News Article: Babcock: Matthews “should be right around the 19 minute mark”

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Had too much caffeine today can't sleep so saw this video from Tukka. He was asked how did perform so well in the playoffs around 4:00; somebody show this reply to this dinosaur of a coach called babcock

If there are any advanced stats and sports science data that determine the correct amount of rest I’m sure the Leafs will employ that his year. In order to make it work they'll have to have a better performance from their back up goalies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'm always shocked at how well Scandinavian people speak English. He doesn't even have an accent.

It’s funny that you don’t hear his accent and I hear it plain as day.
I suspect it’s because of our environment and who we hear on a daily basis.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
If there are any advanced stats and sports science data that determine the correct amount of rest I’m sure the Leafs will employ that his year. In order to make it work they'll have to have a better performance from their back up goalies.

I have heard Babcock talk about TOI and optimal performance info from the sports science dept ...

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Please point out to me where I said anything remotely resembling that he had a great game. I just don't subscribe to your narrative that he was bad simply because his line struggled in corsi and happened to be on the ice when Andersen and Gardiner decided to give away freebies
The stats are just confirming what everyone saw, he was outplayed by the Bruins 2nd line and 2nd pair, he was a nonfactor...

This is for others, who struggle with simpliar things in life ... I'm just talking about game 7 in this back/forth and not trashing Matthews the player, the kids awesome and getting better

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Why have a coach then?

I think they say something around 20 min ATOI is optimal over an 80 game schedule, I can't remember the details of the interview, it was a couple of years ago

but people here think Freddy will play better in the playoffs by playing less and the Matthews will play better by playing more ...:rolleyes:

Reactions: Jack Bauer

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I have heard Babcock talk about TOI and optimal performance info from the sports science dept ...

I know was little off topic but I was replying to the Rask video.

Yeah, TOI is important and I’d to imagine they’re all working together on this.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
19 minutes and more if they get enough power plays.

The coach likes to roll a balanced lineup and manage their minutes accordingly. That's his position. I'm not sure I agree with him on this one. Hopefully the team is all on the same page and they focus on winning, not just stats.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
My opinion is, Matthews showed last year he is not above taking off several weeks. For a lot of 2019, he was floating, especially right around when he signed his contract. It's a fact, anyone who watched the year knows it. We all bitched about it for a while here.

However, when he want to take over a game, he can. We saw it in the playoffs, we saw it at the winter classic, we saw it so many times.

No one can say Matthews isn't our best player, but there is a debate if he is the most consistent player. Consistent is better for 82 game grinds but I take the best in the playoffs.

KyleDubasWonderKid

Sep 12, 2019
Matthews has to learn to be a force every game, every shift especially when the going gets tough out there and the same goes with Freddy!

How many more points can he score with his minutes? LOL. Have you checked out his production? Everything tells me play him much more.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Matty will rival McJesus for NHL scoring lead assuming he plays a full season uninjured AND Babs plays him 20 minutes a night. I expect 60 goals and 55 assists should be where he ends up.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Mikey knows no one calls his bluff in TO...so he can continue story telling.

When he stops having a drink before he answers questions then your getting a real answer.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
How many more points can he score with his minutes? LOL. Have you checked out his production? Everything tells me play him much more.

what are you trying to say? most elite players average 2 or 3 shifts more than him a game and I can't think of any team that had the Leafs center depth last season so its understandable he is slightly lower

KyleDubasWonderKid

Sep 12, 2019
what are you trying to say? most elite players average 2 or 3 shifts more than him a game and I can't think of any team that had the Leafs center depth last season so its understandable he is slightly lower

Matthews had less TOI before Tavares signed last year. He posted career highs in TOI.

Who cares if they have 2 star Cs? He can't be 38th in TOI among Cs and can't be playing 18 minutes in game 7. Especially not with the players who were on the ice in that 3rd period.

Marleau REALLY hurt the Leafs last season. Kyle Dubas agreed. He took so much tiem away from far betterw ingers.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Matthews had less TOI before Tavares signed last year. He posted career highs in TOI.

Who cares if they have 2 star Cs? He can't be 38th in TOI among Cs and can't be playing 18 minutes in game 7. Especially not with the players who were on the ice in that 3rd period.

Marleau REALLY hurt the Leafs last season. Kyle Dubas agreed. He took so much tiem away from far betterw ingers.
The year before Tavares came the Leafs game plan was to use Kadri as the matchup center and let Matthews continue to develop as a second-year player ... Matthews line did not play well in game 7, the corsi was coming from the Tavares line and the Marleau/Willie/Brown line... Marleau played well in the playoffs

KyleDubasWonderKid

Sep 12, 2019
The year before Tavares came the Leafs game plan was to use Kadri as the matchup center and let Matthews continue to develop as a second-year player ... Matthews line did not play well in game 7, the corsi was coming from the Tavares line and the Marleau/Willie/Brown line... Marleau played well in the playoffs
So take them off the ice and play Gauthier intead! Brilliant!
Matthews had more goal than anyone on either side in the serie and more 5 on 5 goals than any player since entering the NHL. He can score at any time. Play him.

Marleau had 0 goals 2 assists in the playoffs. He was brutal.

Reactions: kb

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
So take them off the ice and play Gauthier intead! Brilliant!
Matthews had more goal than anyone on either side in the serie and more 5 on 5 goals than any player since entering the NHL. He can score at any time. Play him.

Marleau had 0 goals 2 assists in the playoffs. He was brutal.

I never mentioned Gauthier or the 4th line for starters, get a grip and don't say silly stuff like that ... it doesn't matter what Matthews did in games 1-6, he was getting dominated by the Bruins 2nd line, it only makes sense to play the other 2 lines more since they were creating the offense during the game

Marleau was a 3rd line player during the series, he was expected to be just a 3rd line player ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad