News Article: AZCentral: Arizona Coyotes' Dave Tippett motivated to redeem Coyotes

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Where did most fans predict Vancouver, Calgary, LA, and SJ would finish last year? I highly doubt it was anywhere near the position that they finished in. I think the Coyotes can compete with most teams on any given night as it's not only paper skill that determines the winner of most games. I'm not saying they won't finish last but I think they can do much better.

Calgary in the playoffs and L.A. out were certainly unexpected. S.J was on the decline and Vancouver was improved, so those weren't major upsets. Colorado was a big surprise a year ago. This year, I think Chicago could take a big step back because they lost so much veteran talent. Anything could happen because of injuries, and a hot or cold goalie to any team. Too hard to say which team will over achieve this year versus predictions.

My point was with a predicted, guaranteed last place finish, it will be hard to judge Tip based on results with our talent level. I kind of think DM and the ownership group need to get the better players issue figured out way more than Tip needs to figure out how to coach or who gets minutes.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Calgary in the playoffs and L.A. out were certainly unexpected. S.J was on the decline and Vancouver was improved, so those weren't major upsets. Colorado was a big surprise a year ago. This year, I think Chicago could take a big step back because they lost so much veteran talent. Anything could happen because of injuries, and a hot or cold goalie to any team. Too hard to say which team will over achieve this year versus predictions.

My point was with a predicted, guaranteed last place finish, it will be hard to judge Tip based on results with our talent level. I kind of think DM and the ownership group need to get the better players issue figured out way more than Tip needs to figure out how to coach or who gets minutes.

The only metrics tip should be judged by are if the team tries every night, and how much the youth improves. Regardless of where we finish if the team phones it in half the time and/or if the young guys don't progress he should be canned.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The only metrics tip should be judged by are if the team tries every night, and how much the youth improves. Regardless of where we finish if the team phones it in half the time and/or if the young guys don't progress he should be canned.

I agree. This year you can throw the wins out the window. I really would like to see three rookies make the team this year.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

So last year was definitely a knock on him as the team completely gave up.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

And the year before. Motivation seems to be a problem. There were many instances where they got the **** kicked out of them, had Tippett all flustered, and then came out completely flat the next game. No pushback. That's on the leadership and coaching.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Yup. I was on the fire Tippett train last year, and still am until he proves he can successfully work our youth into the lineup and get the team back to high effort hockey every night.
And the year before. Motivation seems to be a problem. There were many instances where they got the **** kicked out of them, had Tippett all flustered, and then came out completely flat the next game. No pushback. That's on the leadership and coaching.

Definitely.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Calgary was the surprise of the year last year and predicted by almost no one. Vancouver was predicted on here to be easy pickings for everyone and the Sedins were done. LA expected out of playoffs after Cup win??? You have some selective memory on these expectations.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

And I will repeat the same thing that I said before: context

I would talk with another hf poster at the games all the time (huhwhtfkr) - one of the big statements that he mentioned was now that the team has an owner, he hoped that it didn't work against them from the perspective of a rallying point. Before, the team could lean on the fact that it was them against the world. Once we had ownership, the weight off the backs could have actually been the worst thing.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
St. Dave, who led us to the conference Finals and 3 playoff appearances, and Dino Dave, who is stifling the development of the team and espouses boring hockey.

When cupboards were bare and there was no hope to be had, Dave did what Dave does. Now that there is young talent to be utilized, let's hope that Dave doesn't do what Dave does.

Adapt, Dave. Adapt!

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
When cupboards were bare and there was no hope to be had, Dave did what Dave does. Now that there is young talent to be utilized, let's hope that Dave doesn't do what Dave does.

Adapt, Dave. Adapt!
Well hopefully Dave only did what Dave does because the cupboards were indeed bare. We shall see though, a very telling season is about to be upon us.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
"My wife likes it here, and I can't leave $ 6M on the table without a guarantee I can sign somewhere else. However, management made it clear they won't let talk to other teams. So yeah, I'm still here."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad