Axios: The Athletic lay off 8% of staff, paycuts for the rest.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I subscibe to The Athletic. Pretty sure my two main reasons for subscribing were kept. Dane Brugler for the NFL draft, and Jake Ciely for NFL fantasy coverage. I also know the Athletic kept some of the fat I would have trimmed.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Pretty much inevitable. There's only so much things one can possibly write about sports when there's very little sports going on.
They mainly seem to be attributing it to the lack of ad-revenue from The Athletic podcasts.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well, in that case, "writing about" included "talking about".
I think that hurts significantly, but I also think the launch of their podcast system failed. While they make some public, a bunch you have to subscribe to The Athletic to listen to it, which is going to hurt the number of subscribers a podcast has (which will hurt advertisements).

Reactions: MXD

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Looks like Bruins writer Joe McDonald was whacked - His name has vanished from the staff list :cry:

upload_2020-6-5_15-35-52.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Bostonzamboni

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Craig Morgan who covers the Arizona Coyotes was cut.

He was the reason why I got a subscription in the first place so now I'll have to re-evaluate that.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Has the Athletic dropped coverage completely for some teams then? I believe Craig Morgan was their only local writer for the Coyotes.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Has the Athletic dropped coverage completely for some teams then? I believe Craig Morgan was their only local writer for the Coyotes.

My guess is they'll have a writer from another sport fill in. You have NBA, MLB and NFL teams in area.

As for this playoff season, reporters may be grouped to cover entire hub scene.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad