Babcock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bps21*

I think it's between Buffalo and Detroit.

I do too.

It's not completely random that Buffalo is the place he spent the day with ownership and management being shown around before he left for the World Championships. I don't even know who I'd put third.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
I hope he goes to Buffalo. They deserve a good coach. I'm not a fan of Ruff at all and Nolan is a filler type coach at this time in his career. I want to see them get back in the playoffs.

Aceonfire*

Which one of you edited his wiki page? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Born April 29, 1963 (age 52)
Manitouwadge, Ontario
Current team Toronto Maple Leafs
Previous team(s) Detroit Red Wings, Anaheim Ducks
Stanley Cup wins 2008
Years as a coach 1991–present
Years as an NHL coach 2002–present
Years with current team 2015–present

Wishful thinking.

And Babs considers his hometown Saskatoon.

Bps21*

I hope he goes to Buffalo. They deserve a good coach. I'm not a fan of Ruff at all and Nolan is a filler type coach at this time in his career. I want to see them get back in the playoffs.

You know what's crazy? This is legitimately the first coaching search Buffalo has done in 18 years. ... Ironically the last time was after Nolan was the coach too lol.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

Has Babcock ever coached a really young up and coming team? I'm not sure he would be the best fit as he would want to be competitive almost instantly which would be nearly impossible unless we have the off season of a lifetime.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
Has Babcock ever coached a really young up and coming team? I'm not sure he would be the best fit as he would want to be competitive almost instantly which would be nearly impossible unless we have the off season of a lifetime.

Babcock is a smart man and I believe he will adapt to whichever team he chooses. If it's a young team that needs work I'm certain he'd understand how to prepare for that. Even if it's not playoffs instantly. He's had enough experience at all levels and ages.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Im not sure if Anaheim counts, I dont really remember that team.

But other than Anaheim no, This detroit team isnt that young and up coming team until Dats or Z is gone.

And no he isnt suited for Up and coming teams, Unless they are right there to becoming Elite (Like Florida?) or Teams that are stacked STL... NYR... San Jose maybe

He would be a average to above average on a team full of Jakub Kindl's and Brendan Smiths (aka Edmonton)

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
If a team was given permission to talk to him before his contract was up, and signs him after his contract is finished, do they still lose a 3rd?

Good Question, I want to know

Id assume yes, Just because they talked to him before his contract was up.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
If a team was given permission to talk to him before his contract was up, and signs him after his contract is finished, do they still lose a 3rd?
Holland made them sign an agreement. In exchange for being able to talk to Babcock early, they agreed to the compensation scheme. If the whole thing happens before the contract is finished, there's no reason to have any sort of agreement, because the 3rd rounder thing is just a league-wide rule now. So it stands to reason that the agreement handles the situation where Babcock is signed after the contract expires, since the Wings would normally not get any compensation at all.

But if Babcock signs with a team that didn't request permission AND his contract is up when it happens, I don't think they owe the Wings anything at all.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
He was born in northern Ontario and grew up a leafs fan. While yes, that makes "hometown" rather a stretch, Ontario is leaf country. Before 1970 anything west of the Ottawa River was leaf country.

Speaking of the Leafs...Since Don Cherry likes Ted Nolan so much he should pull some Ontario stings and get him coaching the Leafs :laugh:

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
Which one of you edited his wiki page? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Wishful thinking.

And Babs considers his hometown Saskatoon.

Yet even with McDavid and company it doesn't look like he's going to Edmonton. I guess he's only interested in visiting the prairies at this point, not living there.

Aceonfire*

Yet even with McDavid and company it doesn't look like he's going to Edmonton. I guess he's only interested in visiting the prairies at this point, not living there.

:laugh:

What is your point? The Oilers haven't even asked for permission to speak with him. They clearly want McLellan. They asked for permission like a few days after he parted ways with the Sharks.

And FYI. Every summer he stays in Prince Albert with his family. He likes Western Canada, he just works out east..

Man some of the comments on here. :help:

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
This is how I see it:

If Babcock wanted to coach a competitive team next season he would just stay in Detroit.
If he wanted to coach close to his "hometown" he would have went to Edm
If he wanted a challenge but with the promise of coaching a phenom he would have went to Edm.

We no these two teams are probably not in the cards at this point. So,

He could go to Buffalo to get a similar situation as he could get in Edm. But I'm going to go ahead and assume he wasn't interesed in Edm so really why Buffalo? Its not a first class city either lets face it.
Sure maybe he wins a cup one day in Buffalo. Great. Will anyone outside Buffalo really care?
Im trying to use deductive reasoning here.

So for me that leaves TOR and Philly. Unless a wild card blindsides everyone, such as Montreal firing their coach and hiring Babcock.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
:laugh:

What is your point? The Oilers haven't even asked for permission to speak with him. They clearly want McLellan. They asked for permission like a few days after he parted ways with the Sharks.

And FYI. Every summer he stays in Prince Albert with his family. He likes Western Canada, he just works out east..

Man some of the comments on here. :help:

Yeah I'm sure Nicholson and Chiarelli completely just ignored Babcock without finding out where he stands before pursuing McLellan. Perhaps Babcock immediately gave them a hard no?

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
If Babcock lands in Toronto, he is chasing the money. Period.

I feel like he wants to stay in Detroit and Detroit would welcome him back. But it's getting to the point where they want to move on and it would be a short term commitment. Which could also give Babcock the chance of landing a better job in another year or two than what is currently out there.

If not, Philly is a better option than Buffalo to me. At least, for now.

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
Yeah I'm sure Nicholson and Chiarelli completely just ignored Babcock without finding out where he stands before pursuing McLellan. Perhaps Babcock immediately gave them a hard no?

Perhaps. But we don't know that. But just assume anyway, you know, because screw facts, they just get in the way the narrative you want to construct.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Why would he want to talk with a team like Buffalo and not Edmonton? I mean, there's no downside to being wined and dined by a billionaire owner. Babcock, or any coach, would be smart to at least listen to what Edmonton has to say if they come calling. The probable scenario is that Edmonton feels that they can get an equally good coach under the radar while other teams are heavily pursuing a coach that might not even end up leaving Detroit.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
1)Vancouver has a coach that doesn't feature the Sedins. Who will go?

2)Vancouver owner Aquilini has said he wants to follow the Detroit model.

3)Vancouver can pay five million a year for a coach.

4)Vancouver is in an ultra competitive division with emerging teams.

5)Vancouver is an hour and ten minutes from Portland by air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad