Axios: The Athletic lay off 8% of staff, paycuts for the rest.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Most are in it to espouse ideology which makes navigating even the sports journalism scene tiresome.
It sure seems that way these days, doesn't it. Opinion instead of reporting.

I cancelled my subscription last month. I really enjoyed some of their articles and analysis initially, but lately most of the content (before the virus shutdowns) came across as filler.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I was considering cancelling my subscription until whenever the hell the Devils actually play again. But it seems Corey Masisak is still there and he does great work on the Devils beat, so I’ll gladly just continue my subscription during this extended Devils offseason to do my incredibly small part of hopefully keeping Masisak employed.

Honestly most of the writers there are great. I understand some don’t see the need to pay for information we can get from other sources for free, but the Athletic is in way more depth and puts out some unique articles.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Not to be a hater but numbers never make sense from all these news releases from them:

The Athletic is typically adding more subscribers per day than ever and has reached the 1 million subscriber milestone, co-founder Alex Mather said.
The company makes more than $60 million in pure subscription revenue

That would only make sense if all subscribers were paying full freight. But many many people are subscribed to discounts, at least for the first year. I'm at my 3rd year of subscription at 50% off and they are running a promo right now for just $1 / month.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020
Not to be a hater but numbers never make sense from all these news releases from them:

That would only make sense if all subscribers were paying full freight. But many many people are subscribed to discounts, at least for the first year. I'm at my 3rd year of subscription at 50% off and they are running a promo right now for just $1 / month.

Now running at half off for 4 years: The Athletic

Reactions: Stumbledore

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
As sport comes back, The Athletic has now crossed 1 million subscribers: The Athletic says it hits 1 million subscribers after surviving sports shutdown

About a month ago, T-Mobile was offering a free 1 year subscription to The Athletic as part of T-Mobile Tuesdays. I couldn't take advantage of it since I already had a paying sub for the service. I wonder how many free subscription and half off subscriptions are part of this 1 million. I've always paid half off for the last couple of years.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
About a month ago, T-Mobile was offering a free 1 year subscription to The Athletic as part of T-Mobile Tuesdays. I couldn't take advantage of it since I already had a paying sub for the service. I wonder how many free subscription and half off subscriptions are part of this 1 million. I've always paid half off for the last couple of years.

Indeed, worth wondering about. Of course, when it comes to counting clicks, the folks who advertise on The Athletic don't care how much or little you paid to see their ads.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Indeed, worth wondering about. Of course, when it comes to counting clicks, the folks who advertise on The Athletic don't care how much or little you paid to see their ads.
That's true. They make money via advertising and subscriptions. As long as the business model works for them and they get the clicks, they can afford to not be making as much via subscriptions.

For Costco, if you look at their bottom line, the amount that they actually net is pretty much equal to the revenue they get from their memberships. I think the typical grocery store chain has a bottom line of around 4%.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
That's true. They make money via advertising and subscriptions. As long as the business model works for them and they get the clicks, they can afford to not be making as much via subscriptions.

For Costco, if you look at their bottom line, the amount that they actually net is pretty much equal to the revenue they get from their memberships. I think the typical grocery store chain has a bottom line of around 4%.

That's interesting. Time to poke my antlers into Costco's publicly-reported financial affairs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->