B1G Ten Media Deal is close to finish with the conference leaving ESPN

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
My other comparisons are valid though. Especially in regards to major bowl tie-ins. The Big 12 (nee Big 8) used to send its champion to the Orange Bowl, now they go to the Sugar Bowl.

But perhaps the biggest example is the Rose Bowl. It was for the longest time exclusive to the Big Ten and Pac-12. Now once every three years it is a CFP semifinal that isn't guaranteed to have teams from those conferences.

If we're going to be fine with non-traditional matchups at the Rose Bowl once every three years, then we can certainly be fine with UM-OSU at night.

Last edited:

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
My other comparisons are valid though. Especially in regards to major bowl tie-ins. The Big 12 (nee Big 8) used to send its champion to the Orange Bowl, now they go to the Sugar Bowl.

But perhaps the biggest example is the Rose Bowl. It was for the longest time exclusive to the Big Ten and Pac-12. Now once every three years it is a CFP semifinal that isn't guaranteed to have teams from those conferences.

If we're going to be fine with non-traditional matchups at the Rose Bowl once every three years, then we can certainly be fine with UM-OSU at night.

You might literally be the only person on the planet who likes this idea…

Also, who says we ARE fine with the Rose Bowl not always being Big Ten/Pac 10? I’m certainly not…don’t need another tradition taken away. And as an MSU fan, I hate both schools…still want the game played at noon…

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
You might literally be the only person on the planet who likes this idea…

Also, who says we ARE fine with the Rose Bowl not always being Big Ten/Pac 10? I’m certainly not…don’t need another tradition taken away. And as an MSU fan, I hate both schools…still want the game played at noon…
Maybe I'm confusing being fine with something with being accepting of something

Maybe it was the latter I am going for.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
This thread has talked in more circles than the Indy 500.

But for real, your dream will never come to fruition because you will just never understand that not all traditions need changed.

Reactions: DaveG

doublejman

Oct 28, 2016
One reason the big10 limits night games, many big10 stadiums are in neighborhoods. I would estimate about half (UW, Northwestern, Michigan, Iowa st. are just a few), I would guess a lot of these schools don’t want to upset locals with noise or drunks walking down the street after a game ends at 10 or so. Northwestern doesnt even have lights for its stadium.

Also the Big10 and Fox has done tons of research on which games would get the most viewers and in which time slot. At this point noon is by far the best slot for the big10. We know this by the ratings and the people in the stands. 3:30 and prime time you’re competing with everyone else. As for fans in the west coast or Hawaii they been conditioned wake up very early and watch or dvr. 80% of people in the US live in the Eastern and Central time zone and that is were a vast majority of the big10 fan base lives.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG and Spydey629

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

It has nothing to do with any of that. It’s all about business sense. Like I said, if Ohio State/Michigan wasn’t one of the biggest games of the year, every year, then it would get moved around because people - and the networks - wouldn’t care nearly as much. You should be rooting for both schools to go to shit so that Fox wants to air something else.

Reactions: mouser

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

Official now. No money in here but the rest of the details are with also basketball being a big part of it.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
I’ve read conflicting reports already. SBJ is saying it is $8B+ over seven years, the Athletic is saying it is north of $7B.

Either way, the conference is splitting over a billion per year.

Here’s the biggest chunk of meat from the Athletic article:

CBS, FOX and NBC will each televise designated Big Ten football championship games during the term of the agreements. Fox will broadcast the league’s title game in the odd years (2023, 2025, 2027 and 2029), while CBS will broadcast it in 2024 and 2028, and NBC will air it in 2026.

Fox/FS1 will carry up to 27 regular-season football games in 2023, then up to 32 games per year from 2024 onward. BTN will broadcast up to 41 games in 2023 and a maximum of 50 games per year afterward.

NBC will broadcast 16 regular-season Big Ten games in 2023 and then 15 games per year from 2024 onward. Games on NBC will simultaneously stream on Peacock. NBC will carry a primetime game on Black Friday as well.

Because the SEC will remain on CBS through the end of the 2023 season, the Big Ten will have a partial schedule on the network its first year. CBS will carry seven Big Ten football games as well as regular season and postseason men’s basketball as well as, for the first time, the women’s basketball tournament final. Starting in 2024, CBS will broadcast up to 15 Big Ten football games per season, including an afternoon game on Black Friday. All of those games will be broadcast on CBS, and every game CBS airs will also stream on Paramount+.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I’ve read conflicting reports already. SBJ is saying it is $8B+ over seven years, the Athletic is saying it is north of $7B.

Either way, the conference is splitting over a billion per year.

Here’s the biggest chunk of meat from the Athletic article:

CBS, FOX and NBC will each televise designated Big Ten football championship games during the term of the agreements. Fox will broadcast the league’s title game in the odd years (2023, 2025, 2027 and 2029), while CBS will broadcast it in 2024 and 2028, and NBC will air it in 2026.

Fox/FS1 will carry up to 27 regular-season football games in 2023, then up to 32 games per year from 2024 onward. BTN will broadcast up to 41 games in 2023 and a maximum of 50 games per year afterward.

NBC will broadcast 16 regular-season Big Ten games in 2023 and then 15 games per year from 2024 onward. Games on NBC will simultaneously stream on Peacock. NBC will carry a primetime game on Black Friday as well.

Because the SEC will remain on CBS through the end of the 2023 season, the Big Ten will have a partial schedule on the network its first year. CBS will carry seven Big Ten football games as well as regular season and postseason men’s basketball as well as, for the first time, the women’s basketball tournament final. Starting in 2024, CBS will broadcast up to 15 Big Ten football games per season, including an afternoon game on Black Friday. All of those games will be broadcast on CBS, and every game CBS airs will also stream on Paramount+.
A bit more:

Fox and FS1 will televise 24-27 Big Ten football games in 2023 and 30-32 games annually from 2024-29.

CBS will televise seven Big Ten football games in 2023 and 14-15 regular season games annually from 2024-29. Every CBS Big Ten football and basketball broadcast will be streamed on Paramount+.

NBC will televise 16 Big Ten football games annually in 2023-29, including prime-time games on Labor Day Sunday and Black Friday. All of NBC’s games will be simul-streamed on Peacock.

Peacock will televise eight Big Ten football games annually from 2023-29.

The Big Ten Network will broadcast 38-41 football games in 2023 and at least that many annually from 2024-29.

All of the Big Ten’s network partners, with the exception of NBC, will televise Big Ten men’s basketball games. The majority will be on the Big Ten Network (126 men’s basketball games) followed by Fox and FS1 (45 games), Peacock (32-to-47 games) and CBS (9-to-15 games).

The networks will also televise Big Ten’s women’s basketball games and Olympic sports contests.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Does this impact ESPN's schedule during hockey season? I remember they had games on Thursdays/Fridays for College Football. Does this allow for more national NHL games on ESPN/ESPN 2?

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Does this impact ESPN's schedule during hockey season? I remember they had games on Thursdays/Fridays for College Football. Does this allow for more national NHL games on ESPN/ESPN 2?

No. The Big Ten wasn’t a Thursday/Friday night conference for football with any network (for the most part), and any B1G slots will be filled by other conferences, especially the SEC in 2024.

The only real hockey aspect of the contract is to see if any new broadcasters add Big Ten hockey (other than the Big Ten Network) and how ESPN treats the Big Ten going forward. Unlike the NHL though, it will be hard to ignore the other side of the Top 2 NCAA conference coin.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The football aspect no. Those B10 games are getting replaced by the additional SEC games they are getting in 2024 and likely other conferences.

Losing the Big 10 basketball may open up slots. I think ESPN typically aired a big 10 game on Tuesdays. That in theory could be replaced by NHL games (or shifting games from other conferences, but unlike football they aren’t picking up other inventory at the same time).

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
If CBS, Fox, and NBC can alternate the Big Ten title game, then maybe they can alternate the UM-OSU game, so we get to see it at either noon, 3:30, or at night depending on what network has the game.

See I'm willing to compromise.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
If CBS, Fox, and NBC can alternate the Big Ten title game, then maybe they can alternate the UM-OSU game, so we get to see it at either noon, 3:30, or at night depending on what network has the game.

See I'm willing to compromise.

Not when Fox has the first pick each and every week. It is the biggest game on the Big Ten calendar year in, year out.

It will be at noon on Fox until at least 2030, just the same as how it’s been at noon for 98 for the last 100 years or so.

Reactions: DaveG and oknazevad

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Not when Fox has the first pick each and every week. It is the biggest game on the Big Ten calendar year in, year out.

It will be at noon on Fox until at least 2030, just the same as how it’s been at noon for 98 for the last 100 years or so.
It's certainly a better compromise than the one that kept the Browns out of the playoffs for 17 straight seasons.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Moronic management isn’t a compromise. It has though, compromised the team.

QB1 number 27(?) this year?
Had the NFL forced Art Modell to sell the Browns in 1996, and promised him an expansion team built from scratch in Baltimore, the Browns would have not only not shut down for three years (and in the process temporarily played home games at OSU), they would have probably been in the playoffs more frequently in the post-Modell era.

• Haha
Reactions: Spydey629

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Had the NFL forced Art Modell to sell the Browns in 1996, and promised him an expansion team built from scratch in Baltimore, the Browns would have not only not shut down for three years (and in the process temporarily played home games at OSU), they would have probably been in the playoffs more frequently in the post-Modell era.
Quit the excuses. The Jags & Texans have both made AFC title games in the last few years and the Panthers have been to two Super Bowls. The Browns are ran badly, that's why they're bad, not because they were an expansion team.

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
Quit the excuses. The Jags & Texans have both made AFC title games in the last few years and the Panthers have been to two Super Bowls. The Browns are ran badly, that's why they're bad, not because they were an expansion team.
When did the Texans make an AFC title game? I must have missed that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad