News Article: Babcock: Matthews “should be right around the 19 minute mark”

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Pretty sure Tavares was already an established superstar when he got here.

It would be nice if you stopped asking questions and actually put up some strong cases to prove Babcock knows how to maximize the potential of his players.

Marner? Marner's getting hung out to dry on a 55% penalty kill instead of conserving that energy for much needed offence. He was no where to be seen with the exception of two blocks after game 1.

So wait...let me get this straight Marner (who is fanboy'd non stop in here) can't handle a PK assignment because his conditioning won't allow him to? to me that says not Superstar money...and before we do the whataboutism with Matthews, Matthews was never drafted to be anything other than what he is which is a budding #1C who specializes in PP situations...Marner was always painted as Mr Everything...if you are Mr. Everything why shouldn't you be able to take a PK shift consistently (he can take a shorter shift after all as it is kind of nice to actually have a dangerous player on the PK to hurt any teams who decide to get too cute)

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I'm thinking we already have the most qualified guy to coach a stacked and skilled team ... last head, that way >>>>

2014_olym_feb23_canswe_gold_team_photo_640.jpg

Dude...you could have literally put a cardboard cut out of David Hasselhoff behind the bench and that team would have won gold...nothing to do with the magic of Mike Babcock on that one lol

bad example lol

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Dude...you could have literally put a cardboard cut out of David Hasselhoff behind the bench and that team would have won gold...nothing to do with the magic of Mike Babcock on that one lol

bad example lol
the point was Babcock does know how to handle a skilled team/players ... Bro, he has won at all levels, I can post up a bunch of examples

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

bad example lol
This is pretty dumb and I don't even like Babcock.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
the point was Babcock does know how to handle a skilled team/players ... Bro, he has won at all levels, I can post up a bunch of examples

First off, not against babcock at all...the guy is a great NHL coach, will probably be a HOF'er when he's done and is extremely accomplished...what I argue is the idea that because he is so accomplished nobody should question him

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
First off, not against babcock at all...the guy is a great NHL coach, will probably be a HOF'er when he's done and is extremely accomplished...what I argue is the idea that because he is so accomplished nobody should question him

All coaches are questioned there entire careers ... on this site, you will hear "Babcock is a terrible coach and should be fired because he once started Kadri in an overtime game a couple of years ago" etc ...

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
So wait...let me get this straight Marner (who is fanboy'd non stop in here) can't handle a PK assignment because his conditioning won't allow him to? to me that says not Superstar money...and before we do the whataboutism with Matthews, Matthews was never drafted to be anything other than what he is which is a budding #1C who specializes in PP situations...Marner was always painted as Mr Everything...if you are Mr. Everything why shouldn't you be able to take a PK shift consistently (he can take a shorter shift after all as it is kind of nice to actually have a dangerous player on the PK to hurt any teams who decide to get too cute)

Marner and penalty kill shouldn’t even be used in the same sentence. Leave it to the bottom 6 / energy guys. Kapi is dangerous enough. Scoring on the pk is a luxury. Why would you want to risk injury. This team possesses an elite offence they don’t need scoring opportunities on the pk they just need to keep the puck out of the net.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Brad Marchand, Tyler Bozak... they played allot more playoff games then Tavares or Matthews but only had double the amount of shots against when on the ice.
Is this Babcock's fault, or perhaps some kid who's been able to dominate offensively their entire career has something to learn when it comes to playing against their peers?
Maybe one might consider gradually increasing their ice-time and responsibilities going forward? If we take a list of the top 50 scoring players of all-time, how many of them
were truly able to dominate and outperform the opposition both ways and lead their team to a Cup in the first three years of their career? Let's not get ahead of ourselves,
the Leafs core players are still developing kids and still need to be earning their ice-time.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Don’t know if this has been posted but Matthews was on tim and sid and pretty much said he talked to Babcock about his ice time and now they’re on the same page. Matthews said he told him he wants to be out there in more situations.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
We can always question him.

I agree he is great and deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Don’t know if this has been posted but Matthews was on tim and sid and pretty much said he talked to Babcock about his ice time and now they’re on the same page. Matthews said he told him he wants to be out there in more situations.

Really no excuse. Late in the game if we get an offensive zone draw, put out Matthews - JT - Marner with Rielly and Barrie on the points. Call a timeout and keep them out there.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Brad Marchand, Tyler Bozak... they played allot more playoff games then Tavares or Matthews but only had double the amount of shots against when on the ice.
Is this Babcock's fault, or perhaps some kid who's been able to dominate offensively their entire career has something to learn when it comes to playing against their peers?
Maybe one might consider gradually increasing their ice-time and responsibilities going forward? If we take a list of the top 50 scoring players of all-time, how many of them
were truly able to dominate and outperform the opposition both ways and lead their team to a Cup in the first three years of their career? Let's not get ahead of ourselves,
the Leafs core players are still developing kids and still need to be earning their ice-time.

For some extra perspective, Matthews was still the second youngest player on the ice vs Boston with the exception of Charlie McAvoy, so the expectations were sky high and rightfully so, but our guy is still very young.

The other thing is Matthews often looks like he's trying to force the offense out there, but needs to realize that there's also a lot of junk attrition time you need to manage well before you set yourself up to break the game open.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
what obvious to some is how Matthews can disappear like he did in game 7 ...

Every player can "disappear" at times. Even wonder boy Mitch. And did Babcock do anything to try to get his best player and proficient goal scorr going? Nope. He'd rather play his pets and gud pros like Marleau and Brown

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Every player can "disappear" at times. Even wonder boy Mitch. And did Babcock do anything to try to get his best player and proficient goal scorr going? Nope

Well it's difficult to spot him on the bench so can't blame him for vanishing from the camera.

Matthews playing against the Bruins 2nd line/2nd pair and gives up 2 5vs5 goals against in game 7 ... elite players have few off days, Matthews has many, just saying

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad