Proposal: Bärtschi for Sam Reinhart?

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
No way Buffalo would do this trade and not sure if 'nucks want to even if they do. Chemistry is something important and Bartschi seems to have good chemistry with Horvat/Boeser. Plus if you're worried about Bartschi's contract... wouldn't you be just as worried about Reinhart's contract if he actually plays well? After all he's a RFA at the end of the year too and if he rebounds, likely would command more money than Baertschi's current contract (signed after a 28 point season, Reinhart had 2x 40+ point seasons).

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
No way Buffalo would do this trade and not sure if 'nucks want to even if they do. Chemistry is something important and Bartschi seems to have good chemistry with Horvat/Boeser. Plus if you're worried about Bartschi's contract... wouldn't you be just as worried about Reinhart's contract if he actually plays well? After all he's a RFA at the end of the year too and if he rebounds, likely would command more money than Baertschi's current contract (signed after a 28 point season, Reinhart had 2x 40+ point seasons).

Contract wise, you can give Reinhart a 2 year bridge.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
I'm one of Baertschi's biggest defenders, and I like him a lot, but I'd do this trade with ease. Buffalo on the other mostly would want younger players or picks of equal value. Reinhart has put up two 40+ point seasons, regardless of who he has played with, and I'm pretty sure he can play RW too.

X-Petersson-Boeser
X-Horvat-Reinhart

would make for a decent future top 6 on this team.

Goldobin takes one of the left wing spots, with Virtanen possibly taking some shifts there too.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Contract wise, you can give Reinhart a 2 year bridge.

Except do you really think that would really be much cheaper than what Bartschi gets? Baertschi is on pace for a career year but remember he hasn't had > 40 pts in a season yet nor > 20 goals. Reinhart has done both already in his career despite having a down year. He actually scored 47 points last year and 23 goals in his rookie season (42 pts). Reinhart probably wouldn't sign a 2 year bridge deal... maybe a 1 year deal if he continues a down year just to increase his value/prove this was an off year.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I'd have to say, 'no.'

For one thing - The Sabres wouldn't make that deal.

Secondly - the Canucks will give Pettersson every opportunity to grow and develop so that he our 1st or 2nd line center (Horvat being the other). With Reinhart here, you'd just create an unnecessary lock jam. The only Top 6 center the Canucks should consider getting at this point is a short stop gap center that can be a temporary placeholder until Pettersson is ready to play Top 6.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I'd have to say, 'no.'

For one thing - The Sabres wouldn't make that deal.

Secondly - the Canucks will give Pettersson every opportunity to grow and develop so that he our 1st or 2nd line center (Horvat being the other). With Reinhart here, you'd just create an unnecessary lock jam. The only Top 6 center the Canucks should consider getting at this point is a short stop gap center that can be a temporary placeholder until Pettersson is ready to play Top 6.
Reinhart is a winger. And a better one than Baertschi.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Reinhart is a winger. And a better one than Baertschi.

I'm not sure that Reinhart is only a winger long-term.

In any case, having 3 good scoring centres is certainly better than having only 2 good scoring centres. In fact, that would be the reason to get him, not the detriment to getting him.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Reinhart grew up in west van.... poor thing must hate it in Buffalo. I think we can offer up Sven+ for him. I'm all for this trade if Buffalo's seen enough of him.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Reinhart grew up in west van.... poor thing must hate it in Buffalo. I think we can offer up Sven+ for him. I'm all for this trade if Buffalo's seen enough of him.

I dont care if he grew up in my backyard. I only care if he can play or not. Dont need another Virtanen situation. They arent taking Baertschi in a deal for Reinhart. I think thats pretty obvious. What does Baertschi do for that team long term?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I dont care if he grew up in my backyard. I only care if he can play or not. Dont need another Virtanen situation. They arent taking Baertschi in a deal for Reinhart. I think thats pretty obvious. What does Baertschi do for that team long term?

His existence made it harder to sign young UFAs. Kerfoot(*) for example didn't want to sign here with players like Gagner clogging up the roster for 3 years and reducing opportunity for players like Kerfoot. That's fine if you are going for it, not so much for a rebuilding/retooling/whatever the canucks are doing team.

(* disclaimer: I didn't expect such good results from Kerfoot)

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006

I wasn't clear. I think Reinhart is the type of player that will excel when he's comfortable. He has high IQ, I believe a change in scenery from Buffalo to back home has a high probability to get his career back on track. Baertschi + can clear the way for a top 6 forward for them.

Verbalyst

Jan 9, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I've watched most NHL games Reinhart has played being a Canucks fan living in Buffalo. He has a high IQ but he would be an absolutely awful fit in Vancouver. People complain about guys like Gagner being here but right now I don't see too much of a difference between the two.

Samson Reinhart is much better defensively but he's a passenger on a nightly basis. In his 40+ seasons most of his points were on a very good PP with him being the net front presence. There was a running joke around here that he doesn't score goals by shooting. Mostly deflections and rebounds.

He's not a centre at the NHL level. He's much more engaged on the RW. Tonight he was given the Virtanen treatment buried on the 4th line. Only played 9 minutes and the Sabres looked like a much better, competitive team because of it.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I've watched most NHL games Reinhart has played being a Canucks fan living in Buffalo. He has a high IQ but he would be an absolutely awful fit in Vancouver. People complain about guys like Gagner being here but right now I don't see too much of a difference between the two.

Samson Reinhart is much better defensively but he's a passenger on a nightly basis. In his 40+ seasons most of his points were on a very good PP with him being the net front presence. There was a running joke around here that he doesn't score goals by shooting. Mostly deflections and rebounds.

He's not a centre at the NHL level. He's much more engaged on the RW. Tonight he was given the Virtanen treatment buried on the 4th line. Only played 9 minutes and the Sabres looked like a much better, competitive team because of it.

he wasn't that way in Kootenay. Thats why I think he would be a prime candidate to benefit from a trade back home, unlike say E.Kane, where i think a trade home would be detrimental to his professional life. When he's playing 9:09, that means we can possibly get him at a premium.

Verbalyst

Jan 9, 2007
Buffalo, NY
he wasn't that way in Kootenay. Thats why I think he would be a prime candidate to benefit from a trade back home, unlike say E.Kane, where i think a trade home would be detrimental to his professional life. When he's playing 9:09, that means we can possibly get him at a premium.

He still has a ton of value around the league. He just lacks athleticism. Thats his biggest issue. I always had worries about his game translating to the NHL level. Sometimes it clicks for him. He'll show a flash of 2nd overall talent. Those days are rare tho. Personally, I wouldn't be willing to give what would be the price for him.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Bartschi is a good player, but is he worth the contract he's going to get next year? Could his production be offset by Goldobin or someone else cheaper? Reinhart is being wasted in Buffalo and could be solid down the middle.
Please post that on the main board..I want to see what happens

Verbalyst

Jan 9, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Reinhart has been played down the middle and has been given every opportunity to prove he's an nhler center. He's just not. His face-off % is below 40%. He looks out of place almost everywhere except for on RW with Eichel.

Samson isn't a bad player by any means. I think he'd be particularly good on a veteran team where he can just be a complimentary player. He just isn't worth the price that is going to be paid to acquire him. Especially for this team. I'd prefer to keep our young assets, instead of taking the risk on him.

Reactions: biturbo19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad