News Article: AZCentral: Arizona Coyotes' Dave Tippett motivated to redeem Coyotes

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Just another garbage piece by the Arizona Republic.

th

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Good article, more encouraging comments from Tippett about the youth. Still hoping last year was a wakeup call for our entire front office and coaching staff.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Didn't finish the article (my attention span isn't very good after not sleeping last night) but when she was detailing how competitive a person DT is I had the phrase "compete level" just stuck in my head the whole time.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Didn't finish the article (my attention span isn't very good after not sleeping last night) but when she was detailing how competitive a person DT is I had the phrase "compete level" just stuck in my head the whole time.

The article had lots of try.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Here's the problem:
Instead of vacationing as soon as the season ended, Tippett remained tethered to the Coyotes and didn’t unplug until after the team’s prospect development camp in mid-July. He studied game footage, traveled to the NHL draft and monitored the moves made in free agency.

“I thought it was very important to stay very attached to where things were, more to give myself the confidence that we are going to move in the right direction,” Tippett said.

Since the Coyotes had already decided by that time to try to compete for a playoff spot next season instead of bracing for a mounting pile of losses like some rebuilding teams do, much of the assurance Tippett needed came from ownership.

I was hoping to hear something more along the lines of "Tippett looking to evolve as a coach; aiming to become more of an instructional coach". Instead, they think this is a playoff team.

“Right now, nobody would even think of picking them,” Tippett said.

When they miss for the fourth year in a row, they should clean house.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Since the Coyotes had already decided by that time to try to compete for a playoff spot next season instead of bracing for a mounting pile of losses like some rebuilding teams do, much of the assurance Tippett needed came from ownership.

Haha.

IA are total clowns.

Also doubly funny when you consider their idea of competing for a playoff spot is everybody they brought back.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
It's like they're expecting career years from the rookies and Mike Smith to play like it's 2012

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Haha.

IA are total clowns.

Also doubly funny when you consider their idea of competing for a playoff spot is everybody they brought back.

Really bothers me when fans call these kind of organizations ''clowns.'' You may not like the people running the show, but to call these successful people clowns is just plain stupid.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Really bothers me when fans call these kind of organizations ''clowns.'' You may not like the people running the show, but to call these successful people clowns is just plain stupid.

So which one of the clowns are you? :sarcasm:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Haha. Not sure why Dave Tippett gets to be king of the castle. He's had one long playoff run ever. Mostly he's been a coach who just gets bounced in the first round. As far as NHL coaches go, the most unique thing about Dave Tippett is the seemingly endlessly long leash he gets when it comes to running his entire team and answering to no one.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Haha. Not sure why Dave Tippett gets to be king of the castle. He's had one long playoff run ever. Mostly he's been a coach who just gets bounced in the first round. As far as NHL coaches go, the most unique thing about Dave Tippett is the seemingly endlessly long leash he gets when it comes to running his entire team and answering to no one.

Pretty sure he has the long leash for the exact reasons mentioned in the article.

Competitive.
Players want to play for him.
Hard worker.

I know last year, people bandied about whether or not Tippett lost the locker room. I may have even thought so myself. But to be honest, I think we just simply played to our floor way too often as individuals. Part of that was b/c of the team we had, but I also think that players who were supposed to be/get better in theory simply didn't. And if there were players lost in the locker room, they may have been traded at the deadline as well.

Coaching is not easy in any way.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona

How many years is it going to take, before somebody starts holding him accountable?

His record over the last 3 seasons (212 games) is worse than Wayne Gretzky's, during his last 3 seasons with the Coyotes. Wayne Gretzky.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Pretty sure he has the long leash for the exact reasons mentioned in the article.

Competitive.
Players want to play for him.
Hard worker.

Those are descriptors used for any given NHL coach.

You don't get to the pinnacle of the sport by enjoying losing, losing the room, or being lazy.

The problem with Tippett is that he has a disproportionate amount of power with this organization. He talks a big game but he falls back on the same gameplan and has shown zero flexibility or innovation. He gets big early returns - especially with veteran rosters - because his system works until there is tape to coach against. Doesn't help that along the way he probably isn't the best at developing offensive talent, something you need to win in this league.

I maintain that he is easy to coach against which is why his teams encounter diminishing returns and why he struggles in the playoffs absent an absurdly hot goalie.

Newell Brown may or may not want to be a head coach but I'd feel a lot better with him at the helm. May just get that if the start is ugly.

His record over the last 3 seasons (212 games) is worse than Wayne Gretzky's, during his last 3 seasons with the Coyotes. Wayne Gretzky.

Really didn't need to hear that. Thanks.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Those are descriptors used for any given NHL coach.

You don't get to the pinnacle of the sport by enjoying losing, losing the room, or being lazy.

The problem with Tippett is that he has a disproportionate amount of power with this organization. He talks a big game but he falls back on the same gameplan and has shown zero flexibility or innovation. He gets big early returns - especially with veteran rosters - because his system works until there is tape to coach against. Doesn't help that along the way he probably isn't the best at developing offensive talent, something you need to win in this league.

I maintain that he is easy to coach against which is why his teams encounter diminishing returns and why he struggles in the playoffs absent an absurdly hot goalie.

Newell Brown may or may not want to be a head coach but I'd feel a lot better with him at the helm. May just get that if the start is ugly.

Really didn't need to hear that. Thanks.

But there are coaches (not limited to the NHL) that have given up when the going gets tough. As was said in the article, he showed ways to stay positive. If he didn't try to stay positive, I would constitute that as being lazy. Let's face it, no one enjoys losing, but there are people in charge who concede to "mailing it in" and that leads to losing a locker room/losing respect. When a coach walks into the room, a player can tell whether or not he cares. A gameplan may be created, but that in no way guarantees that the coach hasn't given in to the outcome. Demeanor and attitude mean a lot.

I don't know how he has a disproportionate amount of power. The interview even states that he does the most possible with what he is given. If he had a disproportionate amount of power, he would be leading the charge for who to get in the offseason, etc. He is a part of that, but not the entire committee.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
But there are coaches (not limited to the NHL) that have given up when the going gets tough. As was said in the article, he showed ways to stay positive. If he didn't try to stay positive, I would constitute that as being lazy. Let's face it, no one enjoys losing, but there are people in charge who concede to "mailing it in" and that leads to losing a locker room/losing respect. When a coach walks into the room, a player can tell whether or not he cares. A gameplan may be created, but that in no way guarantees that the coach hasn't given in to the outcome. Demeanor and attitude mean a lot.

I don't know how he has a disproportionate amount of power. The interview even states that he does the most possible with what he is given. If he had a disproportionate amount of power, he would be leading the charge for who to get in the offseason, etc. He is a part of that, but not the entire committee.

Good post.:nod:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
How many years is it going to take, before somebody starts holding him accountable?

Ouch. That's horrible. Unless he gives in the fact that you need top end talent, including offensive to win consistently he won't build a contender here because the talent will have to come from the youth and that youth will need development at the NHL level. We're not going to sign enough veteran scorers. No way. I'm not confident he will ever have the desire or ability to be the kind of coach this team really needs.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

That is disgusting. Please tell me that isn't true.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
“I can’t see myself doing that again,†Tippett said at the time.

BUCKLE UP DAVE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad