting the speech.

This is the system.
This is the development plan for the players in the AHL/ECHL.
These are the things we will work on in practice.
These are the opportunities these players need to get.

If you aren't going to follow these items, you won't make it out the year.
Or ... he won't get any speech.

He's just going to get Ducharmed and he won't even know what hit him.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

That is what you want, though. You don't want to hand it to them. If they are the real deal, they will outwork those AHL vets and earn those higher spots.

This is why RHP and Ylonen went from bottom line players in Laval to being on the top line. This is how you get Evans starting out at 4C in Laval and working his way to becoming their 1C.

The prospects are more talented. But if they don't put in the work, they won't deserve to play ahead of AHL vets.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Anywhere else (college,CHL etc) the NHL team has some control of the players development. They can tell the coach what position they want the player to play etc.

durojean

May 29, 2007
Why not until he's 25? call him up in 4-5 years, not until he has 100 points in the AHL.
No, but this year, we have way too much forward. Why rush him ? Let him develop, adapt and make his mistake in a lower level.

At 20 or 21, he'll be more ready and have gained a lot of experience. It will make his 1st contract matter more and we will gain a lot of year on his complete autonomy.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Good thing we were missing 5 of our top 11 as well.

That wasn't meant as a comparison at all (my fault as I should have prefaced considering how defensive people can be), I didn't mention the Habs or anything. The point was entirely about the Sens lineup which was really bad and it resulted in very poor hockey. In fact, there's not much left after the top-11 outside of Crookshank/Lodin and a few guys worth keeping track of. The Habs on the other hand have restocked pretty nicely already and now have a lot of depth. If only people could know before "judging" someone's post (like a few did already and the fact that your post received 12 likes), I actually praised Gorton very recently (1 month ago) :

Yes they need a lot more pieces still but they literally started their rebuild a few months ago. What I don't like as a rival is that they have already accumulated a lot of draft capital and a lot of quality prospects too. Keep in mind, they didn't have prime assets like Karlsson, Duchene and Stone for trade

...their prospect pool looks like ours 3-4 years into the rebuild...

Asset management is crucial. Considering their best assets FT have been Lehkonen, Toffoli and Ben freaking Chiarot, this is highly impressive

Last edited:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Why are people so sensitive about criticism on Slafkovsky? If we're going to praise guys like Beck/Mesar for impressing, it only makes sense to react for less impressive play. It's not final judgement.

I don't want to just read about fluff, that everyone is doing great in their own way, everything is great, etc. For me when actual good play happens, it wouldn't get the attention it deserves.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReHabs

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Why are people so sensitive about criticism on Slafkovsky? If we're going to praise guys like Beck/Mesar for impressing, it only makes sense to react for less impressive play. It's not final judgement.
There’s no good or bad to judge any of them on. Rookie camp is beyond meaningless.

Reactions: Wats

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I know that a hockey team isn't charity. Yet, seeing Simoneau and Tourigny play tells me that we still have 3 teams to fill out. And might as well fill it out with those types of talent. You can't have 20 Simoneau....but you can have a couple. And if he never makes it to the NHL, he'll make it somewhere and be good at it. I'm a sucker for those kinds of feel good stories...

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I don't want to just read about fluff, that everyone is doing great in their own way, everything is great, etc. For me when actual good play happens, it wouldn't get the attention it deserves.

Slafkovsky made many good reads and passes in yesterday's game.. so it's fine to give some criticism, but it seems like the criticism was he didn't dominate relative to people's expectations of a 1st overall, rather than credibly dissecting his play.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Has there been a player in NHL history that has been ruined by being sent to the AHL? I doubt it, and if they were they were never going to make it anyways or were a headcase.

PS. This forum is terrible without a adblocker and I had a horrific time trying to reply in this thread, had to go back or refresh at least 6 times, kept logging me out when I clicked on the last page in this thread. Brutal.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Have AHL coaches ever been fired mid season?
Can’t remember seeing it happen. Replacements usually happen in the off season when better potential candidates are available.

Unless Gorton knows of another HOF player coaching peewee level players and …

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Has there been a player in NHL history that has been ruined by being sent to the AHL? I doubt it, and if they were they were never going to make it anyways or were a headcase.

PS. This forum is terrible without a adblocker and I had a horrific time trying to reply in this thread, had to go back or refresh at least 6 times, kept logging me out when I clicked on the last page in this thread. Brutal.
Leblanc

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Most of these were never coached st the pro level. They’re raw. Most of them. So on se calme les tits.

Today was a show of pure talent. Raw talent.

And didn’t see the game. But what 20 showed me the first game was enough. He’s going to be potent. Type of player that will be coveted when UFA season comes around. Type of player you win cups with. Once he understands the pro game, he’ll be potent. He’s got all the attributes.

Habs camp, MAYBE 8-10 games and then Laval. Until he learns to play 2 sides of the ice and understands what is asked of him. Right now, he’s like a basketball player at a showcase that wants to dunk at all costs. Because it flashes. Then he gets drafted and learns to play pro.

Like @Goldenhands mentioned, on se calme. This is not KK. He’s way past that. He needs to understand the pro game on small ice, as well as the pace.

Yeah/I'm/expecting/him/to/become/one/of/the/four/horsemen/a/team/needs/to/win/cups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad