Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Really close here but I give the edge to Byram due to his better all around game potential. I think Hughes will be the better offensive defenseman but I also think the discrepancy between the two players on that front will be much less than the discrepancy between their defensive games with Byram having the edge there.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Let’s say Hughes develops into a 60 point Dman (which would be a really good scenario for him) what does that make him? Torey Krug? Tyson Barrie? People need to calm down with Hughes.

Reactions: Dominance

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Let’s say Hughes develops into a 60 point Dman (which would be a really good scenario for him) what does that make him? Torey Krug? Tyson Barrie? People need to calm down with Hughes.
People are allowed to prefer Hughes.

Reactions: cgf

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Easily Hughes, surprised that he is losing. I've watched Byram 10+ times live, he is amazing, but Hughes is already in the NHL.
How can you even make that argument when there is literally no way for Byram to be in the NHL? Hughes went back for his D+1 year while Byram is going to be in the NHL this October.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Byram is going to be a monster, but you can't go wrong with either.

Byram easily for me, but it's real close

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
How can you even make that argument when there is literally no way for Byram to be in the NHL? Hughes went back for his D+1 year while Byram is going to be in the NHL this October.

eehhhhhhh

image.jpg

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

God forbid he tilt the ice for his team regardless of whom he's on the ice with, for 25 minutes a night down the stretch, while scoring at an elite rate...people need to educate themselves about Barrie before trying to use him as a negative comparison.

But nah, Hughes upside is even higher than that. He's even more slippery & creative with the puck than Tyson was as a young pup...although Tyson has developed a high-end shot that I dunno if Hughes will ever be able to match. But he doesn't need to still be able to hit an even higher level of impact than Barrie; who just anchored the blueline of a team that was a game 7 away from the WCFs.

Both have very legit top pairing potential, but I just don't see Bowen's advantage against the puck outweigh Hughes' offensive & his transition-game advantage. Turning every misplaced pass, lost puck battle or race to a loose puck, and shot that doesn't result in a scramble/stoppage; into a chance to break out with #s is a great way to neuter opposing teams offensively.

Fortunately, with Makar & Barrie, the avs blueline is beautifully set up to tilt the ice for us & let Byram & Girard focus on using their skating to cut teams off in transition, while their partners on the right take care of the danger creation to let us run teams ragged for 45+ minutes a night.

Reactions: Grantham

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
God forbid he tilt the ice for his team regardless of whom he's on the ice with, for 25 minutes a night down the stretch, while scoring at an elite rate...people need to educate themselves about Barrie before trying to use him as a negative comparison.

But nah, Hughes upside is even higher than that. He's even more slippery & creative with the puck than Tyson was as a young pup...although Tyson has developed a high-end shot that I dunno if Hughes will ever be able to match. But he doesn't need to still be able to hit an even higher level of impact than Barrie; who just anchored the blueline of a team that was a game 7 away from the WCFs.

Both have very legit top pairing potential, but I just don't see Bowen's advantage against the puck outweigh Hughes' offensive & his transition-game advantage. Turning every misplaced pass, lost puck battle or race to a loose puck, and shot that doesn't result in a scramble/stoppage; into a chance to break out with #s is a great way to neuter opposing teams offensively.

Fortunately, with Makar & Barrie, the avs blueline is beautifully set up to tilt the ice for us & let Byram & Girard focus on using their skating to cut teams off in transition, while their partners on the right take care of the danger creation to let us run teams ragged for 45+ minutes a night.
He also mentioned Krug aswell who is better than Barrie. I think he meant to say that Hughes like those guys will always be players that gamble and take risk. Whereas Byram will probably end up more of a player that manages risk and picks less dangerous spots to jump in on the play.

Both Krug and Barrie and great players but more 2/3's. I get what he's saying there although I think Hughes has more offensive potential than those two regardless of how hard they will be to top.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He also mentioned Krug aswell who is better than Barrie. I think he meant to say that Hughes like those guys will always be players that gamble and take risk. Whereas Byram will probably end up more of a player that manages risk and picks less dangerous spots to jump in on the play.

Both Krug and Barrie and great players but more 2/3's. I get what he's saying there although I think Hughes has more offensive potential than those two regardless of how hard they will be to top.

Barrie is more of a #1 than EJ or Noah Hanifin :dunno:

Don't EK & Burns fit this same prototype as well, and I don't think anyone denies that they've been #1s.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Barrie is more of a #1 than EJ or Noah Hanifin :dunno:

Don't EK & Burns fit this same prototype as well, and I don't think anyone denies that they've been #1s.
EK and Burns are fairly special in that regard. None of Barrie, Krug or EJ/Hannifin are so I'm not sure I get you're point? Is EJ your Byram comp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad