Speculation: Babcock discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Toronto may become better than us faster with world renown talent scouting from the Hunters to a renown coach in Babcock.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Wasn't 50 million the same number being tossed around last night with regards to Buffalo's offer? I'm very to curious to see how they stacked up against each other.

He took our offer to Toronto... they matched it, and added FO responsibilities that we weren't willing to give him

that's the likely scenario/assumption at this point

Karate Johnson*

Hey...he doesn't want money or to be GM. He is on the record with that.

It's not like he went to a team that is nowhere for 50 million dollars and power and player personnel decisions.

Haha... He essentially did exactly what he said he wouldn't.

It really helps the sting of not getting him... Not the most genuine guy.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
I cant wait for the leafs to ditch their rebuild plan and be a middling team again for the next 5 years

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
You really can't even be mad. Why would you? Disappointed but not mad. You can't give a coach that much money and then turn around and give him the type of roster power Toronto will likely give him. Imagine being Hunter or whoever they name to GM. Friedman already says Shannahan AND Babcock will have decision making power on the roster. That's a gong show waiting to happen.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
You really can't even be mad. Why would you? Disappointed but not mad. You can't give a coach that much money and then turn around and give him the type of roster power Toronto will likely give him. Imagine being Hunter or whoever they name to GM. Friedman already says Shannahan AND Babcock will have decision making power on the roster. That's a gong show waiting to happen.

Exactly.

We get to sit back and watch it unfold as we zoom past them in the standings in 2-3 years.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Honestly, Toronto hiring Babcock and deciding to give him GM type control may just be the best thing that could have happened from a Sabres perspective.

Toronto needs to blow up their core.
Babcock, I'm assuming, wants to win, given he's coming from Detroit and is used to success.
Shanahan already declared "go" on the scorched earth policy.

So if the Leafs don't blow it up and tread water for a few more years, will Babcock be in trouble?
If they do blow it up and bottom out, will he be around to see the rebuild through?
Their GM HAS to feel like a bit of a lame duck at this point w/ both Shanny and Babcock around now.

This could be fun to watch...

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
He took our offer to Toronto... they matched it, and added FO responsibilities that we weren't willing to give him

That was my hunch too.

My good friend Tony once told me "first you get the money, then you get the power" (he also added "then you get the woman", but that's not important right now)

It appears Babcock got both the money and the power.

radar493

Mar 26, 2015

Good post. Very risky down the road. May end up with a GM in title only.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
For some reason I'm not upset at all by this. Friedman is reporting that Guy Boucher is meeting with Toronto, maybe assistant coach.

Move on to finding a new head coach. I would think it is someone Murray is familiar and comfortable with making the names Richardson and DeBoer as the names being thrown around.

I wouldn't mind if he brought his uncle Terry in here to coach. Most of the Kings players credit Terry with making them into pro players capable of winning a Cup.

No matter who it is, people will say it is a bad hire. You can spin any coach to look like he is poor but most of these guys are quality coaches who need the right opportunity.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Im massively disappointed. Heartbroken even. But not mad.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Seems plausible. Good on him for it if so.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

This seems to be the case. It still blows, but it was a smart move NOT to give him control over personnel decisions. Murray and Babcock would've been stepping on each other's toes, and I'm not sure it would've ended well.

It still blows, though. And the fact it was Toronto that got him adds more salt to the wound. I'm going to avoid the main boards for a bit.

Bps21*

LOL the caller on WGR saying Julien is probably praying he gets fired with 50 million being thrown around at Babcock. Get him a new contract. Please let him go Boston.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Good post. Very risky down the road. May end up with a GM in title only.
Pretty much what it already sounds like it is.

"Sure you can be our GM... just run everything through me and then through our HEAD COACH.... also our South American Scout and the equipment managers."

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY

and frontloaded it - 8mil per for the first 3 years, and probably has an out too - smart guy

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
This seems like it could wind up being disastrous for Toronto. They're giving up on their rebuild and giving a coach who hasn't had significant front office experience the reigns. Whoever they do end up hiring as gm will just be a yes man for Babcock.

I'm not sure Babcock will be successful with front office control, Scotty Bowman was a hall of fame coach but a disaster as a GM. This could be brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad