Speculation: Babcock 2015: Who still has hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertHombre

Oct 10, 2013
I think Babcock will end up in San Jose (if Detroit doesn't re sign him).
San Jose has a decent team, they will probably be clearing out their GM and coach and Babcock and his family can live an uninterrupted life in California.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Babcock's not going to want to coach through a three or four year long term project to get to a good team. He probably feels he's not getting any younger and doesn't need the grief. And he will have a lot of other attractive options, too.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
If you listen to Bobo Mac he thinks Babcock wants to make history with this next contract - it's not so much about where or how good or bad the team or prospects of winning a Cup - Babcock wants to be the highest paid coach in NHL history and for the longest term.

You can start checking off the names of teams unable to meet his demands. Toronto wants him badly - have an immediate opening ready for him, and is wealthy enough to pay.

The question in the end is whether Detroit is able to pony up the dollars in the 11th hour to keep him in house - if not - I actually think the Leafs have the best chance of getting Babcock.

Shanahan and Hunter help make the Leafs a more stable and attractive destination despite the current chaos of the team.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If you listen to Bobo Mac he thinks Babcock wants to make history with this next contract - it's not so much about where or how good or bad the team or prospects of winning a Cup - Babcock wants to be the highest paid coach in NHL history and for the longest term.

You can start checking off the names of teams unable to meet his demands. Toronto wants him badly - have an immediate opening ready for him, and is wealthy enough to pay.

The question in the end is whether Detroit is able to pony up the dollars in the 11th hour to keep him in house - if not - I actually think the Leafs have the best chance of getting Babcock.

Shanahan and Hunter help make the Leafs a more stable and attractive destination despite the current chaos of the team.

If it's about money, He can take a walk.

If he wants to come here because he wants to be "the guy" when it all goes good again, Then fine. I don't have an issue with him wanting to be become the highest paid coach, But within reason. Anything over $3.5m just to be the coach is just buying the name IMO.

We would be better off going with McLellan, Who may be my preference regardless of Babcock's availability.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
If it's about money he can take a walk.

If he wants to come here because he wants to be "the guy" when it all goes good again, Then fine. I don't have an issue with him wanting to be become the highest paid coach, But within reason. Anything over $3.5m just to be the coach is just buying the name IMO.

We would be better off going with McLellan, Who may be my preference regardless of Babcock's availability.

So you would choose McLellan to coach your team rather Babcock? Why? I mean what do you base that strong opinion upon? It just doesn't seem like McLellan has done anything more than Ron Wilson did in San Jose. It's a mess there now. He has great players to work with. Babcock only has 2 aging stars in Detroit to work with but his best work is molding a young team.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
So you would choose McLellan to coach your team rather Babcock? Why? I mean what do you base that strong opinion upon? It just doesn't seem like McLellan has done anything more than Ron Wilson did in San Jose. It's a mess there now. He has great players to work with. Babcock only has 2 aging stars in Detroit to work with but his best work is molding a young team.

Is the mess in San Jose solely down to TM? I don't think so, It's collective effort of dysfunction, Not unlike here, But with better players. Even with all that during the season(save for this one), They/He's been very successful. His style of coaching is similar to Babcock being that he was his assistant in Detroit.

As I said in the previous post, I'm fine with Babcock as long as money isn't the main reason he's here and we haven't paid over the odds to bring him here.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Is the mess in San Jose solely down to TM? I don't think so, It's collective effort of dysfunction, Not unlike here, But with better players. Even with all that during the season(save for this one), They/He's been very successful. His style of coaching is similar to Babcock being that he was his assistant in Detroit.

As I said in the previous post, I'm fine with Babcock as long as money isn't the main reason he's here and we haven't paid over the odds to bring him here.

Money is the main reason anyone does anything. After that peeps consider the nuances of the destination. I don't think we can reject Babcock because he wants to make 5 mil per year. I certainly don't what anyone makes - the only reason we care about what the players make is because of the hard salary cap otherwise than can make 20 mil per year as long as they produce. That is MLSE's worry.

Baseball and basketball players make more dollars than hockey players do - we still watch them though right?

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
The fact the Leafs are rebuilding I feel adds to the lure of Babcock coming here. A clean slate to build the franchise around, with less pressure to win immediately will only help him, to mold the team in his image.

Add in the fact that they are going to probably offer him a blank cheque and say put the number down. MONEY TALKS! If I he can setup his grandchildren's future, who wouldn't think about that for a second.

Make no mistake this guy has an ego and has admitted it several times, with quotes of wanting to be one of the best all time. Yes that could mean multiple cups, however a team wins a cup every year. He is Canadian and is quite aware that just ONE cup in Toronto and you become Legend.

Lastly, if Detroit is where the heart is, why not only has he not signed a contract (I remember a rumor of Detroit offering him the most lucrative one to date) but has been so adamant that he refuses to discuss the situation with anyone. Perhaps his decision was made a while ago and he was to classy to leave before the current one is up.

All this seems fishy to me. I think anyone who discounts him coming to the Leafs, is just someone who has the "its the Leafs, nothing good happens to us" syndrome.

I think Babcock is coming!!!

Agreed & if we win the McDavid lottery, that will seal the deal.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Money is the main reason anyone does anything. After that peeps consider the nuances of the destination. I don't think we can reject Babcock because he wants to make 5 mil per year. I certainly don't what anyone makes - the only reason we care about what the players make is because of the hard salary cap otherwise than can make 20 mil per year as long as they produce. That is MLSE's worry.

Baseball and basketball players make more dollars than hockey players do - we still watch them though right?

Sorry, But Babcock is not worth 3-4 million dollars more than the next best option.

Especially where this team is in it's development..

CalgaryLeaf*

With the money that the Leafs can throw at Babcock there is always a chance.

I don't think he'd want to be involved in a long rebuild but the opportunity for a great challenge is certainly available in Toronto.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Sorry, But Babcock is not worth 3-4 million dollars more than the next best option.

Especially where this team is in it's development..

Yes he is - especially because of where this team is in its development. We need him right now. Things need to change and lesser known coaches have zero clout. We need an experienced winner who knows how to coach young players and how to keep his dressing room in line.

Why do you care if he makes more than Sutter or Cooper or anyone else - it's not your money?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Yes he is - especially because of where this team is in its development. We need him right now. Things need to change and lesser known coaches have zero clout. We need an experienced winner who knows how to coach young players and how to keep his dressing room in line.

Why do you care if he makes more than Sutter or Cooper or anyone else - it's not your money?

You know San Jose has one of the youngest teams on average in the league right? Not to mention he's been a coach in the WHL; It's not like he has no clue what to do with young players.

As for the clout theory, That should be fairly irrelevant, They should respect and do what the coach says regardless of his previous record.

And no it's not my money, But personally I don't see value in it passed $3.5m; Over what other candidates would offer.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Babcock wants money, and he wants the biggest challenge in Hockey today. He will consider Toronto. He's won everything in hockey at the highest level. There is just one challenge that may stimulate him. Well 2, money and being the coach that brings Toronto a Cup in the last 50 years. I wouldn't be dismissive if he comes to Toronto. This is part of my reason why I have stated The Leafs may make the playoffs next season, and why I do not buy into the hyperbole that it will be a Scorched Earth rebuild. Leafs are not as far off as many have been led to believe we are.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Give him the Kessel contract 8x8 that's just so much more money than anyone can offer him and we can afford it.

I will say if we luck out and win the Lottery it's pretty much a guarantee at that point. It's likely he's not unsigned by that point though I guess.

I think we can only offer him 8x7 since he isn't already on the team :sarcasm:

I just don't see this happening as much as the fan base would dream and hope it will, but with that being said what does he have left to prove in Detroit?

leafs1n67

Nov 9, 2011
They will go with some up and coming young coach, selected by Dubas, who I believe will be the new GM.

I don't think that Shanahan brought Dubas in here to be an AGM to someone else. Maybe I'm giving Shanahan too much credit here but I think he knew that this team wasn't good enough to compete for a cup when he was hired. So he hired Dubas, gave Nonis a year to prove him wrong and at the same time it gives Dubas a chance to get a feel for the NHL.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
Any talented coach worth the money would be stupid to sign with the Maple Leafs gong show between ownership issues, a TMZ style media that sensationalizes situations, with players that give up and possible rebuild has too many negatives regardless of money.

Couple all the above with the fact this organization has not won anything of substances for decades let alone missing the playoffs for almost an entire decade makes one contemplates what sane person would want to coach this team? This team doesn't need Babcock it needs an exorcism.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
If Babcock wants money, and he wants the biggest challenge in Hockey today. He will consider Toronto. He's won everything in hockey at the highest level. There is just one challenge that may stimulate him. Well 2, money and being the coach that brings Toronto a Cup in the last 50 years. I wouldn't be dismissive if he comes to Toronto. This is part of my reason why I have stated The Leafs may make the playoffs next season, and why I do not buy into the hyperbole that it will be a Scorched Earth rebuild. Leafs are not as far off as many have been led to believe we are.

We aren't as far behind as others, and we have some talented players, but others definitely have to go, to make them more successful.

VaughanBender72

The Pain Is Coming
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto
who would honestly want to be apart of an environment so toxic and **** that the media would destroy babcock's confidence and scrutinize him for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad