News Article: Babcock: Matthews “should be right around the 19 minute mark”

KyleDubasWonderKid

Sep 12, 2019
I never mentioned Gauthier or the 4th line for starters, get a grip and don't say silly stuff like that ... it doesn't matter what Matthews did in games 1-6, he was getting dominated by the Bruins 2nd line, it only makes sense to play the other 2 lines more since they were creating the offense during the game

Marleau was a 3rd line player during the series, he was expected to be just a 3rd line player ...

The fcat is gauthier was seeing a disturbing amount of ice-time in the 3rd period. That really kills the argument.

You are happy with Matthews usage?

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
Matthews had less TOI before Tavares signed last year. He posted career highs in TOI.

Who cares if they have 2 star Cs? He can't be 38th in TOI among Cs and can't be playing 18 minutes in game 7. Especially not with the players who were on the ice in that 3rd period.

Marleau REALLY hurt the Leafs last season. Kyle Dubas agreed. He took so much tiem away from far betterw ingers.

Interesting - did you listen to the Babs and Dubas presser this morning?

I didn't catch it, but the boys on Overdrive said Babs said he'd put Matthews out a regular number of shifts (27) but they were shorter giving him less TOI (18:48).

JT had 27 shifts and 21:19.

Not sure why that would be, and not sure if Babs was putting the responsibility back onto AM34 to stay on the ice.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I hate this coach so much. Today's press conference:

My quotes, some paraphrasing:

After being asked about Auston's minutes in crucial games like Game 7 last season, Babcocks somewhat defensivley responded:

"I think in the regular season he play's about 18 and a half minutes. Is that about right?"

Yup, that's about right Babs, so far so good, but he goes on:

"I think in the playoffs, uhhh, in Game 7, uhhh, I think he played in he 20's or something like that...did you check his shift length?"

Yup, I did Babs:

Toronto Maple Leafs - Boston Bruins - April 23rd, 2019

18:48.

This dude is delusional and needs to go.

KyleDubasWonderKid

Sep 12, 2019

After being asked about Auston's minutes in crucial games like Game 7 last season, Babcocks somewhat defensivley responded:

"I think in the regular season he play's about 18 and a half minutes. Is that about right?"

"I think in the playoffs, uhhh, in Game 7, uhhh, I think he played in he 20's or something like that...did you check his shift length?"

Yup, I did Babs:

He litterally cancelled the Q and A and walked out once Simmons questioned why he used Marleau so much in game 7.

The issue is the Leafs spent BY FAR more than any organization in analytics and then they have this guy as coach. He's not a fit.

Reactions: HR Pickens

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Yup, I did Babs:

Pretty sure Babcock didn't want to trash Matthews game 7 performance today on camera, Babcock handled it correctly

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Toronto's offense is like lipstick on a pig. Babcock knows this team isn't capable. He's still looking at changing how someone like Matthews plays. Take away the play-maker, force Matthews to drive the line instead of Nylander or Marner. Give him more defensive responsibilities. It wasn't until his fifth season that Steve Yzerman was a plus player. He developed into one of the best offensive players to win the Selke. Would a good coach have these kids continue to play pond hockey? Or would he use the only carrot he's got, and that's ice-time to develop their game? Support players like Kessel can help win, but it's core players that do more then just score to come out on top.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Pretty sure Babcock didn't want to trash Matthews game 7 performance today, Babcock handled it correctly

OK, sure, good answer but that's not what Babcock said, he said 20+ minutes basically saying outright he thinks he did boost Matthews' minutes in Game 7 which is clearly not the case so I'm guessing there wasn't as much strategy in that game as you're thinking.

And if Babs wants to go down that path, he'll have to explain to me why he sent out an injured Jake Gardiner, already known for jittery nerves in game 7 situations, for 4 shifts in a 3 and a half minute stretch in the first period of the game directly leading to the first 2 goals against and effectively sinking the team. And he almost certainly did it chasing one of his borderline insane match-ups that Cassidy probably giggled himself to sleep over later that night.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010

Yup, I did Babs:

Take another listen - he said "everything except game 7" he was in the 20s.

Then he said "did you check the shift length? There are some things I can't control, I can just put them out there".

So that's pretty much what the boyz on Overdrive said. Matthews played a regular number of shifts, but for some reason or another, they were short and that gave him less TOI.

His TOI for games 1-7 against Boston: 20:42 20:03, 19:34, 21:34, 17:44(???), 20:07, 18:48.

I don't remember why Game 5 was so low, but his average over the first games was about 19:55 or so.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Take another listen - he said "everything except game 7" he was in the 20s.

Then he said "did you check the shift length? There are some things I can't control, I can just put them out there".

So that's pretty much what the boyz on Overdrive said. Matthews played a regular number of shifts, but for some reason or another, they were short and that gave him less TOI.

His TOI for games 1-7 against Boston: 20:42 20:03, 19:34, 21:34, 17:44(???), 20:07, 18:48.

I don't remember why Game 5 was so low, but his average over the first games was about 19:55 or so.

OK, you're right. He mumbled it and I misheard it. Thanks.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
so just checked babcock's interview on youtube on the leafs channel. he went through the 11 mins interview without using the words "Gud Pro"

may be there is hope? :dunno:

Reactions: Menzinger

KyleDubasWonderKid

Sep 12, 2019
It's ok if Babcock is coach for other teams, but why for the team spending the most on analytics? He can still be a good coach, he just simply is not a fit here.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Did Auston Matthews' lack of ice-time have more to do with the player than the coach? - The Point Data-driven hockey storytelling that gets right to the point.

Interesting article on this subject, that corroborates what was said above.

To summarize, what happened in game 7 was that Matthews took very short shifts, even though he was getting thrown out there a lot. That's in a situation where the shifts often get longer. Babcock can't directly control how long a player stays, only how often he sends him over the boards; he sent Matthews onto the ice more often than any other forward.

Next question is of course why Matthews got off the ice so fast. Easiest explanation was that he just ran out of juice towards the end of the series.

Reactions: Kurtz

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Did Auston Matthews' lack of ice-time have more to do with the player than the coach? - The Point Data-driven hockey storytelling that gets right to the point.

To summarize, what happened in game 7 was that Matthews took very short shifts, even though he was getting thrown out there a lot. That's in a situation where the shifts often get longer. Babcock can't directly control how long a player stays, only how often he sends him over the boards; he sent Matthews onto the ice more often than any other forward.

Next question is of course why Matthews got off the ice so fast. Easiest explanation was that he just ran out of juice towards the end of the series.
I mentioned this quite awhile ago and got scoffed at. I believe AM's conditioning is the crux of his lack of playing time. He often looked gased after his shifts. Hope he worked on that aspect but really he should have spent time with Mr. Roberts.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

I posted many times in the anti Babcock threads during the season that the top Leaf players are getting shifts per games similar to other star players, it was laughed at, that is why I ignore most opinions on here, way too many uninformed opinions ...

I think it also hard to play long shifts as a forward on a Babcock team, they are usually playing a high tempo game, lots of hustle, energy and this team skates a lot in transition...

Matthews was getting dominated in that game 7 and I hope he wasn't taking short shifts because he gave up and it was because of Krejci battled him hard all game long and he was just tired

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I posted many times in the anti Babcock threads during the season that the top Leaf players are getting shifts per games similar to other star players, it was laughed at, that is why I ignore most opinions on here ...

I think it also hard to play long shifts as a forward on a Babcock team, they are usually playing a high tempo game, lots of hustle, energy and this team skates a lot in transition...

Matthews was getting dominated in that game 7 and I hope he wasn't taking short shifts because he gave up and it was because of Krejci battled him hard all game long and he was just tired

Yes and many times posters responded to you. It's more situational than total minutes. You don't have your big guns on the bench in game 7 trailing and put Brown and PM out there. AM has gone to babcock about being used more, in more situations, wanting to carry this club. Sad he has to go to the highest paid coach in the league and ask for this. AGAIN

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Yes and many times posters responded to you. It's more situational than total minutes. You don't have your big guns on the bench in game 7 trailing and put Brown and PM out there.

For the 100'th time, the Tavares and Willie line was generating scoring chances in game 7, Matthews wasnt and didnt play well that game....why is this hard for you to understand?

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada

Yup, I did Babs:

Yeah but didn't Babs also say he put him and JT out the same number of shifts, but that JT stayed out longer?

That would explain the difference in TOI.

If so, not sure why Papi is short shifting himself.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
For the 100'th time, the Tavares and Willie line was generating scoring chances in game 7, Matthews wasnt and didnt play well that game....why is this hard for you to understand?

And Marleau and Brown had been lighting it up huh? Hell I'd have every big gun on the team out there tired or not. Call a time-out. But don't go down with your plugs because they're good pros
You go down with your best players. Who else on the team can turn it up a notch then Matthews?
Your Mike babcock can do no wrong shtick is tiresome

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
And Marleau and Brown had been lighting it up huh?
You go down with your best players. Who else on the team can turn it up a notch then Matthews?
Your Mike babcock can do no wrong shtick is tiresome

the Marleau/Willie/Brown line was having a better game 7 than the Matthews line ... the Matthews line had zero high danger corsi for and 6 against in game 7 and was a -2

your opinions are very uninformed, sorry man

stop adding to your posts after I already responded

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
the Marleau/Willie/Brown line was having a better game 7 than the Matthews line ... the Matthews line had zero high danger corsi for and 6 against in game 7 and was a -2

your opinions are very uninformed, sorry man

stop adding to your posts after I already responded

Yes putting PM and Brown out there was genius.
Your opinions are just pom-pom waving for Babcock. At least I praise the man when deserved.

Oh geez, the underline there will sure stop me in the future.

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad