Axios: The Athletic lay off 8% of staff, paycuts for the rest.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He said it's a terrible career to get into because the industry is unhealthy. I'm saying they aren't into it because of the money they can make.

They're indeed in this career because that's what they want to do. I fail to see what's wrong with this.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
My guess is they'll have a writer from another sport fill in. You have NBA, MLB and NFL teams in area.

As for this playoff season, reporters may be grouped to cover entire hub scene.
I wonder whether that will be the plan long-term. I don't know if it makes sense to have a person cover every sports team specifically if it doesn't bring in subscribers. I assume there are a number of college football teams with much bigger fanbases than the Coyotes (or other pro sports franchises)

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I wonder if the story feedback ratings were used to select who to let go

I'd bet that the number of readers is the main metric they go by. Most of the layoffs appear to be in smaller markets where the subscription numbers don't justify the expense of having full time writers. Looks like the Athletic is pulling back from covering every market in the major leagues.

I don't believe for one minute this is due to podcast revenues. Their new subscriber numbers have likely fallen off a cliff due to the combination of no live sports and dire economic conditions.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd bet that the number of readers is the main metric they go by. Most of the layoffs appear to be in smaller markets where the subscription numbers don't justify the expense of having full time writers. Looks like the Athletic is pulling back from covering every market in the major leagues.

I don't believe for one minute this is due to podcast revenues. Their new subscriber numbers have likely fallen off a cliff due to the combination of no live sports and dire economic conditions.
What’s the point of keeping a subscription when there is nothing for the reporters to cover? Only the NFL had stuff like the draft and free agency going on since the lockdowns began. NBA and NHL are past their TDL and MLB never got under way. MLS had to stop as well but there’s generally no major off field news during their season.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
The Panthers lost their only non-team affiliated beat writer in George Richards. Sad day.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Remember everyone, the Athletic's "you should pay to support your favorite writers" only exists until they need to protect their profits.

The Athletic is a start-up. I very much doubt it has ever seen any profits. But they do have to watch their burn rate.

You know, I don't love Ken Wiebe's writing, but them hiring him showed to me that The Athletic was serious about giving full Jets coverage. It led to me subscribing for this year. Murat Ates's writing tends to be more thoughtful, but given his stats-heavy backgroound it's also more esoteric. Not sure if I'll keep up my subscription.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
They should be covering eSports

The fact during all of this, that networks didn't make much of a push, or that what they did do just hasn't caught on, ought to be taken as a sign of what the generals audiences appetite is for e-sports really is.

I watched about 5 seconds of NBA 2K league back in March. Haven't even thought about it since.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The fact during all of this, that networks didn't make much of a push, or that what they did do just hasn't caught on, ought to be taken as a sign of what the generals audiences appetite is for e-sports really is.

I watched about 5 seconds of NBA 2K league back in March. Haven't even thought about it since.

I'm not super familiar with eSports, but I believe NBA 2k is pretty insignificant in the eSports landscape. I doubt the poster was alluding to that game.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I'm not super familiar with eSports, but I believe NBA 2k is pretty insignificant in the eSports landscape. I doubt the poster was alluding to that game.

They have shown more than just NBA 2K. I only cited it as an example because its the only thing I even attempted to watch.

Putting e-Sports on TV is like putting Lilly Singh on Late Night. Just because you have an audience on the internet doesn't mean you will have an audience on television.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

Cool but Dota2, LCS and OWL are all insanely popular. OWL gets shown on ABC.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
George Richards was pretty much the go to guy for Panthers related stuff. He was axed. I wont be renewing when my subscription expires.
If they axed Staple for the Isles I would bounce as well.

I was worried with Staple because I don't know how many views he gets but he is the best source for Isles info. Not only the best source but great writer, great guy, I really like him covering us and his word is very good. But Isles aren't the biggest fanbase so I was worried he might have been axed. Now I try and comment and 'like' every article going forward to show some online presence.

Reactions: tealhockey

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
LA Kings just turned Jon Rosen (lakingsinsider) loose.

Until sports get back up to full speed I'm afraid were's going to see a lot more good writers get turfed.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
LA Kings just turned Jon Rosen (lakingsinsider) loose.

Until sports get back up to full speed I'm afraid were's going to see a lot more good writers get turfed.
As someone who has been laid off before it sucks but ultimately part of business. Sometimes it’s just the company that is struggling other times it’s the industry.

have to move onto the next opportunity.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
As someone who has been laid off before it sucks but ultimately part of business. Sometimes it’s just the company that is struggling other times it’s the industry.

have to move onto the next opportunity.

Having something that relies on there being sports for the site to run on and there's nothing to write about, there isn't really much you can really do.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Cool but Dota2, LCS and OWL are all insanely popular. OWL gets shown on ABC.
How were the ratings for OWL? (serious question)

I think esports fans come from the crowd already used to getting content for free (with minimal to no ads), whereas mainstream sports have a built in audience already used to consistent ad breaks. Until the internet product gets worse/ad-saturated, I don't see how the viewing experience on TV can match/compete with how the model currently works. Esports already function as an advertisement (for the game itself), I don't know if esports will ever get to the level of other traditional sports advertisement rev even if it keeps growing

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
How were the ratings for OWL? (serious question)

I think esports fans come from the crowd already used to getting content for free (with minimal to no ads), whereas mainstream sports have a built in audience already used to consistent ad breaks. Until the internet product gets worse/ad-saturated, I don't see how the viewing experience on TV can match/compete with how the model currently works. Esports already function as an advertisement (for the game itself), I don't know if esports will ever get to the level of other traditional sports advertisement rev even if it keeps growing

Stage 1 playoffs:

Overwatch League's ABC semifinal and finals ratings are in | Dot Esports

Grand finals:

Overwatch League Releases 2019 Grand Finals Viewership Numbers – Variety

overall, seems decent, even with ads

Reactions: tealhockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad