News Article: Babcock says Hainsey will play with Rielly according to Dave McCarthy (Twitter)

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It's pretty simple to me. Babcock generally likes to use four forwards in the PP. Morgan wasn't one of his top two options.

You're citing the playoffs in which Morgan has 3 points, which is great. But it's only six games. Over 76 games, he had 5 points. It's great he picked it up for a short burst of time, but I've the fund of a full season, he proved incapable of being productive on the PP. Up to the player to prove he can keep the playoff success going and then he'll get more PP ice time. Simple as that.

Oh gimme a break.

Rielly: 76gp, 0:58 avg PPTOI/g, 5 powerplay points.
Gardiner: 82gp, 2:32 avg PPTOI/g, 13 powerplay points.

Gardiner and Rielly's point production on the powerplay relative to their time played there in the regular season are very similar, and slightly lean in Rielly's favour.

He didn't get the opportunity others did. Plain and simple.

Rielly's playoff PPTOI/g was 02:08, so it's almost like when he gets a chance to contribute, he does. Go figure.

Last edited:

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
I made a mistake

1. 23:26 ~ Jaccob Slavin
  2. 23:06 ~ Justin Faulk
  3. 22:20 ~ Ron Hainsey

Even Strength TOI went in this order ...
  1. Justin Faulk
  2. Jaccob Slavin
  3. Ron Hainsey

My bad! Thought Hainsey would have been in a situation like Rielly during Phaneuf's last year here where Phaneuf had the highest TOI due to 5-7 mins of PP time.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It's pretty simple to me. Babcock generally likes to use four forwards in the PP. Morgan wasn't one of his top two options.

You're citing the playoffs in which Morgan has 3 points, which is great. But it's only six games. Over 76 games, he had 5 points. It's great he picked it up for a short burst of time, but I've the fund of a full season, he proved incapable of being productive on the PP. Up to the player to prove he can keep the playoff success going and then he'll get more PP ice time. Simple as that.

I cited the playoffs because it was the only time he had been getting over 2 minutes per game on the PP this season.

During the Regular season he had less than a minute averaged. So yes, he may have had 7 less PP points than Zaitsev last year, but he also played 91 minutes less on the PP.

But like I've said, I don't mind Zaitsev on that PP because he didn't ruin anything.

If you look at Rielly's PP production in years passed when he did get the minutes, it's actually pretty decent considering how offensively challenged some of those teams were.

You're right though, Rielly will have to show Babcock what he's capable of, and building off of that playoffs is the first step.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Rielly shot hits the net 48.6%, Gardiner 40%...I assumed you were talking about Rielly with the above bolded.

Doesn't indicate the velocity of his wrist shots compared to others in the NHL. Also doesn't account for the percentage of shots that actually go in. I've seen a lot of kids get shots on net, but they just slide along the ice and are an easy trap for the goalie. So not all shots are created equally. I believe Riellys shooting percentage was in the neighborhood of 3%. So yeah.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
When talking about Hainsey or Rielly's +/- for the last three years, yeah their clubs in general sucked. I also have to point out, Rielly and Carrick are the same age. We're really expecting so much out of Rielly yet Carrick is allowed on the roster just because.
I actually think Rielly can do well both offensively and defensively. Just not both at the same time. Although the Leafs lost offense with Hunwick, I think they will gain more having Reilly knowing he's the go-to guy on the blueline and knowing his partner has the back-end. That being said, Reilly is a turn-over machine and I think Hainsey will not only have his work cut out for him, he'll be crucified by the fans just for being put in a tough situations over and over that's not always going to work. Hainsey will not being scoring and creating which will further cause grief with fans. But Babcock will know he's doing his job and love him.

In general terms on the Leaf's blueline. I don't think this team is going to be competitive unless there's a step-up from the existing 5th/6th options.

-Carolina -18/-25/-36
-Toronto +16/-48/-51

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Oh gimme a break.

Rielly: 76gp, 0:58 avg PPTOI/g, 5 powerplay points.
Gardiner: 82gp, 2:32 avg PPTOI/g, 13 powerplay points.

Gardiner and Rielly's point production on the powerplay relative to their time played there in the regular season are very similar, and slightly lean in Rielly's favour.

He didn't get the opportunity others did. Plain and simple.

Rielly's playoff PPTOI/g was 02:08, so it's almost like when he gets a chance to contribute, he does. Go figure.

So again, is back to why do you think Babcock was trying to make his PP worse, if as you are asserting Rielly is the better PP option? Did Babcock forget Rielly existed? Or are you saying you're a better decision maker than Babcock? Whose lineup decisions by the way, led us to the second best PP in the league. And then became much worse with Rielly in the playoffs.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
So again, is back to why do you think Babcock was trying to make his PP worse, if as you are asserting Rielly is the better PP option? Did Babcock forget Rielly existed? Or are you saying you're a better decision maker than Babcock? Whose lineup decisions by the way, led us to the second best PP in the league. And then became much worse with Rielly in the playoffs.
To improve the team's PK, ES. I expect Babcock wanted to keep Rielly in a certain minute area and felt the gap between him and Zaitsev on the PP wasn't as big as Rielly-Gardiner on the PK.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
? So, it seems like we have the top 4 D set and are ready to head into the season with what we have. ?

Interesting.

Last edited:

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
You can have Rielly - Hainey as the top offensive pairing while Gardiner - Zaitsev does the shut down duties.

Once again, #1D are not measured by their shut down ability. Karlsson, the best defenseman in the world, is NOT a shut down defenseman. What we need is an offensively dominant pairing resembling that one.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
nah, rielly-hainsey / jake-zaitsev would be two nicely balanced 2-way pairings that can play in all situations, not an offensive/defensive split.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
? So, it seems like we have the top 4 D set and are ready to head into the season with what we have. ?

Interesting.

Was a great move, super smart. Would have liked returns on a couple players but that could happen by mid season and with injury. If Bozak and JVr are own rentals, so be it.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
What happened to don't worry he will not be playing on our top pairing, he will likely be our 4-6. Does this ring a bell to anybody who commented positively on the signing. Now all of a sudden the guy is likely paired with Reilly and playing top pairing minutes.

Personally, I never thought that and felt the people who did were in la la land. I thought from the very second this signing was announced that Hainsey would likely be on the first line with Rielly (with the only exception possibly being having him pair with young D prospects as they entered the lineup. Hainsey is a great partner to play hard minutes against high-quality opposition with Rielly. He cost the Leafs nothing and will be out of the way in time for the developing prospects to graduate from bottom pairing to top-4 roles.

can JVR and Bozak get us a top 4 at the TDL?.

Can a short term rental get us a top 4? No.

Would a team that is looking to pick up short term rentals for a playoff run be interested in trading top 4 D just before the playoffs? Never.

People still think that the Leafs are looking for a top 4 D. I think they are completely mistaken. That boat sailed a little over a month ago. The Leafs looked for a top 4. They found the asking price to be way too expensive. Then they drafted Liljegren, who they never thought would fall all the way to them, and at that time changed their direction in terms of D. They were no longer looking to acquire a long-term top-4 RHD solution through trades or signing. They were now going to develop from their prospect pool. That is why they signed an experienced top-4 D who can fill that role for up to 2 seasons.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
And it is baffling that some people are still denying that Hainsey is a top-4 D and has been for essentially his entire career.

Rielly led the Leafs D in ES ATOI with 18:48
Hainsey's ES ATOI for the Canes last year: 19:03
For the Canes in 2015-16: 19:20 (most on the Canes)
For the Canes in 2014-15: 18:47
For the Canes in 2013-14: 18:45
For the Jets in 2012-13: 19:18
Etc etc.

I understand that some people don't like Hainsey because they wanted the Leafs to acquire a young #1 RHD on a long-term affordable contract for JVR, Bozak and a cap dump, but Leafs management has to function in reality.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
And it is baffling that some people are still denying that Hainsey is a top-4 D and has been for essentially his entire career.

Etc etc.

I understand that some people don't like Hainsey because they wanted the Leafs to acquire a young #1 RHD on a long-term affordable contract for JVR, Bozak and a cap dump, but Leafs management has to function in reality.

Hainsey and Marleau were a stroke of genius. Still think they wanted to unload one of Bozak or JVR though.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Hainsey and Marleau were a stroke of genius. Still think they wanted to unload one of Bozak or JVR though.

Oh, I think that they did (JVR as part of a deal for Hamonic for instance), and probably still do. They need to find spots in the lineup for a number of young forwards. I just think that before they were looking at trading someone like JVR plus a prospect and a pick or picks for someone like Hamonic or another top 4 D, whereas in the future they will looking at trading one, two or three of JVR/Bozak/Komarov for picks. But they are probably not in a rush, and instead are waiting to see how hungry and prepared the likes of Kapanen, Sosh, Lievo, Rychel etc are when they come into training camp. However, that is just my opinion, and who knows, they could instead want to keep all of those vets for the playoff run.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Let us not act like Zaitsev used his booming shot a lot from the point on the PP either last year...

And for the record, Zaitsev does have a pretty hard shot but he wasn't used a trigger man on that PP at all.

I can see why Zaitsev would get the nod over Rielly because he is a right handed a shot, and that gives them a Right and Left shot on each PP on the point.

But Rielly has the tools to be a very good PP QB on this team. He's an elite skate with elite gap control/closing abilities and his passing ability is on the higher end.

Rielly had the most PP points on the team during the playoffs, and he was great on the PP IMO.

Even at the World Cup, Rielly was playing a ton of minutes on the PP.

Babcock has done pretty much everything amazing here, but his use of Rielly hasn't been his strongest. Remove the chains on Rielly and let him play like how he did in the Caps series, where he was that dominant possession player that can run a PP.

I don't blame Babcock for keeping the PP units intact though because they were an elite PP.

Seriously are you on the pipe ? Reilly has been given more opportunities to be a top 2 D on this team than pretty much anyone in history and failed , you guys quote possession stats while ignoring the shot suppression chart that Babcock himself referred too during the season , Reilly is among the leagues worst at both areas of defensive zone shot suppression ,which is D mans real job , Gardner is in the top 5 , I know reality is inconvenient when it doesn't conform to your fantasy but it is after all real
.Defensemen are paid to defend not get burned poaching or stand around in the low slot watching the game play out around them, on the PP the D is there to prevent short handed breaks not provide them, we quarterback from the half boards not the point , Reilly has continuously over played the puck getting trapped below the top of the circle and voila short handed break against while he either slow foots it back last or jumps off the ice to avoid another - to his total , Hainsey is here to prop up and solidify the sieve while either fixing him or proving he's unfixable .

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Seriously are you on the pipe ? Reilly has been given more opportunities to be a top 2 D on this team than pretty much anyone in history and failed , you guys quote possession stats while ignoring the shot suppression chart that Babcock himself referred too during the season , Reilly is among the leagues worst at both areas of defensive zone shot suppression ,which is D mans real job , Gardner is in the top 5 , I know reality is inconvenient when it doesn't conform to your fantasy but it is after all real
.Defensemen are paid to defend not get burned poaching or stand around in the low slot watching the game play out around them, on the PP the D is there to prevent short handed breaks not provide them, we quarterback from the half boards not the point , Reilly has continuously over played the puck getting trapped below the top of the circle and voila short handed break against while he either slow foots it back last or jumps off the ice to avoid another - to his total , Hainsey is here to prop up and solidify the sieve while either fixing him or proving he's unfixable .

You should read some of the Athletic articles on Rielly, then maybe you'll understand things.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
having rielly with hainsey...and gardiner with zaitsev...it does give them more balance i think, maybe not a legit 1 line but looks like two 1b lines or a pair of elite 2nd pairings

also depends if rielly takes that step...really young 19-22 year olds game can change a lot over a several months offseason, even 23-26 your still young enough to take steps in your game, look at kadri and gardiner into their late 20s and still improving

if rielly improves and we wanna make him our 1st pair, i dont know how well hainsey can handle all the playing time and tough match ups

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
To improve the team's PK, ES. I expect Babcock wanted to keep Rielly in a certain minute area and felt the gap between him and Zaitsev on the PP wasn't as big as Rielly-Gardiner on the PK.

If true, you would think he would put him out there for key PPs. Instead he was passed over. But I'm sure Babcock has no idea how to coach.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

Etc etc.

I'm convinced a lot of people don't actually watch games on here. Definitely not non Leafs games anyway.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If true, you would think he would put him out there for key PPs. Instead he was passed over. But I'm sure Babcock has no idea how to coach.
Not really, the obvious thought is he'd stick with his normal group since they're used to playing together and have chemistry.

Last edited:

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Exactly. Personally if Matthews is somehow a 40 goal/ 30-40 assist guy with Hyman and Brown on his wing I would love to see Marner and Willy together on the 2nd line just torching the opposition.
I could see Matthews increasing his production even with blue collar guys on his wing. It is pretty obvious that he can drive his own line.

Pair Nylander and Marner to create an elite depth scoring ( i.e. 1b) line.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

Babcock is really big on managing ice time. Just because Rielly wasn't used on the PP as much doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't think Rielly is not as good as Gardiner there. Babcock could very well see him as a better option than Gardiner on the PP, however Rielly had relatively more defensive value on the PK, so opted for Gardiner on the PP instead so he doesn't have to play Rielly 25min per night throughout the entire regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad