Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
5v5 last night:

Hainsey 22:16, 32.5cf%, 36.3scf%
Muzzin 18:18, 67.8cf%, 71.0scf%

WHY OH WHY DO I HAVE TO OVERPLAY MY PLAYERS SO MUCH!?!?

he's a moron.

Probably has something to do with Muzzin struggling to move the puck out of his end..

And right onto the other team's stick for a goal.

Could be wrong though...

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
They are on different lines.
Rielly is on when Hainsey is on.
You want to play your top line D the most.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
5v5 last night:

he's a moron.
What was the issue with last night?
I thought they played very well defensively and had a chance to win.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
and let's not forget, he doesn't want to call Sandin up because the Leafs currently have enough good players. Except for when it's convenient to him to say otherwise. Babcock needs to get better results and hold himself accountable at this point. Every team has skids like this, but his approach doesn't seem to be a good one
By now, we all know why the Red Wings only won 1 cup with such an amazing roster.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Probably has something to do with Muzzin struggling to move the puck out of his end..

Could be wrong though...
if Muzzin was struggling so much to move the puck out and played in his own end all night, why did the Leafs generate so many more scoring chances than they gave up with him on the ice?

Reactions: LindrosLeafs88

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
if Muzzin was struggling so much to move the puck out and played in his own end all night, why did the Leafs generate so many more scoring chances than they gave up with him on the ice?

Tough to say without knowing which 9 other players were on the ice with him when said events took place.

Scoring chances aside, personally he was struggling to handle the Preds forecheck and he was directly responsible for the 1st goal against.

Would have actually had to watch the game to see that one though I guess..

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
5v5 last night:

he's a moron.
Can you cite a defensive player that was underplayed?
Here is the list
TOICF%

Morgan Rielly
D24:37:0041.3
Ron HainseyD23:4036.36
Jake MuzzinD22:0070.73
Nikita ZaitsevD16:5874.29
Justin HollD13:3444.44
Igor OzhiganovD13:0742.86
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
They aren't.
Fire Babcock
who's the scap goat when Babcock's gone and nothing changes? I'm not saying Babcock is the answer, but I personally don't think he's the problem, I'm not giving the players (at least the ones who are legit NHLer's) a pass on not being able to execute the game plan.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Babcock saying the reason we are losing is because we lack of depth is really next level deep shit.

I think he starting to feel he lost this team and entering panic mode.

Which I actually like.

Pray to god Dubas has the balls to fire this stubborn dinosaur.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
who's the scap goat when Babcock's gone and nothing changes? I'm not saying Babcock is the answer, but I personally don't think he's the problem, I'm not giving the players (at least the ones who are legit NHLer's) a pass on not being able to execute the game plan.
Its Babcock who instructs the players to make the stretch pass & dump and chase vs carrying the puck/forcing the other team to chase & recover the puck from the leafs.

Reactions: weems and ToMaLe

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

If they lose in round 1, what will happens is this:

DJ smith likely leaves for another job/is fired
Same with hiller.

If Keefe doesn't get a HC job, I could see him being promoted.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Its Babcock who instructs the players to make the stretch pass & dump and chase vs carrying the puck/forcing the other team to chase & recover the puck from the leafs.

Is it also him that instructs them to constantly fail to forecheck and create a cycle down low, you know...the way every hockey team does?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Season Totals:

Muzzin-Rielly: 55.8cf%, 54.5scf%
Rielly-Hainsey: 49.8cf%, 50.3scf%

Was dropping Muzzin to the second pairing a reactive move to Jake ailing at the time though?

Rielly/Muzzin may have been and still may be the plan but was derailed by Gards injury?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
they did. so you have to ask babcock why he's complaining.

especially since he only played his best forward, who was having a very good game, only 18:19 in a game we needed goals.
I didn't know he had complained, thought it was you complaining about ice time distribution.
What little I saw of him speaking after the game I thought he said the team played well?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
What was the issue with last night?
I thought they played very well defensively and had a chance to win.
The trouble with just plain numbers, it doesn’t take into account the other players 1 or 2 brutal giveaways that instantly result in getting scored on. It doesn’t really affect the overall numbers.
Gardiner and Muzzin might have the better numbers but they are subject more often to the killer play.
While Hainsey’s numbers might not be ideal, he’s not usually just laying it up for the other team.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Yeah it's actually completely insane that he made this complaint.

utterly insane.

This is the coach who plays his best players less than EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE LEAGUE, complaining that he has to overplay players. (In a game in which the other team STILL played their elite players more than he played his, even though they were fully healthy!!)

it makes no sense.

utterly insane.

You want to know what the best part of it is? He does it exactly the same in the playoffs. His TOI for his star players is almost identical in the playoffs. He is saving them for the long grind that happens in June. The problem is...we never get to June to see if it works. He has been booted 7/8 times in the 1st round. So maybe, just maybe you try something different next time around.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
The trouble with just plain numbers, it doesn’t take into account the other players 1 or 2 brutal giveaways that instantly result in getting scored on. It doesn’t really affect the overall numbers.
Gardiner and Muzzin might have the better numbers but they are subject more often to the killer play.
While Hainsey’s numbers might not be ideal, he’s not usually just laying it up for the other team.

Over the course of a season, these usually get sorted out with stats like SCF%, HDCF% and personal goal differential while taking into account quality of comp and zone starts.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Still not sure why that change was made - they were something like 5-1 with that pairing. Yes small sample but they will get killed if they keep Hainsey-Rielly together

Sadly the change will not come until Hainsey is either injured, or not re-signed after the season.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013

Could be wrong though...
Hey Dubas: How's your stupid scientific method and your unwavering commitment to stupid logic, wisdom and reason working out now, you stats geek , analytics loving, pro- scout following technocrat?!

Leafs Nation knows that the team is badly put together: Excessive skill! Far too much speed, skating, passing, play making - just too much skating flow!

Wowlander, Kappanen, Johnsson, the Europeans on the farm, just get rid of them while we can still sucker some GM somewhere to give us a 40 year old, penalty box sitter with as much skill as a naked mole rat

Or maybe, just maybe, Dubas and Babcock are the best thing that has happened to this team in decades, and the more Leafs Nation squirms, the more we can be confident of one day the skilled players including Europeans everyone wants to drum out of town will not only hoist a cup, but do it - for a change - in a Leafs sweater, and we will all bask in the glow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad