Speculation: Babcock 2015: Who still has hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Blue Leafs

Jan 3, 2014
Hamilton, ON
The fact the Leafs are rebuilding I feel adds to the lure of Babcock coming here. A clean slate to build the franchise around, with less pressure to win immediately will only help him, to mold the team in his image.

Add in the fact that they are going to probably offer him a blank cheque and say put the number down. MONEY TALKS! If I he can setup his grandchildren's future, who wouldn't think about that for a second.

Make no mistake this guy has an ego and has admitted it several times, with quotes of wanting to be one of the best all time. Yes that could mean multiple cups, however a team wins a cup every year. He is Canadian and is quite aware that just ONE cup in Toronto and you become Legend.

Lastly, if Detroit is where the heart is, why not only has he not signed a contract (I remember a rumor of Detroit offering him the most lucrative one to date) but has been so adamant that he refuses to discuss the situation with anyone. Perhaps his decision was made a while ago and he was to classy to leave before the current one is up.

All this seems fishy to me. I think anyone who discounts him coming to the Leafs, is just someone who has the "its the Leafs, nothing good happens to us" syndrome.

I think Babcock is coming!!!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I will just have to point something out.
I am going to sit on the whole. "Nothing Happy or Lucky happens to Toronto" therefore. We are not winning the Lottery, we're not getting Stamkos and We're Not getting Babcock. get your Sadz faces on now. :)

but - this is the enticement if You were Babcock.

You have a very bad and sad team. who is rebuilding. Now. simply because you are rebuilding doesn't mean you wallow in the depth of 30-27 for 3 years and then strike out Calgary is the prime example of this. I mentioned in the "Why hasn't Nonis been fired Yet?" thread that maybe Shanahan is creating a "think tank" management group.

the set up (as it is) could be what is happening in Colorado. Roy has a huge voice. (and some might even say -the final voice) of what goes on. Shanahan, (whilst backing up the bigger Brinks truck than Illich) can go. Whatever Detroit offers you I can add 1 million more and - I give you a significant voice on roster control.

if say in 4-5 years, the team is "ready to challenge." (not contend). Babcock. (not management) looks like a genius. (and I think the egos in MLSE management would be very content to let that belief be true).

6-9 years if everything is done right, you've got (potentially) a good thing on your hands.

And it's happening here. Winning anywhere else, is not the same as Winning it in Toronto, and I think Babcock knows that. Add to that that he gets credit for actually "fixing" the team? The only way it possibly is "worse" than right now, is if they all collectively do worse than Edmonton - and considering how well they are playing now - Edmonton's problem this season flat out can be summed up as "Bad coaching, inconsistent goaltending, living in the west."

Toronto's issues would more than likely be "not developed yet."

There's no guarantee that you can go to [insert really good team here] and win multiple cups. You just have a good team. He easily could have stayed in Detroit. (and may do so). if it's coaching a young good team.

I think it's a multitude of the following:
1: his legacy. (why not, he's considered the best) & ego
2: his belief that he will be setting the new standard for coaching salaries. (because if Babcock who only has ONE cup can make say, 6 million. Quennville who has 2, Sutter who has 2 can make... how much?)
3: the draw of "fixing" Toronto. (drawing on point 1)
4: the draw of winning in Toronto.
5: being control of roster decisions.

I don't know what other team can offer him all of that. Boston? (if Chia/Julien are gone?) I think the only team that can offer him Roster control is Toronto. (to the point where most people can be comfortable backing off.

Now. LeBrun said Babcock has a razor thin patience for "rebuilding" so there is that. (but again. that is thinking you have to toil in the bottom for ages). if the Leafs are smart drafting then. maybe... (shrug)

DucksAreCool

Feb 24, 2015
I saw one of the TSN analysts talking about how players aren't exited to be "the one" that brings a Stanley Cup to the Leafs but management and coaches are always dying to come to leafs and be the one.

Anyone that brings Stanley cup success to toronto would be a literal god and would be very highly touted in the hockey community and the largest fan base in hockey.

Babcock would literally be the man if he were to bring success to the Leafs.

Also he might be looking for a challenge and a younger team. Det is old and he has had great success there so he might be bored. Toronto is a much better city than Detroit.

Babcock also will be less criticized by the media as he is a proven coach and is team Canada's coach. Never will we have the question the media loves to shove down our throats " is it the coach or the team"

If we get Babcock I can bet we will win in the next 10 years given he stays.
This is false. Detroit is a contender with a younger core. The next five years the leas will most likely suck and detroit will most likely be contenders a few years In that timespan. He should let someone else go to toronto and get fired in four years and then consider it.

DucksAreCool

Feb 24, 2015
I will just have to point something out.
I am going to sit on the whole. "Nothing Happy or Lucky happens to Toronto" therefore. We are not winning the Lottery, we're not getting Stamkos and We're Not getting Babcock. get your Sadz faces on now. :)

but - this is the enticement if You were Babcock.

You have a very bad and sad team. who is rebuilding. Now. simply because you are rebuilding doesn't mean you wallow in the depth of 30-27 for 3 years and then strike out Calgary is the prime example of this. I mentioned in the "Why hasn't Nonis been fired Yet?" thread that maybe Shanahan is creating a "think tank" management group.

the set up (as it is) could be what is happening in Colorado. Roy has a huge voice. (and some might even say -the final voice) of what goes on. Shanahan, (whilst backing up the bigger Brinks truck than Illich) can go. Whatever Detroit offers you I can add 1 million more and - I give you a significant voice on roster control.

if say in 4-5 years, the team is "ready to challenge." (not contend). Babcock. (not management) looks like a genius. (and I think the egos in MLSE management would be very content to let that belief be true).

6-9 years if everything is done right, you've got (potentially) a good thing on your hands.

And it's happening here. Winning anywhere else, is not the same as Winning it in Toronto, and I think Babcock knows that. Add to that that he gets credit for actually "fixing" the team? The only way it possibly is "worse" than right now, is if they all collectively do worse than Edmonton - and considering how well they are playing now - Edmonton's problem this season flat out can be summed up as "Bad coaching, inconsistent goaltending, living in the west."

Toronto's issues would more than likely be "not developed yet."

There's no guarantee that you can go to [insert really good team here] and win multiple cups. You just have a good team. He easily could have stayed in Detroit. (and may do so). if it's coaching a young good team.

I think it's a multitude of the following:
1: his legacy. (why not, he's considered the best) & ego
2: his belief that he will be setting the new standard for coaching salaries. (because if Babcock who only has ONE cup can make say, 6 million. Quennville who has 2, Sutter who has 2 can make... how much?)
3: the draw of "fixing" Toronto. (drawing on point 1)
4: the draw of winning in Toronto.
5: being control of roster decisions.

I don't know what other team can offer him all of that. Boston? (if Chia/Julien are gone?) I think the only team that can offer him Roster control is Toronto. (to the point where most people can be comfortable backing off.

Now. LeBrun said Babcock has a razor thin patience for "rebuilding" so there is that. (but again. that is thinking you have to toil in the bottom for ages). if the Leafs are smart drafting then. maybe... (shrug)
If the leafs draft smart they're still four or five years away If they're tearing it all down.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
If this is year one of a multi-year rebuild, why should they go out and hire an expensive coach that wants to win?

It doesn't make any sense. Bring in a developmental coach that can bring young players along and let them grow.

Everybody talks about wanting a proper rebuild, but I really think the majority just want another quick fix.

Durkin67

If this is year one of a multi-year rebuild, why should they go out and hire an expensive coach that wants to win?

It doesn't make any sense. Bring in a developmental coach that can bring young players along and let them grow.

Everybody talks about wanting a proper rebuild, but I really think the majority just want another quick fix.

Because every coach should want to win. That doesn't mean win now.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think we increased our chances of getting him by doing a full blown rebuild.

He and whoever our GM is (likely Hunter) get full control of the roster.

Yes, we're going to rebuild but nobody really knows how long it takes to rebuild. We're not starting from scratch like we were in 2008.

Babcock won't have to babysit lazy millionaires like Phaneuf/Kessel/Lupul etc because they will be gone by the time he gets here, if he wants to come.

Control over young roster, money and legacy are three things we can offer Babcock. If we wants his name alongside Stan Bowman, there is no better way to do it than take the Leafs to the SCF win or lose.

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
The longer he goes unsigned with Detroit the more hopeful I get. Then again, he is the definition of a professional. He is likely entirely focused on the season at hand and trying to win another cup with the Wings. He could leave it till his contract expires, test the waters too see what he will be offered and then sign back with Detroit.

MLSE may be made of money but Detroit is in pretty good hands with Illitch as owner, he is worth $4.2 so he could compete against MLSE if he wants and everyone has a cuz off.

Babcock won't be paid $10m so they will bid to keep him if it comes down to it. The question is does he want to be the guy to win it here or is he happy continuing his legacy with the Red Wings.

Red Wings are also aging Datsyuk and Zetterburg probably retire in the next 2-3 years or start hitting the wall. They still need a blue liner to replace what they've lost in Lidstrom and will need someone else to go alongside Nyquist. Idk if they have anyone in their system that is of similar caliber. A retool may be on the horizon for Detroit. Not sure if Babcock wants to stick around for that.

Depending on how things go in the playoffs, I would think an early exit could cost Claude Julian his job, same with Hitchcock. Todd McLelan could be canned this year as well if the Sharks don't not only make the playoffs but get past the first round. There are other options out there for Babs that are potential winners.

CalgaryLeaf*

Before the season started I was all-in for hiring Babcock next season...Things have changed since then.

I don't think Babcock wants to leave a good situation in Detroit for a total rebuild in Toronto...Most likely he'll use the Leafs as leverage for a better deal with Ilitch but he has no intention of being the next Leafs coach.

FTR I'd still love to have him but he probably won't take the job.

AlmightyPO

Dec 13, 2009
London
I really hope he is coming as Babcock certainly fits the timeline of our team moving forward.

Having a coach of his stature in the organization from the very beginning would be huge for changing the culture of the whole organization. Hopefully by the draft we will have completed gutting the roster and will move our focus to adding pieces for the future. Even if it is not Babcock, we cannot make the same mistake as Edmonton and ultimately need a stable and respected voice behind the bench to ensure any incoming players develop in the right environment. Any coach we hire should be expected to be here for at least 5 years, the revolving door of coaches needs to end, and of our options Babcock is the best.

I think the major draw for Babcock is that he would become the centre of the team which is the centre of hockey, but without the negatives that usually surround the team. He would have all the time he needs to work (with limited scrutiny given his reputation and because the Leafs are in a rebuilding stage), a clean slate from which to build and run not only the Leafs but the entire organization's developmental program, and of course would set the bar for NHL coaching salaries.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
something that was just on the radio -Dreger was saying watch what happens in Anaheim, if they don't win, they might clean house. and Babs is looking at every situation carefully.

I wouldn't cry having Bruce "Super Toronto Maple Leafs Fan" Boudrearu being here.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Babcock isn't coming here. Dreger just said that he had a convo with Babcock in the summer and Mike said that if he was looking for a project than Detroit is a project and one that he is obviously very comfortable with. He is not going to get involved with a rebuild, he wants to win...Unless the Leafs offer him 20 million a year to coach he isn't coming here.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
He's said he wants to win on the biggest stage possible, and we can pay him more than anyone. If he thinks we're headed in the right direction then I think its entirely possible he comes here.

However, it would also be very easy for him to decide to go to another team in a big market that can also pay him well, that won't be such a long term project full of drama and BS.

Wait and see.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Babcock isn't coming here. Unless the Leafs offer him 20 million a year to coach he isn't coming here.
That is what this thread is about.
The Leafs *WILL* offer him a truck load with secret MEGA truckloads for playoffs and 5% of MLSE if he brings Lord Stanley.

This is about offering him essentially whatever he wants.

Still has hope? The longer Babcock goes unsigned the MORE hope we should have.
Like when he refused to negotiate with Detroit until the summer ?

A pipedream for Toronto is Stamkos.
Babcock in Toronto isn't pipedream territory. It's gotta spend alot territory.

And after this ****-storm of a year, the pocket book is Open.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I was thinking about this at lunch. Everyone from the media to the fans, to Shanahan saying this is going to be a long rebuild, expect years of losing before this gets better. With myself being the only one that believes the Leafs may still make the playoffs next year.

What better job in hockey to be known as the Coach that turned a 6 and lost team under Horachek into a playoff team in a year. Babcock would have zero pressure because we have all been led to believe it is hopeless next year.

I think he may sign on. He has a free gimme next year, and possibly one after that.

Babcock should take the money and perhaps look like a genius next year. It would be the smart thing to do. A no lose situation.

Grapes03

Feb 27, 2012
It will come down to money. As rich as MLSE is, I don't see them outbidding Mike Ilitch. It's always a bad idea to bet against Ilitch opening the bank to do what's necessary.

Durkin67

It will come down to money. As rich as MLSE is, I don't see them outbidding Mike Ilitch. It's always a bad idea to bet against Ilitch opening the bank to do what's necessary.

Disagree...He's getting paid wherever he signs. Its going to be about control. They need to give him the kind of term that makes it impossible for the team to undermine him.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
it's not just about money it's about the length of guaranteed contract - Wilbur thinks it has to 10 years or greater so he doesn't have to worry about the board...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
[/B]

Link? Or you hoping?

The notion that Babcock wants no part of a rebuild is dismissed by MLSE upper sources. They believe Babcock has the mentality of a mountain climber. He loves the great challenge. And this is comparable to being at the base of the impossible mountain.

“This is a man who loves challenges,†said an MLSE source. “What challenge in hockey is bigger than this?â€

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/02/28/leafs-believe-babcock-will-be-their-man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad