News Article: Babcock says Hainsey will play with Rielly according to Dave McCarthy (Twitter)

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Every year is a win now situation for us

We are not in a Caps, Pens, Hawks, etc situation ... Here are some things we have to deal with this year.

• the rookies 2nd year of development
  • JVR, Bozak, Leo
  • Developing one or two rookie Dmen

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Seriously if I actually have to answer your question god help you.

Why is it so hard for everybody to understand this, I don't think Hainsey is the worst player in the world but if we are trying to build for a SC contender having him play on the top pairing is not going to cut it. Furthermore, he should be slotted on a contender at 4, 5 or 6. Ideally bottom pairing who can move up in a pinch.
Stop gap
Stopgap
Temporary solution for a problem.
Did not cost assets.
Is still a top 4 D
Where's the problem?

And thanks for the offer of God's help. I could really use it.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Stop gap
Stopgap
Temporary solution for a problem.
Did not cost assets.
Is still a top 4 D
Where's the problem?

To put it in another way, there was plan A, which was the rumoured deal for Hamonic for JVR and draft choices.

Since that deal fell through, to their credit, Leafs management went out and got an old but reliable defenseman, who played well enough in the playoffs to be on a championship team. That was plan B.

You know, this current discussion, really is about dissatisfaction about plan A and plan B.

If they know anything about a plan A++ or plan C, then maybe they could enlighten the forum with that insight.

That won't happen.

;)

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
How has our defence gotten better? I'm sorry but at best the TML brasses moves this offseason have just been status qou regarding NHL slotted players. Yes we brought in the two swede's, love our two first picks but nobody knows if they can play in the NHL or how long our picks will take to be ready.

Look we go out and sign Marleau to an awful contract, Bealieu cost the Sabres a third. I would take a 24 year old kid with huge upside signed for 2*2.4 than a 35+ being paid 3 and we know exactly what he is a 4 at best. Why didn't we go after any of the D Vegas grabbed in the expansion draft.

Look if Hainsey is playing bottom pairing or number 4 then I'm okay with this move, if he was brought in to be a top pairing D then Some serious questioning needs to be addressed at the GM.

Our team got better defensively because:
1. Hainsey is better than the guy he's replacing in Hunwick.
2. Marleau is a good 200 ft. player who will help the team allow less goals. He's also good on the draw.
3. Moore is a good 4th line center who's good on faceoffs, penalty killing, etc. and for most of last year our 4th line was awful because we had Smith or Gauthier in that role.

Hainsey was obviously brought in to be the # 4 behind Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev.

The youngsters will also improve defensively. Rielly, Zaitsev, Carrick and all the rookie forwards still have room to grow.

As far as Beaulieu he isn't very good defensively but is decent offensively. Similar bio to Carrick because those offensive minutes opportunities go to Rielly, Zaitsev, Gardiner. We didn't have room to grow a guy like Beaulieu with how much youth is already on our blueline and on the way.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the defense is better because we got a legit quality defensive top-4 dman to fill the biggest hole on the dcorps, and because we have plenty of depth to compete for the bottom pair guys we lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad