B1G Ten Media Deal is close to finish with the conference leaving ESPN

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
NBC should have the rights to the UM-OSU game and air it in primetime. Fox can't be trusted with the game since they would insist on airing it at noon.
The Ohio St-Michigan game has aired at noon for decades. The Big Ten doesn’t like late November night games because of the weather (my guess late season primetime games on NBC late in the season will be California based).

Anyways, as this will include basketball as well this could in theory open up timeslots potentially for the NHL on ESPN.

Reactions: DaveG and Spydey629

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The Ohio St-Michigan game has aired at noon for decades. The Big Ten doesn’t like late November night games because of the weather (my guess late season primetime games on NBC late in the season will be California based).

Anyways, as this will include basketball as well this could in theory open up timeslots potentially for the NHL on ESPN.
Because the Big Ten is going to be in LA, they will be hard pressed to allow all their schools to host night games in late November. UCLA and USC shouldn't be treated as special because of their location. The MAC, which is also mostly Midwestern, plays night games all throughout November even though most of them are on weeknights.

Meanwhile this opens the door for the first Notre Dame road games on NBC since 1965.

Notre Dame is tied to the ACC as a non-football member through 2036, and if they join the Big Ten at that time, they will again be a non-football member if they still have their own TV deal at that point, with an agreement to play 4 Big Ten schools each year, with an annual game against USC and the others rotating on a five-year schedule.

As far as basketball goes, ESPN will just increase the inventory of games from conferences they will continue to air.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
College sports will need every last bit of their old “traditions” moving forward from the strict amateurism era. Which won’t happen.

The Big Ten does have a disruptime opportunity to be a coast-to-coast conference that exists in every time zone and therefore has a chance to have a noon-to-night presence on Saturdays. Thing is, it appears USC and UCLA were added at the whim of Fox. If Fox will pay for a couple more western schools and a couple more eastern schools, the B1G can cement a new structure. But as I understand the rumor, what Fox did was to strike back at ESPN for “taking Texas and Oklahoma from them” by getting the B1G to take the LA schools from ESPN/ABC. To date, there’s not been a true grand plan.

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
We knew the SEC felt ABC was the best move for them We now see ABC feels like the Big Ten isn’t worth the money

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
I expected ABC and ESPN to lose a P5 league after gaining full control of the SEC, but it was the Big 12, not the Big Ten.

NBC should have UM-OSU so it can air at night. They are the only network that can be trusted with the game.

Meanwhile the CBS-produced B1G games in 2023 should be on The CW so that CBS can fulfill its commitment to the SEC that season.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
I expected ABC and ESPN to lose a P5 league after gaining full control of the SEC, but it was the Big 12, not the Big Ten.

NBC should have UM-OSU so it can air at night. They are the only network that can be trusted with the game.

Meanwhile the CBS-produced B1G games in 2023 should be on The CW so that CBS can fulfill its commitment to the SEC that season.

FOX will continue to get the "A" game in this agreement, and Ohio State vs Michigan will continue to be a big noon game. I also highly doubt the B1G will allow for their games to be flexed to the CW.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

Not again...

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Neither the Big Ten nor the SEC will sign on to having their 2023 CBS games air regionally. The CW is a good compromise. We're at the point where major broadcast networks no longer air CFB games that are exclusive to a particular region to the US. The times ABC does air regional coverage, it is just two games and there is a reverse mirror on one of the ESPN cable channels, allowing each market to carry one game on ABC and the other on ESPN/ESPN2.

Saying The CW is not a real network is like saying Fox News is a real news network.

Reactions: adsfan

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The only time I can recall the OSU/UM game being at night was 2006 when it was #1 vs #2.

Edit: Looks like it was a 3:30 kickoff instead.

Reactions: DaveG

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
The only time I can recall the OSU/UM game being at night was 2006 when it was #1 vs #2.

Edit: Looks like it was a 3:30 kickoff instead.
ABC probably regrets not being aggressive enough in getting the game onto Saturday Night Football which was in its first year. UM-OSU never aired on Saturday Night Football during the last 11 years ABC had the game.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Neither the Big Ten nor the SEC will sign on to having their 2023 CBS games air regionally. The CW is a good compromise. We're at the point where major broadcast networks no longer air CFB games that are exclusive to a particular region to the US. The times ABC does air regional coverage, it is just two games and there is a reverse mirror on one of the ESPN cable channels, allowing each market to carry one game on ABC and the other on ESPN/ESPN2.

Saying The CW is not a real network is like saying Fox News is a real news network.
Nexstar is buying the CW.

Reactions: oknazevad

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Even if they do (and they shouldn't, the deal could still fall apart at the 11th hour), Nexstar could still subcontract CBS Sports to produce sports programming on The CW, since it is longer established than Turner Sports.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The move of UM-OSU to primetime is long overdue. They already play each other at night in sports like hockey and basketball.
Football is not the same as hockey and basketball. Only way it’s happening is if another B1G matchup is more important in a given year, and that would take both Ohio State and Michigan having bad years, which just isn’t going to happen for the foreseeable future.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The move of UM-OSU to primetime is long overdue. They already play each other at night in sports like hockey and basketball.
My point is the fans in stands in mid November in Columbus or Ann Arbor might not want to get frostbite.
I was at the 1969 "Revenge" game in Ann Arbor, a 24-12 win for the home team over the #1 ranked Buckeyes. Even with a winter coat and a blanket, I was still cold sitting with a record crowd of 103,500 people on a breezy overcast day.

You are going to have the fans driving home at 10 or 11 PM. It takes a while to leave the stadium and get back to your car. I came from Toledo (1 hour away) the day of that game, but left Dayton (3 more hours away at 55 mph) the day before.

It turns cold the first time here in SE Wisconsin around October 10th or 15th. I do a 5K run around then and it was 34 F at 9 AM two years in a row before COVID hit. Ann Arbor has similar weather and Columbus turns cold about a week or two later because they are away from the Great Lakes.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
My point is the fans in stands in mid November in Columbus or Ann Arbor might not want to get frostbite.
I was at the 1969 "Revenge" game in Ann Arbor, a 24-12 win for the home team over the #1 ranked Buckeyes. Even with a winter coat and a blanket, I was still cold sitting with a record crowd of 103,500 people on a breezy overcast day.

You are going to have the fans driving home at 10 or 11 PM. It takes a while to leave the stadium and get back to your car. I came from Toledo (1 hour away) the day of that game, but left Dayton (3 more hours away at 55 mph) the day before.

It turns cold the first time here in SE Wisconsin around October 10th or 15th. I do a 5K run around then and it was 34 F at 9 AM two years in a row before COVID hit. Ann Arbor has similar weather and Columbus turns cold about a week or two later because they are away from the Great Lakes.
The MAC plays night games all through November most of them being on weeknights notwithstanding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad