B1G Ten Media Deal is close to finish with the conference leaving ESPN

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sounds like CBS is going to keep the SEC instead of selling off the last year of rights. Probably just not going to air big ten games until 2024.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
The B1G should be promoted to the Spice Channel.

Oregon football should be promoted to the Pyramid’s top step, the National Premier-Over-All-Y’all League along with the more northerly SPHL teams and the Savannah Bananas. The Super Bowl Winner can promote themselves into the NPOAYL if they can then beat both AUDL finalists at speed chess.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Good. God. No. Oregon is annoying. Heaven forbid they actually wear the same thing twice. Ever. Or actually turning on the TV and knowing who is playing by the uniforms being worn.

I’ll stick to white pants, black shoes, no logos on the helmets, and no names on the jerseys.
The following is a true story.

When I was going to Oregon, a speech class was required… so fall term 1985, my firs presentation was about college athletics and, I think, something about how curious it can be. One of the sources was a SI near-the-back-page piece that included the football coach at Texas Christian complaining that he lost a recruit who liked the Oregon uniforms better. I’m not even sure uniform deals were a major thing at the time; Oregon had the same kelly green and lemon-yellow uniforms for some years by then.

I should mention that the instructor asked me at the end “are you alright?” Seems I had footwork of a nervous nature (clearly I was not ready to tour with Earth Wind & Fire) and was somehow trying to drill a hole in my hand with the thumb of my other hand. Fortunately, the class was pass/fail.

You can go back to being annoyed now.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
The following is a true story.

When I was going to Oregon, a speech class was required… so fall term 1985, my firs presentation was about college athletics and, I think, something about how curious it can be. One of the sources was a SI near-the-back-page piece that included the football coach at Texas Christian complaining that he lost a recruit who liked the Oregon uniforms better. I’m not even sure uniform deals were a major thing at the time; Oregon had the same kelly green and lemon-yellow uniforms for some years by then.

I should mention that the instructor asked me at the end “are you alright?” Seems I had footwork of a nervous nature (clearly I was not ready to tour with Earth Wind & Fire) and was somehow trying to drill a hole in my hand with the thumb of my other hand. Fortunately, the class was pass/fail.

You can go back to being annoyed now.

Everyone has their personal preference.

And we all grew up thinking we ran faster and jumped higher the second we took those new tennies out of the box. I’ve heard the interviews with the kids that still get that “right out of the box” feeling every week.

Sounds like CBS is going to keep the SEC instead of selling off the last year of rights. Probably just not going to air big ten games until 2024.

CBS is airing them, just not at 3:30 every Saturday. My guess is that it is going to be a mix & match with NBC, pending on Notre Dame’s home schedule; with a bunch of C-D level games at noon against Fox.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
As an example, last year's Thanksgiving weekend Big Noon game on Fox could have been Oklahoma at Oklahoma State since both were in the top 10, which would have facilitated OSU-UM at night.

After all, daytime football is highly overrated. The night is where it is at.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
As an example, last year's Thanksgiving weekend Big Noon game on Fox could have been Oklahoma at Oklahoma State since both were in the top 10, which would have facilitated OSU-UM at night.

By who?

The Big Ten plays day games late in the year, get over it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Simple analysis of the viewership data from last season does not support your claim that the biggest games must be in prime time or even that daytime college football is ‘highly overrated,’ in fact, you objectively underrate it.

Three regular season games last year did a rating of over 5, none of them were played in prime time - and two of them were on the same day (Saturday after Thanksgiving), and two of them were Fox big noon games. Michigan/Michigan State (5.1), Alabama/Auburn (5.3), and Ohio State/Michigan (8.1!!). The ABC prime time game won the week just one time all season, and it was week 1 where they had a top 5 matchup (Georgia/Clemson). There was a bunch of weeks it wasn’t even the highest rated or most watched game on ABC. A few times it was beaten by ESPN, including a week where the ESPN/ABC had the top 4 games, and the ABC prime time game was 4th (ESPN beat it with a Tennessee/Alabama 7pm game).

Ohio/Michigan did nearly 16 million viewers, Iron Bowl the only other to be over 10. The next week during championship week, when Fox DID have their top (only) game in prime time game (Michigan/Iowa), it did do the ratings and viewers they would want, but CBS still beat them with Alabama/Georgia in the afternoon. So, no, prime time is not where it’s at, the best matchups is where it’s at, and it doesn’t really matter which of the three time slots it’s in. Until we somehow move into a world where neither Ohio State or Michigan are national powers (which is to say they feel that a year ahead of time), you’re trying to fix a problem that doesn’t exist with a solution that’s not based on any evidence or even a tangible strategy.

Also, if Fox did as you say, they would not have aired Ohio State/Michigan because ESPN would’ve taken it. In the new deal, CBS would take it.

College Football (probably basketball too) is the only sport where the actual matchup is king. Probably because great matchups are so rare (or they seem that way since there’s so much college football on tv that it’s watered down).

By the way, looking at Notre Dame’s ratings after they lost to Cincinnati, even at 1 loss, they were never in the top 5 after that. NBC is wise to get in on this.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Also, we're putting a hell of a lot of focus into a game that's mattered like twice in the last 20 years.
The real big factor was both teams were in on the playoff, yes. But as long as there’s playoff implications for one, it’s going to draw, as does the vast majority of other games mostly all season, especially if they’re actually in the top 4. It’s just rare you get to November and there’s playoff implications for both teams in any one single game aside from championship week.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Simple analysis of the viewership data from last season does not support your claim that the biggest games must be in prime time or even that daytime college football is ‘highly overrated,’ in fact, you objectively underrate it.

Three regular season games last year did a rating of over 5, none of them were played in prime time - and two of them were on the same day (Saturday after Thanksgiving), and two of them were Fox big noon games. Michigan/Michigan State (5.1), Alabama/Auburn (5.3), and Ohio State/Michigan (8.1!!). The ABC prime time game won the week just one time all season, and it was week 1 where they had a top 5 matchup (Georgia/Clemson). There was a bunch of weeks it wasn’t even the highest rated or most watched game on ABC. A few times it was beaten by ESPN, including a week where the ESPN/ABC had the top 4 games, and the ABC prime time game was 4th (ESPN beat it with a Tennessee/Alabama 7pm game).

Ohio/Michigan did nearly 16 million viewers, Iron Bowl the only other to be over 10. The next week during championship week, when Fox DID have their top (only) game in prime time game (Michigan/Iowa), it did do the ratings and viewers they would want, but CBS still beat them with Alabama/Georgia in the afternoon. So, no, prime time is not where it’s at, the best matchups is where it’s at, and it doesn’t really matter which of the three time slots it’s in. Until we somehow move into a world where neither Ohio State or Michigan are not national powers (which is to say they feel that a year ahead of time), you’re trying to fix a problem that doesn’t exist with a solution that’s not based on any evidence or even a tangible strategy.

Also, if Fox did as you say, they would not have aired Ohio State/Michigan because ESPN would’ve taken it. In the new deal, CBS would take it.

College Football (probably basketball too) is the only sport where the actual matchup is king. Probably because great matchups are so rare (or they seem that way since there’s so much college football on tv that it’s watered down).

By the way, looking at Notre Dame’s ratings after they lost to Cincinnati, even at 1 loss, they were never in the top 5 after that. NBC is wise to get in on this.
I don't care as much about ratings. I've been wanting UM-OSU at night for almost 20 years now. I realized many things are better at night the minute I watched the SpongeBob episode "Graveyard Shift" for the first time.

If the Big 12 and/or Big Ten have another attractive matchup on Thanksgiving Saturday not named UM-OSU, that should be the Big Noon game that day, not UM-OSU which should be at night. Like last year when Bedlam was a top 10 matchup. There was no reason to let ABC have that game. I realize the Pac-12 also wants to play noon ET games but given the locations of their teams it is not a good idea, which hasn't stopped them from doing it. One of them was a Sunday game in 2020 (COVID) which went opposite church services on the West Coast. The NFL does not permit MT/PT teams to host games in the 1 PM ET slot for that very reason.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Also, Big Noon Saturday was introduced in 2019. The Big Noon game for Thanksgiving Saturday that year should have been Wisconsin at Minnesota. UM-OSU was not played in 2020 due to the pandemic.

And with the upcoming moves of BYU to the Big 12 and UCLA and USC to the Big Ten, we are entering uncharted waters. Up through this season, the PCC/AAWU/Pac-8/10/12 has never had to share any of its footprint with another power conference, both current (ACC, MVIAA/Big 6/7/8/12, Big Ten, SEC) and defunct (Big East, SWC). This was because of the locations of the states the Pac-12 and its predecessors had members in, being far from the bulk of the major conference schools in the East (which is ET/CT). The only power Western school not in the Pac, Colorado, joined in 2011. Come 2024 the Pac-12 will share two states with other Power 5 conferences. This is truly a new era in college football history,

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't care as much about ratings. I've been wanting UM-OSU at night for almost 20 years now. I realized many things are better at night the minute I watched the SpongeBob episode "Graveyard Shift" for the first time.

If the Big 12 and/or Big Ten have another attractive matchup on Thanksgiving Saturday not named UM-OSU, that should be the Big Noon game that day, not UM-OSU which should be at night. Like last year when Bedlam was a top 10 matchup. There was no reason to let ABC have that game. I realize the Pac-12 also wants to play noon ET games but given the locations of their teams it is not a good idea, which hasn't stopped them from doing it. One of them was a Sunday game in 2020 (COVID) which went opposite church services on the West Coast. The NFL does not permit MT/PT teams to host games in the 1 PM ET slot for that very reason.
SpongeBob? Is this a put-on or something? You can’t be serious. You’re not arguing what should be you’re arguing what you want, arbitrarily so given they should do virtually any of the things you’re saying out of simple business sense.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
SpongeBob? Is this a put-on or something? You can’t be serious. You’re not arguing what should be you’re arguing what you want, arbitrarily so given they should do virtually any of the things you’re saying out of simple business sense.
Having UM-OSU at night would also be better for fans of those schools on the West Coast. A noon start ET is 9 AM PT, 8 AM AT, and 7 AM HAT. Not ideal for fans in those states. In fact, there needs to be a serious cutback on noon games on broadcast networks, given that western Fox and ABC affiliates need to have the ability to televise government-mandated E/I programming on Saturday mornings that leads in to CFB broadcasts in the East. Noon games should only be on cable, where sports-devoted networks usually only have one feed based on the ETZ.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Having UM-OSU at night would also be better for fans of those schools on the West Coast. A noon start ET is 9 AM PT, 8 AM AT, and 7 AM HAT. Not ideal for fans in those states. In fact, there needs to be a serious cutback on noon games on broadcast networks, given that western Fox and ABC affiliates need to have the ability to televise government-mandated E/I programming on Saturday mornings that leads in to CFB broadcasts in the East. Noon games should only be on cable, where sports-devoted networks usually only have one feed based on the ETZ.

You're more exhausting than a 3 year old that keeps asking "why?".

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
I make a lot of good points. Of course the Cotton Bowl Stadium should also install permanent lights so that OU/Texas, which Fox will be losing access to soon, can also be at night but that's another discussion.

If I was an OSU fan living in Hawaii, I would not want to get up at 6 or 7 AM local time (depending on if DST is in effect) just to see my team play. I'm not a morning person. Many people aren't. I used to get up around those times quite a lot for school or Saturday morning cartoons, but now that's all in the past. Now I get up at 11:30 AM every day, and that is mainly because I don't work due to being disabled.

Fox airs most of their night games at 8 PM ET. UM-OSU at that time would be 5 PM PT, 4 PM AT, and 3 PM HAT. Much better for West Coast fans.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
West coast viewing is obviously not an issue if the higher rated games are coming during the east coast afternoon. You can also air E/I programming as early as 6am, the FCC has largely relaxed most of those rules anyways.

Hawaii is a zero factor here.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If I was an OSU fan living in Hawaii, I would not want to get up at 6 or 7 AM local time (depending on if DST is in effect) just to see my team play. I'm not a morning person. Many people aren't. I used to get up around those times quite a lot for school or Saturday morning cartoons, but now that's all in the past. Now I get up at 11:30 AM every day, and that is mainly because I don't work due to being disabled.

What if you’re a OSU fan living in western Europe such as England? Noon game starts at 5pm local England time. Shift those OSU games to 7pm and now our poor London OSU fan has to start watching at midnight.

Reactions: DaveG

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
I make a lot of good points. Of course the Cotton Bowl Stadium should also install permanent lights so that OU/Texas, which Fox will be losing access to soon, can also be at night but that's another discussion.

Fox airs most of their night games at 8 PM ET. UM-OSU at that time would be 5 PM PT, 4 PM AT, and 3 PM HAT. Much better for West Coast fans.

No. No you don’t. You have no argument, other than your personal preference, which is to apparently allow yourself to sleep past noon on Thanksgiving weekend and not miss OSU-Michigan (DVR is your friend!!).

As the saying goes, “Better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and prove it.” And you just keep talking…

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
UM-OSU moving from noon to night is also an example of traditions being allowed to fall by the wayside, much like Augusta National refusing to admit women, not staging the NFL title game in a neutral site. and strictly adhering to conference tie-ins at the major bowls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad